The Student Room Group

Facilitating subjects at A-level

I would like to study law at university, so do I need to do at least two facilitating subjects at A-level in order to get into a good university? Or will I be fine with one? (Alongside two other subjects of course)
Reply 1
What A levels are you thinking of?
Reply 2
I have applied to do law, politics, history and English literature, but will most likely drop one after the first month. I am not sure whether or not dropping one of the facilitating subjects would be viable.
Original post by Compost
What A levels are you thinking of?
Reply 3
Original post by xxbelle
I have applied to do law, politics, history and English literature, but will most likely drop one after the first month. I am not sure whether or not dropping one of the facilitating subjects would be viable.

I'd have thought you'd be fine with those - but if you have any particular universities in mind then you could check their requirements on line or email them just to be sure.
I am also wanting to study law at university, but at A-level I chose maths, English lit, history and geography. My teachers recommended not to take politics as it isn't classed as a facilitating subject and I don't think law is either at A-level. I would definitely recommend not dropping history or English lit because they are regarded highly by universities and so will give you a better chance at getting into the top unis. However, as long as you have two facilitating subjects I believe you will be fine, good luck:smile:
Reply 5
Okay, thank you! Did you enjoy English lit at A-level? It is the one I am most concerned about as I feel it may not be as enjoyable as the others I have selected, and was what I was considering dropping. However, as you say, it is a facilitating subject so I would rather not drop it.
Original post by poppywarb
I am also wanting to study law at university, but at A-level I chose maths, English lit, history and geography. My teachers recommended not to take politics as it isn't classed as a facilitating subject and I don't think law is either at A-level. I would definitely recommend not dropping history or English lit because they are regarded highly by universities and so will give you a better chance at getting into the top unis. However, as long as you have two facilitating subjects I believe you will be fine, good luck:smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Compost
I'd have thought you'd be fine with those - but if you have any particular universities in mind then you could check their requirements on line or email them just to be sure.
Facilitating subjects also tend to be the ones that will provide you with other options if you change your mind about law.

You also might end up keeping both English Lit and History for year 13, so best not to try predict. Choose the subjects that interest you most! Law is flexible with the subjects you need aslong as you have an essay based subject you are good
Original post by xxbelle
I would like to study law at university, so do I need to do at least two facilitating subjects at A-level in order to get into a good university? Or will I be fine with one? (Alongside two other subjects of course)

You don't need 2 facilitating subjects to do Law at a good Uni. History and English Lit are both common ones for Law students to have but it would be fine to only offer one of them if you did end up preferring Law & Politics at A level.

It's easy enough to confirm this - just look on the uni websites at entry requirements for Law. Sorry to say this @poppywarb but your teacher was wrong about telling you to drop Politics.
Reply 9
Okay, thank you very much. I am actually glad about this as I am currently leaning towards dropping English lit but my careers adviser said it would be best to have 2 or 3 facilitating subjects in order to raise my chances of getting into a Russel Group uni
Original post by harrysbar
You don't need 2 facilitating subjects to do Law at a good Uni. History and English Lit are both common ones for Law students to have but it would be fine to only offer one of them if you did end up preferring Law & Politics at A level.

It's easy enough to confirm this - just look on the uni websites at entry requirements for Law. Sorry to say this @poppywarb but your teacher was wrong about telling you to drop Politics.
Reply 10
Okay thanks. So would one facilitating be enough to provide an alternative, just in case I did change my mind?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Facilitating subjects also tend to be the ones that will provide you with other options if you change your mind about law.

You also might end up keeping both English Lit and History for year 13, so best not to try predict. Choose the subjects that interest you most! Law is flexible with the subjects you need aslong as you have an essay based subject you are good
From what I've heard, they don't usually specify subjects, but essay ones are recommended.
English Lit and history will be very good ones to have, so if you will drop a subject I'd say politics or Law, as they aren't facilitating and dont give you an advantage of getting into uni.
Guess it also depends which unis you're considering
Original post by xxbelle
Original post by xxbelle
Okay, thank you very much. I am actually glad about this as I am currently leaning towards dropping English lit but my careers adviser said it would be best to have 2 or 3 facilitating subjects in order to raise my chances of getting into a Russel Group uni

I'm disappointed your careers adviser said this as I'm an ex careers adviser myself and I know it isn't true. Have a look at the entry requirements for some of the top RG Unis and you will see that they do not insist on particular subjects. However, I always think it's good to have at least one facilitating subject and History is an excellent choice for Law.
The facilitating subject reasoning is something that the Russell Group tell people that most of their universities dont follow. Universities like UCL and Sheffield publish their preferred subject list and Birmingham does for law and none of these insist on facilitating subjects. The only universities who might follow it are Oxbridge and maybe LSE. Politics is on these universities preferred subject list along with the likes of English Literature, History. Sociology and Pstchology. Universities require 2 subjects from their list. This is Birmingham's list. Unfortunately many teachers fall for the RG advice.

We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:
Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development
We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking). If you are not studying an A level combination that includes two of these subjects, please contact the Law School.
Original post by xxbelle
Okay thanks. So would one facilitating be enough to provide an alternative, just in case I did change my mind?
Reply 14
Original post by poppywarb

Your teachers are wrong. Politics is absolutely fine for Law - even for "fussy" universities.
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
The facilitating subject reasoning is something that the Russell Group tell people that most of their universities dont follow. Universities like UCL and Sheffield publish their preferred subject list and Birmingham does for law and none of these insist on facilitating subjects. The only universities who might follow it are Oxbridge and maybe LSE. Politics is on these universities preferred subject list along with the likes of English Literature, History. Sociology and Pstchology. Universities require 2 subjects from their list. This is Birmingham's list. Unfortunately many teachers fall for the RG advice.

We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:
Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development
We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking). If you are not studying an A level combination that includes two of these subjects, please contact the Law School.

This is really helpful, thank you so much
Reply 16
Original post by xxbelle

Any 3 of those 4 are perfect.
Reply 17
Okay great, thanks
Original post by Doones
Any 3 of those 4 are perfect.

Quick Reply

Latest