The Student Room Group

Higher English 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Thanks Quick-use, you have expressed my concerns. I was going to make a further post but decided against it. Maybe, because of the way the member has expressed themselves - I may have misunderstood the situation. I noted - as you have done - the suggestion that the member might use an early Seamus Heaney poem. It is one I have taught to 3rd and 4th years but ( in my view ) it does not contain the difficulty factor to make it a suitable candidate for Higher - without serious technical and poetic analysis to raise the content of the poem to be worthy for a Higher presentation.

Like you - having chosen to use Carol Ann Duffy set for the critical essay - for the higher poetry question and would allow the candidate to focus on and make commentary about other poems in the set. Therefore as you ask, why restrict yourself to one poem when the structure of the Higher question begs commentary on other poems.

My other concern is that we do not know what text is being used for Scottish Set Texts question. I feared the candidate was going to use Carol Ann Duffy for both the critical essay as well as the Scottish Set texts question with the automatic disqualification of one of the answers.

I do wish this candidate all success in the up coming Higher exam. I do hope they gain the quality pass that they desire. That said I have concerns for this candidate and the choices they are making. These concerns are reflected on what the member themselves has said about their approach to this exam.
Im actually so ****ed for English. I absolutely hate the subject and I havent studied at all for it. We're doing the Handmaid's Tale and I haven't even finished reading the book because I'm so bored. I passed the prelim but I really want at least a B
Original post by Gabriela888
Im actually so ****ed for English. I absolutely hate the subject and I havent studied at all for it. We're doing the Handmaid's Tale and I haven't even finished reading the book because I'm so bored. I passed the prelim but I really want at least a B

When's the exam? Why don't you finish reading it and prepare for the exam?
The exam is on the 8th may but right now Im studying for my biology exam and maths exam as they are next week so I dont have time to study for english
Original post by Quick-use
When's the exam? Why don't you finish reading it and prepare for the exam?
I see your exam is not until May 8th. So you do have a little time. It is a complex novel and the author clearly expects detail reading and I can appreciate you might find that boring.

I suggest you complete your reading. I believe there are revision packs to be purchased on the internet. On the other hand, if you have another option for the critical essay there is time left. I am not arguing that you do change critical essay options, but with the time left to you it is an option.
That said you also need to work on your Set Text choice. Do not take this as gospel, but it might help to remember this is the first year the Refreshed List is being examined. Therefore - if for example you are doing MacCaig - a bit more effort on the New York poems might benefit.
In addition you have your Close Reading.

You still have time so do not panic, but maybe a little speed might assist.

Good luck with your preparations.
hey so can anyone help me with revising our poems like I have to do mrs midas , war photographer, mrs tilchers class, the way my mother speaks and valentine and cant seem to retain any of the information help pleaaasseeeeee
Original post by Emma652001
hey so can anyone help me with revising our poems like I have to do mrs midas , war photographer, mrs tilchers class, the way my mother speaks and valentine and cant seem to retain any of the information help pleaaasseeeeee

Why don't you revise by themes? On a fresh page of paper, write down a theme and underneath it put down bullet points of small quotes. And then put down your analysis of these quotes. You can use a fresh piece of paper for every different theme :smile:
Original post by Emma652001

Hey! We're also doing the Carol Ann Duffy Poems. I personally find flashcards really helpful, I've got a few sets on quizlet here if that helps :smile:
My English exam is in less than a week and I'm freaking out as I have not had a teacher this whole year. One thing I have not been able to teach myself is the critical essay aspect, I have read the book "Death of a Salesman" by Arthur Miller but am yet to find my understanding of it, is it worth just memorizing a random essay and basically copying and pasting it into the question asked. I dont have enough time to develop a strong argument
Original post by estellar2002
My English exam is in less than a week and I'm freaking out as I have not had a teacher this whole year. One thing I have not been able to teach myself is the critical essay aspect, I have read the book "Death of a Salesman" by Arthur Miller but am yet to find my understanding of it, is it worth just memorizing a random essay and basically copying and pasting it into the question asked. I dont have enough time to develop a strong argument

Have just merged this into the main thread for Higher English this year for you :smile:
That's really rubbish you haven't had a teacher this year :s-smilie: I haven't done that text myself, but would strongly advise against memorising an essay and writing it whatever question comes up, as it will gain you virtually no marks.
The situation isn't ideal, but I'd recommend learning (+ being able to analyse!) a few key quotes that can be applied to lots of types of question, as well as some key themes, characters, and about key moments/turning points. Rather than learning an essay, learning these would be a better use of time- there may be resources online that have already compiled all the analysis for this, which would save you time, or someone else here might be able to help you out :smile:

Hi there!

If you want, feel free to go through past papers and write various timed essays and then you can send them to me. I'd be more than happy to give you feedback. Within a week, you'll hopefully be more than prepped for your exam :smile:

Feel free to send me your essay that you've already done first and after giving you feedback, try an essay or two under timed conditions. Then you can type them up and send them to me.

I realise you said you don't know how to do your essays - but anything is fine.

If you can't, then no worries of course!
thank you so much! I've done one essay but not nearly up to standard. I'm not as worried as I taught myself RUAE using notes online and the norman maccaig poems are simple enough. I'll pm you in a sec :smile:
Hi there!

If you want, feel free to go through past papers and write various timed essays and then you can send them to me. I'd be more than happy to give you feedback. Within a week, you'll hopefully be more than prepped for your exam :smile:

Feel free to send me your essay that you've already done first and after giving you feedback, try an essay or two under timed conditions. Then you can type them up and send them to me.

I realise you said you don't know how to do your essays - but anything is fine.

