The Student Room Group

Struggling with my identity?

Hello!

So basically I'm mixed race - half Arab and half white English. I look much more white than Arab and no one would ever really know if it wasn't for my name.

Basically, recently I've just been struggling with who I am and my identity. I feel like I don't really fit well with either side properly - I look like white British people but they don't understand the other side of my culture, and with Arabs I look different to most and have been in England almost all my life so I just don't fit in there either.

I speak poor Arabic even though the rest of my family grew up in the Middle East so are fluent, which I think is a big part of my issues. I also find it difficult to learn as well because all the different dialects/classic Arabic there isn't really a proper way of learning my own language.

I find it difficult to spend time with other young British Muslims/Arabs because I just don't look like them I feel I don't fit in, and there's no one else I know who is a similar mix as I grew up in a very white heavy area.

On top of this, I recently started a relationship and the guy I'm seeing is white so I constantly have doubts about it because I feel that I want to be with someone who understands or relates to my culture more, but then again I don't know if that would realistically work since I feel so disconnected from it sometime anyways!

Anyone have similar experience or any advice?

Thanks!
How’s does the way you look gotta do with fitting in?
Original post by Anonymous

How*
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Because I find it's difficult to when I look completely white British like other Arab people would just look past me or exclude me because they think I don't have anything to do with them or who they are etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending