The Student Room Group

Is it normal to doubt your uni choice?

I've been studying Japanese at my uni in my first year and recently I've been questioning my choice a little bit. My uni had very low grade boundaries to get in, and I actually did quite well in my a-levels and could have gone to a higher end uni like Leeds.I keep thinking that maybe I could do better somewhere else? But moving is such a dramatic step and I don't want to make the wrong decision. I like my course now, but I feel like I could go to a more reputable uni and stand a better chance in the future. Does anyone else feel like me?? What should I do?
Reply 1
Yh
Original post by Jay2610
I've been studying Japanese at my uni in my first year and recently I've been questioning my choice a little bit. My uni had very low grade boundaries to get in, and I actually did quite well in my a-levels and could have gone to a higher end uni like Leeds.I keep thinking that maybe I could do better somewhere else? But moving is such a dramatic step and I don't want to make the wrong decision. I like my course now, but I feel like I could go to a more reputable uni and stand a better chance in the future. Does anyone else feel like me?? What should I do?

Is your degree Japanese and what university are you at?

You could consider emailing the universities that you're interested in and enquiring about a move. If you're up for it, I don't see why you can't move :smile:

I did Japanese at Edinburgh btw
Original post by Jay2610

Which uni is this? (if you don't mind me asking).

If you enjoy it there I don't think moving would be worth the hassle.
Reply 4
Yeah currently at UCLan in Preston doing a degree in Japanese and Asia Pacific Studies but I'm just worried that moving would affect my grades in the future from different unis covering different stuff. I'm already considering going to an open day, I'm just worried about being too rash with my decision.
Original post by Quick-use
Is your degree Japanese and what university are you at?

You could consider emailing the universities that you're interested in and enquiring about a move. If you're up for it, I don't see why you can't move :smile:

I did Japanese at Edinburgh btw
Reply 5
It's UCLan in Preston. Not particularly known for being a very high end uni :/
Original post by MinaBee
Which uni is this? (if you don't mind me asking).

If you enjoy it there I don't think moving would be worth the hassle.
Original post by Jay2610
It's UCLan in Preston. Not particularly known for being a very high end uni :/

Ah okay. Just wondering why you decided to go there when you said you could have gone somewhere higher up?
I know what you mean. I'm currently 4th year doing Mathematics at Ulster University but I was born in Norwich and lived there until I was 18 to go to university, I chose ulster after looking round the University and feeling so welcome and it was my first choice. I remember getting on the plane and thinking 'what have I done' turning down a place at Cambridge for Ulster. I now however don't look back at all; I found that I settled in and got accustomed after a few months, it just takes time. Remember you can always go somewhere else for post-graduate studies as well.
Original post by Jay2610
Reply 8
Original post by MinaBee
Ah okay. Just wondering why you decided to go there when you said you could have gone somewhere higher up?

I felt very welcome at the time and really underestimated myself at A-level. I remember on results day getting my results and in the back of mind I was feeling kind of bummed out that I didn't just risk it and select Leeds as my first choice uni as I actually ended up meeting the criteria and could've gone to Leeds. But instead I had put my first choice as UCLan so I ended up there. I feel like most of the students here don't even care about their education and just came whilst the grade boundaries were low and they were deciding what they actually wanted to do. The staff are lovely... I just don't get the right vibe from the students and I don't want it to rub off on me. Plus Preston is pretty scary tbh
Reply 9
That makes me feel better. During the 1st semester I was thinking the same thing and now I've settled and I'm... still thinking the same thing about moving. It's not as strong as when I was in semester 1 and wasn't settled, but it's still nagging in the back of my mind that I think I can do better. On the one hand, I don;t want to make a rash decision, on the other, I don;t want to wait and leave it and end up with what employers may think is a degree from a mediocre university.
Original post by AndreaBligh1998
I know what you mean. I'm currently 4th year doing Mathematics at Ulster University but I was born in Norwich and lived there until I was 18 to go to university, I chose ulster after looking round the University and feeling so welcome and it was my first choice. I remember getting on the plane and thinking 'what have I done' turning down a place at Cambridge for Ulster. I now however don't look back at all; I found that I settled in and got accustomed after a few months, it just takes time. Remember you can always go somewhere else for post-graduate studies as well.
Original post by Jay2610
I felt very welcome at the time and really underestimated myself at A-level. I remember on results day getting my results and in the back of mind I was feeling kind of bummed out that I didn't just risk it and select Leeds as my first choice uni as I actually ended up meeting the criteria and could've gone to Leeds. But instead I had put my first choice as UCLan so I ended up there. I feel like most of the students here don't even care about their education and just came whilst the grade boundaries were low and they were deciding what they actually wanted to do. The staff are lovely... I just don't get the right vibe from the students and I don't want it to rub off on me. Plus Preston is pretty scary tbh

You don't sound too happy and Leeds is indeed way better than UCLAN (so is Lancaster if you wanted to stay in the same area). I would give Leeds Admissions a call and discuss the situation - looking into it doesn't mean that you definitely have to make the change but you are at least exploring the option.
Original post by Jay2610
Yeah currently at UCLan in Preston doing a degree in Japanese and Asia Pacific Studies but I'm just worried that moving would affect my grades in the future from different unis covering different stuff. I'm already considering going to an open day, I'm just worried about being too rash with my decision.

Hey, I don't think you're being rash with your decision. I'd encourage you to email various universities and enquire.
Tbh I dont think the reputation of another uni should be the only reason for you to move. What if you end up moving and not enjoying life at this "higher rep" uni?
Hey,

I graduated from UCLan in July 2018 and despite it not being a particularly top end university in terms of league tables, I wouldn't have picked anywhere else. The experiences I had, people I met, the staff, the community, the support system etc were all second to none and I didn't have one bad experience in my 3 years. It's totally up to you what you decide but you never know what it will be like to change to a different uni, just because it is higher in the league table doesn't mean you would have a better experience or you would settle in, it's a huge risk. Based on my experience, I'd stick with UCLan. I was studying a totally different degree in a different school to yourself but as a whole, the university has SO many positive aspects that are absolutely worth staying for.

Good luck in your decision making!
Something to bear in mind is, your subject is fairly uncommon so applying "generic" notions of prestige probably isn't that relevant.

Outside of some sense of "the grass is greener" in terms of prestige, is there any actual concern or doubt about your current uni? Are you unhappy with the facilities it offers, the student body, or the lecturers (and their abilities)? Is there a serious problem with the teaching on the course? If the answer to those is no, I'm not sure trying to "trade up" is going to be that worthwhile. You may well find those things you take for granted now aren't present at the new university, so while it may be more "prestigious" you end up hating the course you're on.

Also, those feelings may not go away anyway; you could then just enter the same cycle thinking about some other university which is considered "more prestigious" that offers your course and eventually you'll get to the point where the "next best" uni you don't (or can't) get into for whatever reason, and then you're stuck somewhere totally different, still feeling the same way but with one or more years less funding available, having to settle into a new environment and get to know new people.

It's a significant decision to make and changing courses at this point is not really something to take lightly. Think very hard about why you are thinking about this and whether it's definitely something you should pursue (and if you come to the conclusion there are serious issues at your current location which will prevent you from achieving your best then by all means do pursue that with vigour!). You can always do a masters at the "other" university in question (or indeed, another university not currently in the question but which might become an option if you do excellently in your current course).

Quick Reply