The Student Room Group

Do you think arranged marriage should be banned in the UK?

^^
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

the poster above is pretty spot on. Forced marriage 100% should be illigal, but arranged marriage? as long as its consensual, then why not?

Obviously the hard bit is proving consent, but I don't think we can ever do better then just asking people.

There is a good bit of evidence to suggest that arranged marriages work quite well. I remember reading a study a while back that showed that on average a persons parents are better at picking long-term partners then the person themselves. Which makes sense, on average your parents know you better than anyone, and they are not clouded by lust/romance, so rationally they would be able to make a decent suggestion.

Obviously its completly against the way western culture is these days, and its not practical to have your parents arranging things for you if your not part of a specific culture that does it.. But even if you are white-western-eruropean, the take-away from all of this is that your parents judgements on your partner should matter to you somewhat. Generally speaking if your parents are decent people, and they hate your boyfriend/girlfriend, they are right and you'll realise it sooner/later.
😂😂😂 Marry your cousin then
Love is an illusion. Arranging it doesn't seem problematic; once there is sustained proximity, companionship and deep infatuation shall follow.
Original post by fallen_acorns
the poster above is pretty spot on. Forced marriage 100% should be illigal, but arranged marriage? as long as its consensual, then why not?

Obviously the hard bit is proving consent, but I don't think we can ever do better then just asking people.

If it's already difficult to prove consent then it's better to outright make it illegal to prevent abuse from happening.
Original post by Notoriety
Love is an illusion. Arranging it doesn't seem problematic; once there is sustained proximity, companionship and deep infatuation shall follow.

Is that how you get all the girls? :lol:
Original post by Decahedron
Is that how you get all the girls? :lol:

Yep, just pitch my tent outside their house and refuse to move. Eventually they fall in love with me; they can't help it, just biology.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yep, just pitch my tent outside their house and refuse to move. Eventually they fall in love me; they can't help it, just biology.

Foolproof
Well what if your parents don't listen and you have to get married to someone from Pakistan 😂😭👰🏻
Original post by AlishaFelicia
Well what if your parents don't listen and you have to get married to someone from Pakistan 😂😭👰🏻

Something tells me you are getting forced to marry someone right?
Original post by AstronomyAustin
If it's already difficult to prove consent then it's better to outright make it illegal to prevent abuse from happening.

Then you would end up banning sex.

Its very hard to prove consent/non-consensual sex. Just look at any rape-trial, Its an incredibly difficult thing to try and prove if you don't have physical evidence which there often isn't. So you could easily apply the same logic.. if its difficult to prove the consent, just ban it all to prevent sexual abuse from happening?

In general its best not to ban something because its difficult to prove that abuses of power are not taking place. We ban things when we can prove they are taking place.
Original post by Professional G
Something tells me you are getting forced to marry someone right?

Nope, but my parents support cousin marriages and have frequently talked about how it's better getting married back home because people here are garbage apparently 😔
yes, but if the relationship is non-consensual because that could lead to rape within marriage which is harder to prosecute
Original post by AlishaFelicia
Nope, but my parents support cousin marriages and have frequently talked about how it's better getting married back home because people here are garbage apparently 😔

Well the good news is that you are in the UK and that your parents aren’t allowed to force you.
They do love a bit of generalising do they? If you happen to meet someone here, they are under no obligation to force to accept them but you are pretty much allowed to date/marry who you want.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Then you would end up banning sex.

Its very hard to prove consent/non-consensual sex. Just look at any rape-trial, Its an incredibly difficult thing to try and prove if you don't have physical evidence which there often isn't. So you could easily apply the same logic.. if its difficult to prove the consent, just ban it all to prevent sexual abuse from happening?

In general its best not to ban something because its difficult to prove that abuses of power are not taking place. We ban things when we can prove they are taking place.

How exactly? It would just be banning marriages that are only done between 2 families and not the actual couple getting married. Arranged and forced marriages are typical activities done by abusive families and it would be a shame to see civilized 1st world country go down a that road in support of those activities. Marriage should ONLY ever be between 2 people no matter what.

I am also not even referring to sexual abuse or rape or anything like that... Abuse can be in any form.
Yep, just pitch my tent outside their house and refuse to move. Eventually they fall in love with me; they can't help it, just biology.

I would just assume you are homeless, then ignore you :h:
I would just assume you are homeless, then ignore you :h:

Doubt it. A homeless person doesn't have my 90 quid blue suede Adidas trainers, mate.
Original post by AstronomyAustin
How exactly? It would just be banning marriages that are only done between 2 families and not the actual couple getting married. Arranged and forced marriages are typical activities done by abusive families and it would be a shame to see civilized 1st world country go down a that road in support of those activities. Marriage should ONLY ever be between 2 people no matter what.

I am also not even referring to sexual abuse or rape or anything like that... Abuse can be in any form.

you missed my point a bit - I am comparing it to sexual abuse because if your rational for banning something is that its hard to prove consent, then there is no rational to not also ban sex because following the same path of logic, it would prevent sexual abuse, something which is equally difficult to prove consent for.
Doubt it. A homeless person doesn't have my 90 quid blue suede Adidas trainers, mate.

Trainers... ignored.
Trainers... ignored.

Shut up.

Quick Reply

Latest