The Student Room Group

OCR A-level History Unit 1: Y101-Y113 or Y131-Y143 - 15 May or 5 June 2019

Hello and welcome to the OCR History AS and A Level Exam Threads

:party:

See here for unit 2, and here for unit 3.

Dates
AS: Wednesday 15th May (Afternoon)
A Level: Wednesday 5th June (Afternoon)

Specification Link:
https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/history-a-h105-h505-from-2015/

TSR History Study Resources:
How to write a Killer History Essay
TSR History Study Discussion Thread
TSR Revision Hub
Over 35 000 History Study Resources

Topics

Alfred and the Making of England 871–1016

Anglo-Saxon England and the Norman Conquest

England 1199–1272

England 1377–1455

England 1445–1509: Lancastrians, Yorkists and Henry VII

England 1485–1558: the Early Tudors

England 1547–1603: the Later Tudors

The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603–1660

The Making of Georgian Britain 1678–c.1760

From Pitt to Peel: Britain 1783–1853

Liberals, Conservatives and the Rise of Labour 1846–1918

Britain 1900–1951

Britain 1930–1997

This thread can be used for both AS and A Level exams. The biggest difference is in the exam layout and amount of questions.

Click here to tell us what topic you're doing, and see the list here for who else is doing your topic.:smile:

I did Pitt to Peel for A Level two years ago, feel free to ask me anything.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Revision Tips

thehistoryboreExams are coming up, and I don't know about you but that gives me heart palpitations; but if you're not bricking it, you're not prepared enough! I've seen a handful of exam seasons in my time and I've tried and tested a few methods of revising for History exams. So let me share what's worked for me.

METHOD A; REVISIONCEPTION

Think of the film Inception; it's a dream within a dream within a dream etc. Think of this method as notes within notes within notes etc. Here's how you do it;

- Use textbooks to compile a complete revision guide. You shouldn't simply copy out texts; engage your brain and treat it as a comprehension task and make clear notes, you'll get more out of it that way! Divide the book into chapters based on the topic that they focus on. The notes should be fairly detailed.
- Then, write a more condensed version of these notes based along the same technique; effectively, cut out words to leave the bare information.
- Repeat until you have two or three pages worth of notes for your whole course/module. You can read them the morning of the exam and it should all come flowing back to you. It did for me!

METHOD B; THE READER

You definitely have to be a 'visual learner' for this, so it may not work for all of you. Nevertheless, you should all aim to read at least one book outside your textbook, particularly for A-Level. It'll help develop your understanding of topics enormously.

Effectively; find a book that covers most of your course (there's literally millions of history books out there covering all sorts of things, so there's no excuses saying that there's no book for your course). Then close read it - no skimming. Simple and effective.

If you're doing a degree, you obviously need to read more than one book!

METHOD C; MIND MAPPING

Not something I do extensively, but it helps an awful lot of people and thus is more than worthy of mention.

Make beautiful and colourful mind maps (the more simple they are the better; don't make a wall of text. Each end of a brand should have no more than five or six words on them) on each topic and pin them up directly above your bed; make them the first thing you see in the morning, and the last thing you see in the evening. Revision owns you now. Don't forget it.

METHOD D; INTERACTIVE REVISION

Ever heard of Prezi? No? Well you should do. It's like a more exciting version of PowerPoint, and the more exciting something is the better you will remember it.

Make yourself presentations on topics and then flick through them! It's a quick and simple way to make them.

A friend of mine was a bit of a wizard when it came to video production; he used to make these excellent revision videos (which he gave to my school, rather than making them open source on YouTube, so unfortunately I cannot share them). So if that's your thing, get creative!

undercxver
Condensing Content/Speeding up revision:

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

Condense events into 3 bullet points (linking with the point above)

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

Do every single past paper question

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute

Time yourself when doing essays

Practice writing really fast

If you're struggling with content then go through a revision book.

If teachers tell you some sort of prediction I suggest you don't go by it and revise everything!

Source Questions:

You need to consider the following things:

Purpose: What's the purpose of the source? (e.g. to inform, to describe etc.)

Author: Who's the author of the source? Does this make them biased in any way?

Nature: What type of source is it? (e.g. book, report, article etc.)

Date: When was it published? Does the date have any significance? Is it outdated?

Audience: Who was the audience? How did it impact them? [this one isn't neccessary]

General questions to ask yourself:

How useful is the source?

Did the author/writer omit anything?

Is there any bias? -Why is there bias? How is it neutral?

Hello all :hello:

Just checking in to see how's revision going?:smile:

Anyone struggling?:redface:
What are you finding the easiest/hardest to revise?:beard:

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
Hello all :hello:

Just checking in to see how's revision going?:smile:

Anyone struggling?:redface:
What are you finding the easiest/hardest to revise?:beard:

Spoiler

Struggling with Tudor Foreign Policy and nailing the 25 marker thematic essays. :/
Reply 4
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Struggling with Tudor Foreign Policy and nailing the 25 marker thematic essays. :/

Same on the 25 markers!
Whose doing Britain 1930-1997?
Reply 6
Original post by anonoymous1234

I am! :smile: Anything I can help with?
Reply 7
Am doing it too!
was just wondering how everyone feels for this exam, things they are doing now to revise & any predictions for topics that may come up?
Original post by BHSC
Am doing it too!

I am! :smile: Anything I can help with?
Reply 9
was just wondering how everyone feels for this exam, things they are doing now to revise & any predictions for topics that may come up?

More confident for this then Unit 3 which was just an annihilation by OCR.

For sources Q, India and the Abdication hasn't come up yet iirc. For the essay question, the Britain's position in the world question is likely to be on Europe.
Reply 10

For sources Q, India and the Abdication hasn't come up yet iirc. For the essay question, the Britain's position in the world question is likely to be on Europe.

Am not sure how I feel...i tend to find it harder to get the higher marks on the sources bit. My teacher also thinks India and abdication might come up. I'm thinking Thatcher/Conservatives 1951-1963 for the essays but i think Britain's relationship w/ Europe is a safe bet, considering current affairs. Am doing as many practices as I can on types of questions that might come up. I am not sure how to revise content apart from just writing it out over and over again! You?
Yeah I agree I feel a lot more confident for this then Unit 3 , & yeah India & abdication is likely (I also think maybe something from international diplomacy, e.g relations with USSR or de Gaulle & France?) & see I did not think Britains position in the world would come up again for the third year running? - especially Europe which was on the sample paper? (although watch this happen now hahaha) - IM PRAYING the Conservative Domination 1951-1964 topic comes up . & yeah I'm pretty much doing the same, just planning essays and going through content via flashcards (& trying to do this in depth so I don't miss anything out). tbh I would say this is my best paper across all my a levels but am still really scared lmao. ALSO does anyone else struggle with timing for this paper - I tend to finish on the dot but omg timing for this paper is so tight

Original post by BHSC
Am not sure how I feel...i tend to find it harder to get the higher marks on the sources bit. My teacher also thinks India and abdication might come up. I'm thinking Thatcher/Conservatives 1951-1963 for the essays but i think Britain's relationship w/ Europe is a safe bet, considering current affairs. Am doing as many practices as I can on types of questions that might come up. I am not sure how to revise content apart from just writing it out over and over again! You?
Who’s doing Britain 1901-1951?
Reply 13
I agree about the timing...I finish but just about, I think I take too long on the sources bit! Fingers crossed for a decent paper...same, I'm trying to make sure I don't miss out any content!
Yeah I agree I feel a lot more confident for this then Unit 3 , & yeah India & abdication is likely (I also think maybe something from international diplomacy, e.g relations with USSR or de Gaulle & France?) & see I did not think Britains position in the world would come up again for the third year running? - especially Europe which was on the sample paper? (although watch this happen now hahaha) - IM PRAYING the Conservative Domination 1951-1964 topic comes up . & yeah I'm pretty much doing the same, just planning essays and going through content via flashcards (& trying to do this in depth so I don't miss anything out). tbh I would say this is my best paper across all my a levels but am still really scared lmao. ALSO does anyone else struggle with timing for this paper - I tend to finish on the dot but omg timing for this paper is so tight
Reply 14
Original post by BHSC

I have the revision guide for Unit 1 so I'm going to make questions on the key information for the course and learn it. Most of the knowledge, I already know, it's just really precise detail. :smile:
Reply 15

I would hate something on international diplomacy, i.e. relations with USSR or de Gaulle and France to come up for question 1 so I need to go over that this week. Conservative Domination would be a lovely topic but I still think Britain's relations with Europe is likely to come up but it'll be a slightly rephrased question to the one found in the specimen paper. Timing wise, I'm fine afaik. :smile:
Reply 16
I have the revision guide for Unit 1 so I'm going to make questions on the key information for the course and learn it. Most of the knowledge, I already know, it's just really precise detail. :smile:

That's actually a really good idea...think i might nick it :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by BHSC
That's actually a really good idea...think i might nick it :biggrin:

Feel free lol :biggrin:
Reply 18
I was just revising the Britain topic and came across this question: "Assess the reasons why Britain joined the EEC in 1972" ...was wondering if either of you had any ideas on how to tackle/structure this question as I'm a bit stuck! Thank youuuu :smile:
Feel free lol :biggrin:

Reply 19
Britain joined the EEC in 1973 for various reasons, most importantly I would say the retirement of de Gaulle in 1969 who had previously vetoed British attempts to join under both Macmillan and Wilson. other factors would probably be: how pro-European premiership of Heath, Britain's economic difficulties, and proven ineffectiveness of the colonial Empire/ common wealth (and the EFTA), which was largely realised in the early 1960s, but was reemphasised by the economic difficulties of the the 1970s.

Latest

Trending

Trending