The Student Room Group

I am a Sikh Girl AMA

So yeah ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Have you ever ran around your local supermarket in a teletubby costume?
Nope but don't worry it's on my bucket list
Lol jokes
Original post by fish finger fan
Have you ever ran around your local supermarket in a teletubby costume?
Reply 3
As a fellow sikh, i would love to hear your views on Khalistan. A very controversial topic but with the 'referendum' in 2020, a quite timely topic also.

Original post by Study_Girl 7
So yeah ask me anything
How long is your hair?
What if we can breathe in space but the government tells us we can't so we don't try to escape?
oh.my.god
Original post by JoshDarnIt
What if we can breathe in space but the government tells us we can't so we don't try to escape?
Original post by lonelyteenager
oh.my.god

Makes you think doesn't it?
It's very long-never cut it in my life
Original post by Kayb7893
How long is your hair?
I will pm them to u
Original post by fdcvgfdg
As a fellow sikh, i would love to hear your views on Khalistan. A very controversial topic but with the 'referendum' in 2020, a quite timely topic also.
Then all I can say is-I feel bad for the astronauts and their heavy helmets

Then all I can say is-I feel bad for the astronauts and their heavy helmets

Same, all that extra baggage and they didn't even know that it was unnecessary :rolleyes:
lol
Same, all that extra baggage and they didn't even know that it was unnecessary :rolleyes:
What do you have to do to be sikh?
So to be a sikh
Treat everyone of both genders equally- regardless of being male or female
Help other human beings around you
I mean I think you have to celebrate the celebrations like how Christians celebrate Christmas etc
if you choose to be a "baptised" sikh(lol had to use the word baptised as I did not know the correct translation)
then you have to keep your hair long
Wear the 5Ks
Theres some more like reading prayers etc but they can be googled

many people think that you have to go to the gurdwara/ holy places of worship and pray every day for religions but with Sikhism it is good to have a clear heart rather than praying all the time.Also you do not have to be a baptised sikh at all in your life, you can just be a sikh without having to follow the stricter rules, it is optional.
Original post by Mixedraceguy
What do you have to do to be sikh?
Does the ideology of sikh sects such as 'Jatt' play against the core beliefs of sikh equality?
I mean yes and no
Yes because ngl there can be/ has been some enimity between different sects of Sikhism, but this is with many other religion as they have different parts of religions with different beliefs.So it is kind of common amongst different religions.But also some of the main reasons for castes are because initially there were many tribes across Persia(now iran) and they all moved slowly into northern India.Then some Jatt tribes(for example) split into the religions-Islam and Sikhism- the common religions of India.This was after Sikhism began as our religion stems from Hinduism.And Alexander the great led his "soldiers" through northern India, many settled in Northern India so many of us have greek ancestry.
Like I don't know if you have ever seen a sikh/ Asian with Blue/green eyes.My grandfather has blue eyes and my grandma has green and my mum and sister have green- and we checked and found that we have Greek ancestry.So to be fair there is a bit of a mix of people (if that makes sense as not everyone will have greek / iranaian ancestry- some people were hindus at the time then they converted- so this lead to more confusion and dispute.

Sorry if it is a bit biased- I mean after all I am Jatt sikh lol.The answer will probably be different depending on who you ask.But it was a really good question.
Original post by YouCantSeeMe
Does the ideology of sikh sects such as 'Jatt' play against the core beliefs of sikh equality?
So yeah ask me anything

Your religion is peaceful and teaches to treat women equally to men which I like about it 😊 Why do Sikhs not cut their hair?
so basically- one of the 5ks is kesh which is the practise to keep our hair long - as set by the 10th Guru-it is to respect God's perfect creation-You.
But don't worry you wont be peanalised if you don't do it if you are not baptised, my dad has short hair but he is not baptised so its fine.
If you're not already, would you ever consider joining the Khalsa or getting baptised?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending