The Student Room Group

I have literally no Uni offers. Wtf am I gonna do?!

Okay, so. I am a Computer Science applicant applying to Scottish Universities, I have grades ABBCC at Scottish Higher, which is not the best but it’s over most of the minimum entry requirements of the courses I’ve applied to and still good enough for conditional offers or even unconditional offers (seen people with lower than that get offers for the same course).
I was not expecting offers from all of them, but I have been given no offers. None. Zero. All rejections.
I guess I could apply through clearing but this whole process has really disheartened me and I’m having second thoughts about everything! My personal statement wasn’t bad, there were no mistakes on my application, I was told I received good references, my referee checked everything and deemed it all just fine. I just have no idea what to do! Any advice at all from anyone who’s been in a similar situation or knows of anyone who’s been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by ground_cinnamon
Okay, so. I am a Computer Science applicant applying to Scottish Universities, I have grades ABBCC at Scottish Higher, which is not the best but it’s over most of the minimum entry requirements of the courses I’ve applied to and still good enough for conditional offers or even unconditional offers (seen people with lower than that get offers for the same course).
I was not expecting offers from all of them, but I have been given no offers. None. Zero. All rejections.
I guess I could apply through clearing but this whole process has really disheartened me and I’m having second thoughts about everything! My personal statement wasn’t bad, there were no mistakes on my application, I was told I received good references, my referee checked everything and deemed it all just fine. I just have no idea what to do! Any advice at all from anyone who’s been in a similar situation or knows of anyone who’s been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any offers but it's hard to guess why that might be without seeing your applications. It must be disheartening but maybe other people offered better subject combinations or GCSEs or something like that?

You don't need to wait for Clearing since you are eligible to apply to another uni straight away via UCAS Extra. You can use the UCAS website to see which unis still have vacancies for Computer Science and if you see a uni you like the look of, phone their Admissions to see if they will consider someone with your grades.

If you get reasonable grades it is highly likely that you will get placed - whether through Extra or Clearing. Try to stay positive and believe that you have a lot to offer and will get in :smile:
Reply 2
Not many universities in Scotland have Clearing places for Scottish applicants :frown: it's ********.

Where did you apply to and what were the entry requirements?
The problem is because its free there are strict quotas. OP could try English or Welsh universities in extra but then would have to pay the same fees as other countries students.
Original post by swanseajack1
The problem is because its free there are strict quotas. OP could try English or Welsh universities in extra but then would have to pay the same fees as other countries students.

Yeh I’d be open to go to English or Welsh Unis but I really do not have enough money to do so, my family don’t earn well and so can’t afford to help me through uni so I’d be lucky to get through uni in Scotland without paying fees + accommodation + part time job etc. Thanks for your input though :smile:
Original post by Airmed
Not many universities in Scotland have Clearing places for Scottish applicants :frown: it's ********.

Where did you apply to and what were the entry requirements?

I applied to Robert Gordon, University of Dundee, Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde and Edinburgh. I wasn’t expecting anything back at all from Edinburgh or Strathclyde as I’m just under their minimum I just wanted to have even a sliver of a chance of getting in! I think Dundee min is BBBB, RGU is BBCC and HeriotWatt ABBB as far as I remember.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
Sorry to hear that you didn't get any offers but it's hard to guess why that might be without seeing your applications. It must be disheartening but maybe other people offered better subject combinations or GCSEs or something like that?

You don't need to wait for Clearing since you are eligible to apply to another uni straight away via UCAS Extra. You can use the UCAS website to see which unis still have vacancies for Computer Science and if you see a uni you like the look of, phone their Admissions to see if they will consider someone with your grades.

If you get reasonable grades it is highly likely that you will get placed - whether through Extra or Clearing. Try to stay positive and believe that you have a lot to offer and will get in :smile:

I’ve tried through extra but just been met with rejections cause I’ve ‘applied after the deadline’ I presume of Jan 15th? Obviously I applied to UCAS before then but maybe because it’s through extra it’s late... if so then that system seems kind of broken... thanks though I think I’ll give some Uni’s a phone and possibly wait for Clearing!
You get a loan for accomodation and uni.
extra is open now you can apply if you have no offers. As far as affordability you use loans which students in England have to but its free in Scotland so most Scottish students dont get caught by it.
I’ve tried through extra but just been met with rejections cause I’ve ‘applied after the deadline’ I presume of Jan 15th? Obviously I applied to UCAS before then but maybe because it’s through extra it’s late... if so then that system seems kind of broken... thanks though I think I’ll give some Uni’s a phone and possibly wait for Clearing!
Original post by swanseajack1
extra is open now you can apply if you have no offers. As far as affordability you use loans which students in England have to but its free in Scotland so most Scottish students dont get caught by it.

Yeh tuition in Scotland is free (which I’m incredibly thankful for) but student loans barely or don’t cover accommodation costs, I’d get a part-time job too if I have to but if I had to go to Uni down South then it’s almost out of the question affordability wise! I’ll give some Scottish Unis a phone and ask what’s available.
Loans vary depending on family income. We have had three children through English unis with very little family support. One of them is a computer science graduate from Southampton. Try and look at the long term picture! Graduate prospects and salaries are so good for computer science graduates that in the long term you will be ok - look for unis with low cost of living ie avoid London etc. There are also scholarships that you could look into. Call UCAS and they will help you with Extra which is open now. good luck.
I'm scottish but ended up going to a university in wales because my degree wasn't available in any unis in scotland as a masters (Zoology). Don't worry about loans, you get a tuition loan from saas which covers the whole tuition fee even if your family earn over a certain amount and you will still get the same maintenance loan as you would in Scotland. As for paying it all back, unless you think you are going to be making lots of money when you leave university its unlikely you will even pay back half of your loan by the time the balance gets wiped.

