The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Do you have FUN at the LSE?

Basically, I've already applied through UCAS for LSE Gov + Econ, but only a few days ago so I can still change stuff. I'm thinking that I may well swap LSE for Manchester or Sheffield.

I'm a bit concerned about whether I'd actually enjoy the LSE. I do do well at school and have very good grades, but I also very much enjoy binge drinking and generally having a good time on a fairly frequent basis. Is there much of this at the LSE? Or are most people very very focussed on work?

I'm also slightly tentative about the prospect of being in an institution with 50+% international students. I sense that I may find it hard to find things in common with these people, because a lot of my interests at my age now are fairly typical to that of a British teenager rather than that of a jet-setting citizen of the World.

Do LSE students to some extent make a 'sacrifice' between having fun and getting a good education? Or is it perfectly possible to get a good degree and have as much fun as you perhaps would at a provincial city university? It's not the academic rigour in itself that bothers me (I'm applying to Oxford), but the thought that perhaps I wouldn't really enjoy my time at the LSE in three of the most fun years of my life.

Would anyone care to dispel/reinforce these worries?
Reply 1
Schmuckle

I'm a bit concerned about whether I'd actually enjoy the LSE. I do do well at school and have very good grades, but I also very much enjoy binge drinking and generally having a good time on a fairly frequent basis. Is there much of this at the LSE? Or are most people very very focussed on work?

It's hard to say because it's freshers week right now, but I'm finding that lots of people are going out almost daily.

I'm also slightly tentative about the prospect of being in an institution with 50+% international students. I sense that I may find it hard to find things in common with these people, because a lot of my interests at my age now are fairly typical to that of a British teenager rather than that of a jet-setting citizen of the World.

While you do find groups of certain ethnicities, I don't think you should let the international thing worry you AT ALL. Most internationals I've met are pretty cool and going out a lot.

Do LSE students to some extent make a 'sacrifice' between having fun and getting a good education? Or is it perfectly possible to get a good degree and have as much fun as you perhaps would at a provincial city university? It's not the academic rigour in itself that bothers me (I'm applying to Oxford), but the thought that perhaps I wouldn't really enjoy my time at the LSE in three of the most fun years of my life.

It's far too early for me to comment on this one, but there will necessarily be a trade off between fun and work and I'd bet that it happens more at LSE than other places, but I'd guess mainly only in the summer term/late in the spring term.

Basically, if you meet the right people, you can go out a lot. And there are plenty of those kinds of people around.

If you genuinely like your couse, I wouldn't recommend applying to Manchester/Sheffield purely for the social aspect. It's London! There's a student night every night at various different clubs.

They don't call it LSE (London School of Entertainment) for nothing :wink:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Swayum
It's hard to say because it's freshers week right now, but I'm finding that lots of people are going out.

While you do find groups of certain ethnicities, I don't think you should let the international thing worry you AT ALL. Most internationals I've met are pretty cool and going out a lot.

don't you mean outgoing?
Reply 3
I don't think you'll have time to have fun in a university as intense as LSE, I could be wrong but when I'm surrounded with people with 8 A* and 5 As I'd be all that I can to keep up with them.
Reply 4
Malsy
don't you mean outgoing?

I don't think so. What I'm trying to say is that it's not the case that international students stay locked up in their rooms the whole time, which is what some people seem to believe. Although that said, I do know examples of these kinds of people too, but they're generally postgrads anyway and not in the majority as far as I know (which actually isn't very far, to be honest).
Reply 5
so they go out a lot. cool.
nah its ****
Schmuckle
Basically, I've already applied through UCAS for LSE Gov + Econ, but only a few days ago so I can still change stuff. I'm thinking that I may well swap LSE for Manchester or Sheffield.

Would anyone care to dispel/reinforce these worries?

Just started at the LSE, as a postgrad, will give my two cents for what its worth.

First of all, your in london where you have 101 opportunities that no other uni will be able to provide even Oxbridge. Although, alot of my friends from Oxford did have a really awesome time as well as leaving with excellent degrees. So to be honest, if you have a crappy social life in london you'll have a crappy social life everywhere else.

Secondly, there is beauty in diversity and I can testify that LSE is actually truly cosmopolitan there is NOT one overarching DOMINANT ethnic grouping like certain universities so you'll encounter a breathtaking amount of different people. I've been at freshers for the last two days and have met some really cool people who are both outgoing but seriously intelligent. You will of course encounter workaholics b/c that is just the nature of the school its a competitive place. But as the saying goes 'you work hard but you playing harder.'

Plenty of people come and go from LSE and have a great time and really excel academically I don't see why you cannot do the same. This also goes for any other top institution in the country where in general, I've found and I know plenty of people at nearly all the unis in the country, that the really smart people party the hardest. So really it does depend on you.

As for the international students you'll be distinctly surprised at how easy going most people are especially during freshers week. Everyone is really in the same position and won't really know anything or anyone so its a really cool learning experience. I personally find it more interesting to talk to peolpe who aren't british mainly b/c they'll have had different experience but that doesn't mean you can't get along with them.

Seriously, University is what you make off it, you have so much freedom and yes you may be doing a demanding course but plenty balance demanding workloads, get firsts, great careers etc. You will have fun if YOU make it happen.

And the postgrads are some of the coolest people I've met on campus :wink:
Reply 8
yes, I do.
Reply 9
I do.

Seriously, it's in central London. If you want to go out a lot and get drunk, there are plenty of people who will accompany you. Trust me.

I think you should be more worried about whether you will get an offer or not... :wink:
Reply 10
Hell yeah!Enough to make make me come back for a 4th year!
Reply 11
Depends on your intelligence / aims, but definately yes.
Reply 12
I'm having an incredible time at LSE, I do think it completely depends on your accommodation whether you are with the sociable type of people who want to go out a lot but realistically there will always be people to go out with... I had worries too but I have absolutely no regrets so far!
Reply 13
Kellybaby
I'm having an incredible time at LSE, I do think it completely depends on your accommodation whether you are with the sociable type of people who want to go out a lot but realistically there will always be people to go out with... I had worries too but I have absolutely no regrets so far!

Bruises are always a sign of fun, I love you Kelly!
Reply 14
Original post by Diaz89
I don't think you'll have time to have fun in a university as intense as LSE, I could be wrong but when I'm surrounded with people with 8 A* and 5 As I'd be all that I can to keep up with them.

Just to be clear do you actually go to the LSE
It's a dead thread and the person you quoted has been banned
Reply 16
oh cheers for the heads up
Original post by quirky editor
It's a dead thread and the person you quoted has been banned

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending