The Student Room Group

can a 14 year old(soon to be 15) tutor in math and science

hello , so basically i wanted to tutor year 5 and 6 in math and science for about 15 pounds per hour for only math or only science and 25 for 2 hours of math and science. i really need the cash and i think i can teach year 5 and 6 , i usually get 7's and 8's in my tests and i think i know the basics. i also was thinking about doing it at my house every Friday from 4 pm to 6 pm and Saturday from 1 to 4 .

am i costing too much?
can i be a tutor?
if not then what other jobs can i get at 14(that pays 15 pounds )?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by panicking idiot
hello , so basically i wanted to tutor year 5 and 6 in math and science for about 15 pounds per hour for only math or only science and 25 for 2 hours of math and science. i really need the cash and i think i can teach year 5 and 6 , i usually get 7's and 8's in my tests and i think i know the basics. i also was thinking about doing it at my house every Friday from 4 pm to 6 pm and Saturday from 1 to 4 .

am i costing too much?
can i be a tutor?

cant answer your other questions but you're highly unlikely to find another job at your age that pays £15 an hour thats very high.

when you're 16 i would recommend becoming a waitor and with good tips you could technically make over £15 an hour but your basic wage will be 6.15-8 ish depending on the company, but could be even less as min wage only counts for over 18

am i costing too much?
can i be a tutor?

No - you haven't passed any exams yet and wouldn't be old enough. No job will pay £15 a hour at your age.
I guess some parents out there will pay you. May want to adjust the cost when requested/be free to negotiation.
Reply 4
No one would take you seriously.
Reply 5
I would definitely charge less if you were to go ahead with it as you do not have any qualifications and years 5 & 6 are not really working towards any proper exams other than SATs, so it is quite a lot to pay seeing as SATs are not even very important. You could try getting a job at places like Sports direct, WHSmiths, hairdressers or cafes, but don't expect £15 p/h

Good luck :smile:

am i costing too much?
can i be a tutor?
Reply 6

am i costing too much?
can i be a tutor?

No offense but being good at something and being good at teaching are two very different things...
Any parent serious about getting private tuition for their kid would pay a suitable graduate, not some kid who hasn't even sat their GCSEs.
Honestly, probably not. If people are going to pick a teenager to tutor their kids, they'll probably pick someone studying A-Levels or take them to a tutoring centre. There are national tutoring chains like Explore Learning that teach SATs and 11-plus subjects to kids.
I know how it feels to be wanting money before you can legally work but it's not gonna happen. What is it that you really need that money for? I'm doubtful that it's food or housing, I really don't want to be patronising but you just won't be able to get this. I want to say as well that when I worked for Explore Learning at 16, I got paid £4.75 an hour when I started- there's no way you'll be getting £15 and getting rich quick. Minimum wage (that's what you'll probably be earning near for your first job at 16) is £4 something for under 18s.
Wait til you turn 16 and then find a job. If you do want to tutor anyway, you'll need some experience with kids. Maybe now think about volunteering to build up some experience for when you are 18.
i reeeealy need the money since i broke my friends i phone x and i need to buy her a new one
how much would you recommend to cost ?
Original post by xxbelle
I would definitely charge less if you were to go ahead with it as you do not have any qualifications and years 5 & 6 are not really working towards any proper exams other than SATs, so it is quite a lot to pay seeing as SATs are not even very important. You could try getting a job at places like Sports direct, WHSmiths, hairdressers or cafes, but don't expect £15 p/h

Good luck :smile:

thank you, how much would you recommend to cost ?
Do you have any other idea to earn 15 pounds a week? how many hours would i need to work to get 15 pounds a week....
thank you
Original post by NotImaginative
Honestly, probably not. If people are going to pick a teenager to tutor their kids, they'll probably pick someone studying A-Levels or take them to a tutoring centre. There are national tutoring chains like Explore Learning that teach SATs and 11-plus subjects to kids.
I know how it feels to be wanting money before you can legally work but it's not gonna happen. What is it that you really need that money for? I'm doubtful that it's food or housing, I really don't want to be patronising but you just won't be able to get this. I want to say as well that when I worked for Explore Learning at 16, I got paid £4.75 an hour when I started- there's no way you'll be getting £15 and getting rich quick. Minimum wage (that's what you'll probably be earning near for your first job at 16) is £4 something for under 18s.
Wait til you turn 16 and then find a job. If you do want to tutor anyway, you'll need some experience with kids. Maybe now think about volunteering to build up some experience for when you are 18.
i know but i need the money somehow .. do you have any ideas?
Original post by Ciel.
No offense but being good at something and being good at teaching are two very different things...
how many hours would i need to work to earn 15 pounds a week
Original post by Muttley79
No - you haven't passed any exams yet and wouldn't be old enough. No job will pay £15 a hour at your age.
Your username seems to really fit this scenario lol :smile: Try a paper round at that age, any employer would just take the mick with the wage they pay you as you're not 16
i reeeealy need the money since i broke my friends i phone x and i need to buy her a new one
I'm not sure, as it completely depends on both the parent and the quality of your tutoring. However, I saw that you are aiming to get £15 a week, which is perfectly doable with any job. I had a job when i was 14-15 and I worked 4 hours on a Saturday and got paid £17 pounds for it. Plus I could choose to work 6 hours and/or for more days a week so I could have easily surpassed that amount if i had the time.
how much would you recommend to cost ?

thank you, how much would you recommend to cost ?
Reply 16
I'm in Year 13 and I just about get paid £25 for two hours to tutor. And that took 2 years. It's unlikely you'll get paid without any qualifications.

am i costing too much?
can i be a tutor?

£15 an hour might be a bit expensive - I tutored maths when I was in Year 11 (I tutored GCSE students) and I charged £10 an hour. But you could get away with it if you really wanted the extra.

Yes you can definitely be a tutor - and compared to Year...10?, year 5/6 maths and science is easy. You'll be fine :smile: Younger tutors might be more popular for kids anyway. But obviously make sure you have the ability to tutor. Perhaps do a test session with a friend, sibling or cousin to make sure you're okay at explaining things in a simple way.

A lot of jobs accept 14-15 year olds; probably more for 15 than 14 though. I worked in a Pharmacy at 14, behind the till. I knew one girl who washed dishes in a pub... Dog walking is really well paid if you can do that.
Also I have a few friends who worked at swimming instructors/assistants with little kids. You don't have to be an amazing swimmer and the pay can be quite good (and increases as you get older).
(edited 5 years ago)
At your age no. You probably would only get a job with someone who knows you, like a friend or family, even then £15 is abit too much for them, probably £7 per hour. But you never anyway. You need to have real examinations to prove to people you can teach their child, not mocks.

A job for a 14 year old will be hard to find, but then again,you might find something with a uncle or aunty, or family friend. My suggestion is wait and do your gcse exams, be patient. When your done, you will have lots of jobs waiting for you. You will have plenty of time later on to earn money (50 years).

GL
how many hours would i need to work to earn 15 pounds a week

Probably about 3 - 4 ... if you can find a job.

Latest