If you can't, then no worries of course!
thanks for helping me out :biggrin: I was planning to do that except its hard because almost all the quotes and analysis I can find online are about a theme which I dont want to do as it is too predictable, do you think I should just go the easy route considering the short amount of time I have?
Original post by Labrador99
Have just merged this into the main thread for Higher English this year for you :smile:
That's really rubbish you haven't had a teacher this year :s-smilie: I haven't done that text myself, but would strongly advise against memorising an essay and writing it whatever question comes up, as it will gain you virtually no marks.
The situation isn't ideal, but I'd recommend learning (+ being able to analyse!) a few key quotes that can be applied to lots of types of question, as well as some key themes, characters, and about key moments/turning points. Rather than learning an essay, learning these would be a better use of time- there may be resources online that have already compiled all the analysis for this, which would save you time, or someone else here might be able to help you out :smile:
thanks for helping me out :biggrin: I was planning to do that except its hard because almost all the quotes and analysis I can find online are about a theme which I dont want to do as it is too predictable, do you think I should just go the easy route considering the short amount of time I have?

I wouldn't dismiss theme because it's 'too predictable'- it's a common thing for questions to be based around. That said, don't focus only on theme, as that risks not being able to answer any of the questions. Use the time you have between now and the exam efficiently. I don't know how good these will be having not done the text, but a quick google suggests that there are resources out there for
character analysis- https://www.google.com/search?q=death+of+a+salesman+character+analysis&rlz=1C1VSNG_enGB638GB650&oq=death+of+a+salesman+character+analysis&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.7808j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
turning point- https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1VSNG_enGB638GB650&ei=g23JXO-1OLGh1fAP2oy-uAw&q=death+of+a+salesman+turning+point&oq=death+of+a+salesman+turnin&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0.75195.76336..77539...0.0..0.81.449.6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i131j0i67j0i22i30j0i22i10i30.kqbIvYLtKQM
key scenes- https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1VSNG_enGB638GB650&ei=2W3JXO2IFPeT1fAPxd2asAo&q=death+of+a+salesman+key+scenes&oq=death+of+a+salesman+key+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l4j0i20i263j0l4.39337.40295..45946...0.0..0.78.264.4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.A6X8O8Xj-ek

Not sure how helpful these will be, but hopefully they will find you at least one source that will be helpful :smile:
Thank you I shall check those out :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
I wouldn't dismiss theme because it's 'too predictable'- it's a common thing for questions to be based around. That said, don't focus only on theme, as that risks not being able to answer any of the questions. Use the time you have between now and the exam efficiently. I don't know how good these will be having not done the text, but a quick google suggests that there are resources out there for
character analysis- https://www.google.com/search?q=death+of+a+salesman+character+analysis&rlz=1C1VSNG_enGB638GB650&oq=death+of+a+salesman+character+analysis&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.7808j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
turning point- https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1VSNG_enGB638GB650&ei=g23JXO-1OLGh1fAP2oy-uAw&q=death+of+a+salesman+turning+point&oq=death+of+a+salesman+turnin&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0.75195.76336..77539...0.0..0.81.449.6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i131j0i67j0i22i30j0i22i10i30.kqbIvYLtKQM
key scenes- https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1VSNG_enGB638GB650&ei=2W3JXO2IFPeT1fAPxd2asAo&q=death+of+a+salesman+key+scenes&oq=death+of+a+salesman+key+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l4j0i20i263j0l4.39337.40295..45946...0.0..0.78.264.4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.A6X8O8Xj-ek

Not sure how helpful these will be, but hopefully they will find you at least one source that will be helpful :smile:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to get marks in the critical essay section? I am doing death of a salesman and I remember a decent amount of quotes and try and apply them to the question but still seem to not be able to reach a higher mark than 11 or 12? And I think this section may be the difference between an A or a B for me, thanks
These are the most important things: how relevant is your answer and how strong your analysis is.

Quotes and literary devices are important but they're only your ammunition (so to speak): what you do with them (your analysis) is the most important.

I always recommend to set out and explain what you'll do in your introduction.
Original post by Sqapupil2002
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to get marks in the critical essay section? I am doing death of a salesman and I remember a decent amount of quotes and try and apply them to the question but still seem to not be able to reach a higher mark than 11 or 12? And I think this section may be the difference between an A or a B for me, thanks
Reply 97
I am not an English teacher just a mum but I found what I think is a good resource online I think it’s my e tutor. If you google higher English critical essay prose it comes up and has a few Short you tube clips. I think if you can also prepare an introduction and conclusion that can be adapted to what is being asked it gives you confidence you have a strong beginning and ending. They give guidance on the main body too. Hope that helps a little. Good luck!🍀
Yeah l understand what you mean, but I just ask my teacher how to improve and he says more quotes or something along those lines, would you recommend learning a turning point and conflict between characters essay? And thank you

These are the most important things: how relevant is your answer and how strong your analysis is.

Quotes and literary devices are important but they're only your ammunition (so to speak): what you do with them (your analysis) is the most important.

I always recommend to set out and explain what you'll do in your introduction.
I would recommend you make notes on your themes and the messages of your text. You could do this to revise:

maybe on a page of paper - write down one of the themes of your text. Then, write down what Arthur Miller is trying to say regarding that theme from the beginning of the play to the end. How does the theme/message develop/evolve throughout the story. While you write notes on your theme, find quotes/techniques that prove the thematic message.

By doing this, you can then apply your knowledge of the text to answer any essay question.
Original post by Sqapupil2002
Yeah l understand what you mean, but I just ask my teacher how to improve and he says more quotes or something along those lines, would you recommend learning a turning point and conflict between characters essay? And thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending