The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ive listened to greta thunberg and i dont get what she really wants
she goes on about how climate change is bad but the whole country accepts that it is bad
if she really wants real change she should be campaigning to change peoples lifestyles so that they dont drive or fly or make them become vegan
there is only so much the government can do to reduce emissions
ngl i could skip school and shout at parliament, it doesnt take a genius
and shes from sweden, one of the most eco friendly countries in the world
its easy to shout at the government but not easy to tell people to change their lifestyles to stop climate change
and id like to see her protesting in china or russia
Original post by 11dheald
she goes on about how climate change is bad but the whole country accepts that it is bad
if she really wants real change she should be campaigning to change peoples lifestyles so that they dont drive or fly or make them become vegan
its easy to shout at the government but not easy to tell people to change their lifestyles to stop climate change

The government isn't trying that hard.They are paying lip service mostly.If they were actually bothered by it they wouldn't be opening a new runway at Heathrow or doing fracking or opening a new coal mine.They do the bare minimum to ensure they stay in power for the next 5 years and then it's someone else's problem.Considering the scale of the problem they should have had more than 1 debate in like the last 5 years.It should be headline news.Instead we have Brexit vote after Brexit vote after Brexit vote seemingly into eternity.

I see this being said a lot, but it's just such an insanely stupid point.

As for why? Lets have a look:

Naturally, the British extinction rebellion protesters are going to protest in Britain, because it's where they live. Greta also naturally started her protest movement in her country. Since then she has visited other countries (and spoken to representatives of various countries) to raise awareness, including the World Economic Forum. She's only really been in the spotlight for less than a year.

But the real crux of this is a general theme that because China and other countries are collectively more polluting than the UK or other western countries, that we can't criticise our own place in the problem is nothing more than just lazy (and I mean very lazy) whataboutism. Imagine tutting and shaking your head, suggesting that someone protesting against the Chinese governments authoritarian control instead go protest in North Korea, because their government is worse. It's the kind of comment that comes about by not properly thinking out your position, and instead just reacting.

But there is a very real and more important reason in all of this, beyond what we can and can't do as citizens in the west. A large part of pollution in places like China or India come from the outsourcing of cheap products to those countries, we (as a whole) are a major importer of these goods. Should our governments not only demand that products sourced internal meet certain regulations, but that imports do as well, countries like India or China would be forced to implement cleaner methods of production, or would otherwise see their production reduced.

The final point is that, as you well know, protesting against the government in Russia and especially China isn't looked on very favourably.
My point isn’t that with global cooperation from countries like the USA China India and Russia and Saudi Arabia there is no point in us reducing our emissions if they are just gonna pollute the environment more. There is only a small proportion of the world actually doing anything and nothing is gonna happen in China because it is an authoritarian regime and they don’t have to listen to their people
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I see this being said a lot, but it's just such an insanely stupid point.

As for why? Lets have a look:

Naturally, the British extinction rebellion protesters are going to protest in Britain, because it's where they live. Greta also naturally started her protest movement in her country. Since then she has visited other countries (and spoken to representatives of various countries) to raise awareness, including the World Economic Forum. She's only really been in the spotlight for less than a year.

But the real crux of this is a general theme that because China and other countries are collectively more polluting than the UK or other western countries, that we can't criticise our own place in the problem is nothing more than just lazy (and I mean very lazy) whataboutism. Imagine tutting and shaking your head, suggesting that someone protesting against the Chinese governments authoritarian control instead go protest in North Korea, because their government is worse. It's the kind of comment that comes about by not properly thinking out your position, and instead just reacting.

But there is a very real and more important reason in all of this, beyond what we can and can't do as citizens in the west. A large part of pollution in places like China or India come from the outsourcing of cheap products to those countries, we (as a whole) are a major importer of these goods. Should our governments not only demand that products sourced internal meet certain regulations, but that imports do as well, countries like India or China would be forced to implement cleaner methods of production, or would otherwise see their production reduced.

The final point is that, as you well know, protesting against the government in Russia and especially China isn't looked on very favourably.

sounds quite salty ngl
Reply 125
The infantilisation of public discourse gathers pace, orchestrated by adults with a vested interest in it. Next week there will be another wave of calls for 16 (sixteen) year olds to be given the vote, by people who stand to benefit from them. It's not the kids, it's the adults manipulating them for their advantage. Who pays for this girl's travelling?

Her age is no coincidence and neither is the fact she allegedly suffers from a condition, she ticks all boxes. Lefties everywhere want to lower the voting age, it's all a concerted effort among them at home and abroad. It's obvious why they want it, isn't it?
(edited 4 years ago)
Breasts without prosecution and fans mean nothing

Haha

The above is why you shouldn't use audio dictate typing. What I actually said was...Arrests without prosecution and fines means nothing.

It's a really good piece!

I think one thing that really bugs some people is just how much younger people understand issues now, how well they communicate about them and how determined they are to do something about them.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's a really good piece!

I think one thing that really bugs some people is just how much younger people understand issues now, how well they communicate about them and how determined they are to do something about them.

haha, I'll tell her.:h:
Ms Thunburg's school needs to put her in detention and make her write 10000 times

"i must not be an annoying twonk"

*"Jag får inte vara en irriterande twonk" in her own tongue.
They’ve glued themselves to the LSE and on top of the DLR at Canary Wharf
Original post by the bear
Ms Thunburg's school needs to put her in detention and make her write 10000 times

Couldn't find a 'twonk' on the Ikea site, I think you have confused it with the Twank, which is a talking bear.
Original post by Andrew97
They’ve glued themselves to the LSE and on top of the DLR at Canary Wharf

just to clarify that is the stock exchange, not the leftie echo chamber.
just to clarify that is the stock exchange, not the leftie echo chamber.

I have to lol that you think LSE is some sort of leftie central, it's been a bedrock of econo-political right wingery for about the last 40 years. Perhaps Bear has been watching too many 1970s TV shows?
Couldn't find a 'twonk' on the Ikea site, I think you have confused it with the Twank, which is a talking bear.

hmmmm....

"....it may be derived from an older British gay slang term twank, which means: "The quarry of a homosexual prostitute (male); a man willing and ready to become any dominant man's 'partner'".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twink_(gay_slang)

:beard:
hmmmm....

"....it may be derived from an older British gay slang term twank, which means: "The quarry of a homosexual prostitute (male); a man willing and ready to become any dominant man's 'partner'".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twink_(gay_slang)

:beard:

I guess maybe there is a link, because the subject here is talking out of one's arse.
Someone should glue them to an anchor and drop them in the Thames.
I have to lol that you think LSE is some sort of leftie central, it's been a bedrock of econo-political right wingery for about the last 40 years. Perhaps Bear has been watching too many 1970s TV shows?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnILDBlz3HRm46Oh0xdw2jWu7EFgTVQQP4lv-jDb7fsfryhzXZ

9C7FAD70-E449-403F-942B-B687241DC619.jpg.jpeg

Latest

Trending

Trending