The Student Room Group

Tips for backpacking travelling south east asia?

planning to do 2-4 weeks this summer and any tips for money, locations, activities etc.
Anybody has experiences?
intermediary companies?
My tips will be go for the four weeks rather than the two, and avoid travel companies as much as possible.
Why avoid?
Reply 3
2-4 weeks wont be long enough, that's more of a holiday than travelling. You'll barely have time to see/do much nor make friends which tends to be a key part of travelling. Why not save more and go for longer?
Because, I’m starting a grad job in September and I can’t travel in August. Going Ibiza in mid July. This essentially means I’ve got June - early july. Plus I only have around 2.3k to saved up to play around!
Original post by YouCantSeeMe
Why avoid?

Just adds to the cost a lot vs organising yourself, often by a large amount.
Ironically, a few people at uni have told me to go with an agent because you meet a group and have stuff organised together 😬
Easy just travel to Bangkok.....get a youth hostel like an OYO and you will meet plently of people...then book tours to places like Phuket...etc...then fly to Bali....you will find your way quite easily in the tourist meccas. Also watch youtube videos just type in backpacking... Watch Mark weins for all your food info.

I've done this and currently live in Kuala lumpur and based at the university of nottingham malaysia campus on a year abroad.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks! Will do!
planning to do 2-4 weeks this summer and any tips for money, locations, activities etc.
Anybody has experiences?
intermediary companies?

Heya, I’ve been planning a year abroad in Asia as well! Where abouts are you looking to go? I’ve done quite a bit of research, so I’m happy to help :smile:
Okay so believe it or not, I have been mentally planning this for a year but my life flipped due to uni so I haven’t actually put pen to paper. I was planning on actually booking and stuff 2 weeks before I go. Risky- I know. I’m usually super organised, like I have a full excel itinerary of costing and things to do whenever I go on holiday. But I really wanted the concept of “just living” with this. I could use all the help possible lol. I’m in my exam season right now so I haven’t had time to plan. I wanted to go kuala lumpa, Bali, Thailand at the least, hopefully Vietnam. What about you?
Reply 11
You really need to cut down where you plan to see in the time frame you gave. Otherwise you will spend more time on transport than actually experiencing things.
I would normally almost always suggest going alone and doing it that way, but in a short period of time like that an organised trip sounds like a better idea for you.
Ironically, a few people at uni have told me to go with an agent because you meet a group and have stuff organised together 😬

That's not ironic, it's just contrasting!

Yes that is a plus point, along with just 'ease'. But the downsides are that they will be making a lot of money off of you. They sort of prey on anxiety and laziness when, as mentioned above, going to a hostel and meeting people is actually really easy.

It's your money.
Okay so believe it or not, I have been mentally planning this for a year but my life flipped due to uni so I haven’t actually put pen to paper. I was planning on actually booking and stuff 2 weeks before I go. Risky- I know. I’m usually super organised, like I have a full excel itinerary of costing and things to do whenever I go on holiday. But I really wanted the concept of “just living” with this. I could use all the help possible lol. I’m in my exam season right now so I haven’t had time to plan. I wanted to go kuala lumpa, Bali, Thailand at the least, hopefully Vietnam. What about you?

So I spent 6 weeks in Thailand alone, FYI.

What are you booking? Because if you mean flights... that is kind of silly. You might get a good price... or you might not be able to book one for less than a grand. That's the one thing it's good to do early!

Other stuff... honestly not needed. Maybe a hostel for the first night or two is a good idea, but beyond that you don't want to be pinned down with 'appointments'! Just go where others are going/have recommended!
(edited 4 years ago)
I really wish I couldve booked earlier but because of uni, exams and graduate stuff i couldnt put money down.
Tbh i always wanted to just travel but i was worried that i wouldnt make friends unless i went with a intermediary, I will take your tips on board. The flights will inevitably be last minute or so. Thats awesome for thailand. Maybe i should shorten my idealistic areas. Have you travelled elswhere in the region? How much did you roughly spend?
Original post by nexttime
So I spent 6 weeks in Thailand alone, FYI.

What are you booking? Because if you mean flights... that is kind of silly. You might get a good price... or you might not be able to book one for less than a grand. That's the one thing it's good to do early!

Other stuff... honestly not needed. Maybe a hostel for the first night or two is a good idea, but beyond that you don't want to be pinned down with 'appointments'! Just go where others are going/have recommended!
I really wish I couldve booked earlier but because of uni, exams and graduate stuff i couldnt put money down.
Tbh i always wanted to just travel but i was worried that i wouldnt make friends unless i went with a intermediary, I will take your tips on board. The flights will inevitably be last minute or so. Thats awesome for thailand. Maybe i should shorten my idealistic areas. Have you travelled elswhere in the region? How much did you roughly spend?

Yeah so I can't guarantee you'll never be alone - in fact you almost certainly will be for some periods - but almost everyone who does it loves the freedom and meeting potential and prefers it, including myself. It's more stressful but better.

I have only been to Thailand but hear good things about the rest of the region, especially Vietnam.

The 6 weeks cost me about £2k, but I am very frugal.
£2,000 is a lot of money in southeast Asia, if your a normal person...unless your included flying to and from within that price.
Includes flights
Original post by Realitysreflexx
...unless your included flying to and from within that price.

Yes of course.

We sound soooo similar :smile: I've got everything in a spread sheet with cost, transport, etc! The first thing I would recomend doing is getting the "Hostel World" app if your planning to stay in hostels! It's amazing! I've looked at going to Kuala Lumpa, but found it can be quite expensive so only planned to stay about 3ish days before going to Penang. Similarly with Thailand, I plan to go to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Ko samui. Most of these places had free activitys you could book onto, so thats a HUGE bonus. Vietnam is the one I'm most looking forward to. Ha Long Bay is a must!!

Quick Reply

Latest