People petition McDonald's to bring back plastic straws Watch

ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Almost 40,000 people have signed a petition asking McDonald's to bring back plastic straws. Obviously paper straws aren't nearly as effective as plastic ones (if you had to choose a material that needed to keep its integrity when wet, only an idiot chooses paper over plastic), but they are also much less harmful to the environment (if you had to choose a material to ingest, only an idiot chooses plastic over paper). However, for a lot of people, the trade off in usability for the environment is too much, as they find they can't actually consume their drink, or they end up slurping parts of their degraded straw.

Clearly a lot of the reasons for this are questionable at best and have been widely mocked and derided, but there is a point of interest for all of us - to what extent do we sacrifice convenience or even utility because people aren't recycling the recyclable? The main problem isn't from people using plastic straws, it is that people aren't recycling them when they clearly can.
Sheilaaaaahh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nando’s have paper straws and I think they’re coated with something because they feel like plastic. These straws are really good for drinks and are better for the environment than plastic, but I think it’s about cost. McDonalds is a cheaper place than Nando’s and so needs to save money, they aren’t willing to pay more for the straws that fix both problems.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JoshDarnIt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to eat paper as a kid so I really don't mind slurping up bits of a paper straw.

I choose to keep paper straws :cute:
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
maybe they should stop chewing and biting their straws as they drink, it's not food.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
McDonalds' customers are not the sharpest harpoons in the fo'c'sle. they are probably not using the straws correctly.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Y'know, I could understand McD's position here if it wasn't for one slight issue…

The cups that these environment-saving paper straws are meant to be used for are made from – you guessed it – non-recyclable plastic.

Not exactly being a champion for the environment there.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally speaking i am more alarmed at the fact that people go McDonalds (the epitome of the cheapest rubbish at the highest consumer prices) than i am whether their straws work effectively.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Gosh, what happened to people wanting to help the planet? Suddenly they're not that supportive when it causes the slightest inconvenience for them. :mad: They can literally buy fold-able reusable straws and/or they can take the lid off and drink it like they drink things at home. :dontknow: McDonald's could stop making straws altogether if people didn't act so spoilt. :rolleyes:
(Original post by ThomH97)
Almost 40,000 people have signed a petition asking McDonald's to bring back plastic straws. Obviously paper straws aren't nearly as effective as plastic ones (if you had to choose a material that needed to keep its integrity when wet, only an idiot chooses paper over plastic), but they are also much less harmful to the environment (if you had to choose a material to ingest, only an idiot chooses plastic over paper). However, for a lot of people, the trade off in usability for the environment is too much, as they find they can't actually consume their drink, or they end up slurping parts of their degraded straw.

Clearly a lot of the reasons for this are questionable at best and have been widely mocked and derided, but there is a point of interest for all of us - to what extent do we sacrifice convenience or even utility because people aren't recycling the recyclable? The main problem isn't from people using plastic straws, it is that people aren't recycling them when they clearly can.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good.

1/3 of the drink left and suddenly I am eating paper, like I am back in reception class.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)
Y'know, I could understand McD's position here if it wasn't for one slight issue…

The cups that these environment-saving paper straws are meant to be used for are made from – you guessed it – non-recyclable plastic.

They could have set up cup/straw collection stations to recycle the cups and straws instead of gimmicky paper straws in plastic coated cups with a plastic lid.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is clearly a Poe's Law wind up. The petition says... "So I can drink my milkshake proper".
Probably someone doing research into how many thick, selfish ***** there are.
Last edited by QE2; 1 month ago
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)

McDonald's cups are made from paper.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QE2)
McDonald's cups are made from paper.
AFAIK they're plastic coated card (which isn't recyclable), and the lids are 100% plastic.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)
AFAIK they're plastic coated card (which isn't recyclable), and the lids are 100% plastic.
You recycle them with things like juice cartons.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alternatively they could just drink it without a straw. Who over the age of 12 needs to drink with a straw anyway?
lostplot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThomH97)

its actually disgusting. Its like pure paper. They need to fix it up the material gets soggy fgs
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They're not just ineffective, they're bloody awful to drink through. I ended up getting some stainless steel metal ones to replace the plastic ones.
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I won’t be joining the back to plastic crusade, I’d petition for better quality paper straws. The Nando’s ones work much better and last longer before crumbling. Maybe try that instead, because I don’t think many other people will be joining.
Telamonian Ajax
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sheilaaaaahh)
Nando’s have paper straws and I think they’re coated with something because they feel like plastic. These straws are really good for drinks and are better for the environment than plastic, but I think it’s about cost. McDonalds is a cheaper place than Nando’s and so needs to save money, they aren’t willing to pay more for the straws that fix both problems.
I don't think money is much of a problem for McDonald's, they should be easily able to fund whatever Nando's is doing.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Plastic straws should not return at McDonalds, indeed they should be outlawed, along with all forms of single use plastic. I would like to see these fast 'food' places restricted in what they can sell and when they can open, at least to children, as a step towards tackling obesity.

We will have less convenience if fish are killed by plastic and the oceans polluted. As long as everyone is similarly losing a bit of convenience and people are not being singled out, seems fair enough to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (283)
15.22%
The paper was reasonable (1033)
55.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (403)
21.68%
It was TERRIBLE (140)
7.53%

Watched Threads