Also you probably didnt get any offers from the unis because your grades were bellow the minimum. For example, Dundee was BBBB and even you got an A, you didnt get the three B's that were needed which is really unfair but i guess thats just what happens.

Good luck if you decide to go into clearing!
Original post by Hollybm
Loans vary depending on family income. We have had three children through English unis with very little family support. One of them is a computer science graduate from Southampton. Try and look at the long term picture! Graduate prospects and salaries are so good for computer science graduates that in the long term you will be ok - look for unis with low cost of living ie avoid London etc. There are also scholarships that you could look into. Call UCAS and they will help you with Extra which is open now. good luck.

Thanks for your suggestions! Although tuition is free here, there’s actually very little support in terms of scholarships and funding for disadvantaged Scottish students (which I fall under as my family earn below 20k annually), it only seems to be ‘RestOfUK’ students that have access to such funding. Student loans and bursaries are higher for those coming from low-income families yes, but the 6500 that they offer just barely covers accommodation if I have to live away from home INSIDE Scotland, + part-time job for food, toiletries etc. Living OUTSIDE of Scotland could possibly be a financial nightmare if I can’t get any larger loans! (I haven’t looked up what would be available to me outside of Scotland yet but I’ll be sure to do so!) Thanks for your well-wishes, hopefully things will be looking up soon.
Original post by Steph4
I'm scottish but ended up going to a university in wales because my degree wasn't available in any unis in scotland as a masters (Zoology). Don't worry about loans, you get a tuition loan from saas which covers the whole tuition fee even if your family earn over a certain amount and you will still get the same maintenance loan as you would in Scotland. As for paying it all back, unless you think you are going to be making lots of money when you leave university its unlikely you will even pay back half of your loan by the time the balance gets wiped.

Also you probably didnt get any offers from the unis because your grades were bellow the minimum. For example, Dundee was BBBB and even you got an A, you didnt get the three B's that were needed which is really unfair but i guess thats just what happens.

Good luck if you decide to go into clearing!

Thanks for your reply.
I was told that even an ABBC would Level out to a BBBB as the A grade makes up somewhat for the C in terms of SCQF points, so I was thinking that my ABBCD would be at least worth consideration for a Conditional as I’m doing 2 more Highers and 2 Advanced Highers this year! All predicted at a fairly high level too! Who knows, maybe it’s just bad luck that I got no offers, maybe there’s a reason for it I’m just not sure! I’ll try to keep positive though and thanks for the good-luck wishes for clearing I think I might need it! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi ground_cinnamon,

Heriot-Watt University's Admissions Officer for Computer Science here :hello:

I'm afraid we always fill our funded places with applicants who apply by the 15th January deadline. UCAS doesn't give Scottish universities the option to say which categories of Home/EU applicants they are open for in Extra (usually the only remaining places are for Home widening access eligible applicants), so we have to show as open for both Home and EU. This year we received over 800 applications for around 65 funded Home/EU places, so there was very stiff competition.

Would you consider going to college to do a HND? We recommend Edinburgh College's HND in Computing Software Development. It can lead to Year 3 of our BSc Computer Systems degree (which is essentially our BSc Computer Science degree without the maths courses). We have a brilliant Student Equipment Fund, great links with industry and you can even do an inter-campus transfer to our Dubai Campus as we teach the same Computer Science/Systems degrees out there :w00t:

Best wishes,

Holly
You could always take a gap year and try again next year.

I highly recommend taking a break from formal education to enjoy yourself. You'll be more prepared for University life as well. It's very stressfull.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for your suggestions! Although tuition is free here, there’s actually very little support in terms of scholarships and funding for disadvantaged Scottish students (which I fall under as my family earn below 20k annually), it only seems to be ‘RestOfUK’ students that have access to such funding. Student loans and bursaries are higher for those coming from low-income families yes, but the 6500 that they offer just barely covers accommodation if I have to live away from home INSIDE Scotland, + part-time job for food, toiletries etc. Living OUTSIDE of Scotland could possibly be a financial nightmare if I can’t get any larger loans! (I haven’t looked up what would be available to me outside of Scotland yet but I’ll be sure to do so!) Thanks for your well-wishes, hopefully things will be looking up soon.

Heriot-Watt offers an Access Bursary :smile:
Thanks for your reply.
I was told that even an ABBC would Level out to a BBBB as the A grade makes up somewhat for the C in terms of SCQF points, so I was thinking that my ABBCC would be at least worth consideration for a Conditional as I’m doing 2 more Highers and 2 Advanced Highers this year! All predicted at a fairly high level too! Who knows, maybe it’s just bad luck that I got no offers, maybe there’s a reason for it I’m just not sure! I’ll try to keep positive though and thanks for the good-luck wishes for clearing I think I might need it! :smile:

If you like, you can email me at [email protected] and I'll have a look at your application and give you feedback? In case it might help. It does seem odd that all of your applications were unsuccessful if you achieved ABBCC in 5th year and had more pending in 6th year. Holly
There is no point in going to "any" university just to get a degree particularly in a subject like computing. Get an entry level job, or go to college and do a diploma and then step into uni, or do the first year of an Open University IT degree while getting some work experience and then use that to get yourself into a Scottish uni as a 2nd year entrant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending