The Student Room Group

Date rape wristbands

Scroll to see replies

But why, it has no relevance to this issue. You just brought it up to make it look like I don't care about men's issues. There is no relation whatsoever in this instance. You questioned me calling it a women's issue. That implies that you believe there to be a close enough split in the sex of the victim: "I'm saying that men are also very likely to be victim of spiked drinks" - that's what you said, and compared to women, no, they are not very likely to be a victim of this. You lie.
Original post by idk01
The domestic abuse issue was a side point, I mentioned it alongside being raped, which often stems from spiked drinks. When did I ever say there are just as many male victims as there are female victims? I haven't made anything up, I haven't lied and my arguments have been on-topic and relevant, whereas you just respond with wish-washy over the top exaggerations that don't have any real truthfulness. So yes you are the worst debater I've ever encountered and I've encountered many.
Reply 41
An interesting idea but rather pointless given there are dozens of 'date rape drugs' with the aforementioned just being the most public.
Of course it doesnt even consider the fact that the majority come about through simple intoxication never mind drugging...
Original post by Napp
An interesting idea but rather pointless given there are dozens of 'date rape drugs' with the aforementioned just being the most public.
Of course it doesnt even consider the fact that the majority come about through simple intoxication never mind drugging...

Correct.
A study done ( I read last year) showed that the most common date rape drug was alcohol, and in most cases self administered.
Well I guess they have good intentions and it's promising that people are working to create technology to keep people safer. :smile:
Original post by ThomH97
A wristband that lets wearers check if their drink has been spiked with a date rape drug has gone on sale on Germany.

It works by you mixing your drink thoroughly, then putting a few drops of your drink onto a test spot (there are two in the sample one) on the wristband, and waiting two minutes to see if the area goes blue to indicate the date rape drug GHB.

While it is a good thing to prevent oneself being drugged and robbed or raped, is this method really practical? I can see two issues, both stemming from the assumption that you would want an enjoyable evening/night out.

Firstly is the 2 minute wait. This is really too long to consciously hold in your head to not take a sip, without putting a real dampener on your evening. If it were quick like checking your phone for the time, then it would be okay, but to be actively thinking continuously for two minutes that someone walking around or sitting nearby wants to rob or rape you when you're unconscious means you're not really enjoying your time. Why go somewhere that has a great enough chance of being drugged that you're going to spend 2 minutes waiting to have a sip each time your attention is turned momentarily elsewhere?

Second is actually doing it in front of someone who you simultaneously want to get along with, but also distrust enough to suspect them of being a robber or rapist. Actively keeping an eye on your drink is one thing, as it can be done naturally, but to come back from the toilet, or even after turning around for a moment, give your companion a dirty look before testing your drink and waiting two minutes (making small talk as to what you suspect them of?), is really awkward. That's really quite a lot of mental gymnastics to be performing when you want to get to know someone.

There is also the issue of other drugs being used. More tests could be included, but I imagine them giving a false sense of security. If you are worried about your drink being spiked, keep an eye on it, or have someone you trust keep and eye on it.

The upsides I can see are enabling someone to avoid drinking a GHB spiked drink if they test it, and deterring would be criminals from the specific individuals who are wearing the wristbands. These are both dealt with by looking after your drink though, so is it really worth going for a night out if you're bringing so much worry and paranoia with you?

Original post by RazzzBerries
I agree wholly with what you've pointed out here. Science is getting there and these bands sound like a great idea, but the creators have got to reassess the situation to make sure they can get them a) working faster and b) in a more discrete manner.

For now though, I don't see any reason to stop them going on sale. It's better than nothing!

Original post by CommanderKeen
It's just a drug test pee cup strapped around your hand, you can buy simple test kits yourself, also it does not prevent you getting drugged after you do the test.
It's more like the illusion of safety...
Original post by -Eirlys-
Well I guess they have good intentions and it's promising that people are working to create technology to keep people safer. :smile:
Original post by idk01
God all these little insults like 'sad'. You're making this so personal, learn to argue properly. The principle still applies, I'm not spinning the story. If you went on a date to a restaurant with someone from, lets say, Tinder, and they went up to the bar to order drinks for both of you, would you test it to see if it had been spiked? Honestly? That's not normal behaviour, that's paranoia, dear.

It's not paranoia it's protection, safety . It happens all the time. But if your ego is so fragile that you can't accept people taking precautions around you, that's your problem.

Is it paranoia to not accept a lift from a stranger when drunk? No it's protection.
That sounds awesome!
Original post by JoshDarnIt
I swear the other day I saw something where these guys made this nail polish with which you stir your drink with your finger and depending on if your drink was spiked, your nail would change to a different colour.
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
That sounds awesome!

Quite a neat concept yeah :cute:
Quite a neat concept yeah :cute:

Yeah I like how subtle it could be and assuming it would be quick too :smile: I don't personally drink out much but I do know alot of people who have been date raped, a good few being male so it would be nice to have a product that was gender neutral, or even just colourless nail polish until it tested positive. <3
Yeah I like how subtle it could be and assuming it would be quick too :smile: I don't personally drink out much but I do know alot of people who have been date raped, a good few being male so it would be nice to have a product that was gender neutral, or even just colourless nail polish until it tested positive. <3

Wait, guys have been date raped too? I've never heard of that happening tbf. Yeah though, it would be nice to have a gender neutral product, and luckily for me I don't drink. Plus, if this product was gender neutral, you wouldn't find me wearing it :lol:
Original post by Decahedron
Top tip, you can't spike shots because they aren't around long enough.

Problem solved.

Slight problem that by the end of the night, you're as out of it as if you'd been dosed by the would-be rapist.
Original post by Notoriety
Slight problem that by the end of the night, you're as out of it as if you'd been dosed by the would-be rapist.

Can't get hurt if everybody blacks out :h:

:eek: Please say you are joking
**** my future plans are foiled *******s guess im gonna have to go back to dead bodies xd :0 add my snap geb119

RIP Deca's liver.

Original post by Pugglet

She might just be joking.
Original post by Pugglet

I will leave the interpretation up to you :h:
Wait, guys have been date raped too? I've never heard of that happening tbf. Yeah though, it would be nice to have a gender neutral product, and luckily for me I don't drink. Plus, if this product was gender neutral, you wouldn't find me wearing it :lol:

Yeah about of my male friends have been drugged with the date rape drug :frown: I think who ever was drugging them probs was aiming for one of the women they were out with but still, one got beaten up outside the club after, the other managed to find his way home but felt awful the next few days and the third had to go to hospital. x
Yeah about of my male friends have been drugged with the date rape drug :frown: I think who ever was drugging them probs was aiming for one of the women they were out with but still, one got beaten up outside the club after, the other managed to find his way home but felt awful the next few days and the third had to go to hospital. x

Oh damn, that's not good :/ It's horrible that people feel the need to do this to be quite honest, some nasty people in this world.
Original post by Notoriety
RIP Deca's liver.

That was pickled long ago.
Oh damn, that's not good :/ It's horrible that people feel the need to do this to be quite honest, some nasty people in this world.

There definitely is, alot more good people than bad though, I always have to remind myself of that when awful things happen <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending