The Student Room Group

Does The Great British Swap show Birminghams community is becoming intolerant to LGBT

I was watching the Great British School and was horrifed by pretty much both schools and how racism is so prevalent in secondary schools. But what I also noticed was the Birmingham schools poor attitude toward the LGBTQ community. And makes me wonder if Birmingham starting to become very anti- LGBTQ with considerable other things happening such as the recent event of the Islamic parents pulling their children from LGBT lessons, do you guys think Birmingham is heading the opposite direction or the rest of the UK?
Hopefully not, the 'i dont like gay people they make me feel weird' comment was awful though :s-smilie:
Lets not make this about the entirety of Birmingham. We have a very diverse city which respects people from all walks of life. We have Gay Village which has one of the UK's oldest gay nightclubs. The vast majority of Birmingham is LGBT+ friendly, but what we have seen in the programme are Islamic children from a predominantly Muslim area of the city.

I have not seen or felt any larger anti-LGBT+ around the city, of course there will always be the isolated incidents with the ideologically homophobic, but that doesn't make Birmingham a homophobic place.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by schoolsboring
I was watching the Great British School and was horrifed by pretty much both schools and how racism is so prevalent in secondary schools. But what I also noticed was the Birmingham schools poor attitude toward the LGBTQ community. And makes me wonder if Birmingham starting to become very anti- LGBTQ with considerable other things happening such as the recent event of the Islamic parents pulling their children from LGBT lessons, do you guys think Birmingham is heading the opposite direction or the rest of the UK?

Nope.Its just that Birmingham has a high proportion of a certain community.A community known for homophobia all around the world.
and what is this 'certain community'
Original post by AJ126
Nope.Its just that Birmingham has a high proportion of a certain community.A community known for homophobia all around the world.
The white working-class community, of course, everyone knows religious and ethnic minorities are nothing but law-abiding, well educated and are not homophobia in any way
Original post by realistorange
No. Birmingham is diverse and the show features Asian Muslims that live in a heavily Asian Muslim populated area (they had barely seen any white people!). We didn't hear the opinions about LGBT from every individual

The show also features people who lived in an area where there were like 90% white British ppl. Their school was described as "LGBT+ active" by a trans student.

Were obvs lots of stereotyping about race and their different cultures.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Obolinda
No. Birmingham is diverse and the show features Asian Muslims that live in a heavily Asian Muslim populated town in Birmingham(they had not even seen any white people!). We didn't hear the opinions about LGBT from every individual

The show also features people who lived in a town in Birmingham where there were like 90% white British ppl.

We're obvs lots of stereotyping about race and their different cultures.

Satley isn't a town it is an area of Birmingham and Tamworth is in Staffordshire.

I am highly sceptical of their claim to having never seen a white person.
Original post by Decahedron
Satley isn't a town it is an area of Birmingham and Tamworth is in Staffordshire.

okay
Original post by realistorange

I think you can guess.If it wasn't true then I would have to say it.As it is everyone knows which community I'm referring to without my even saying so.

To be fair there are certain places in Birmingham where you can go a day without seeing a white person.Try driving through cape hill.Its like trying to drive in India.Terrible.
1,2 a 1,2,3,4!...
Original post by AJ126
To be fair there are certain places in Birmingham where you can go a day without seeing a white person.Try driving through cape hill.Its like trying to drive in India.Terrible.

True but not your entire life, even for a child.
Lets not make this about the entirety of Birmingham. We have a very diverse city which respects people from all walks of life. We have Gay Village which has one of the UK's oldest nightclubs. The vast majority of Birmingham is LGBT+ friendly, but what we have seen in the programme are Islamic children from a predominantly Muslim area of the city.

I have not seen or felt any larger anti-LGBT+ around the city, of course there will always be the isolated incidents with the ideologically homophobic, but that doesn't make Birmingham a homophobic place.

I 100% agree with your point but do you think this anti-LGBT+ is growing in Birmingham, as this Islamic community (which makes up 22% of Birmingham's population) is growing?

btw this isn't an attack on Islam I 100% respect the religion but just disagree with certain principles.
Reply 14
I 100% agree with your point but do you think this anti-LGBT+ is growing in Birmingham, as this Islamic community (which makes up 22% of Birmingham's population) is growing?

I don't think its anti-LGBT views are growing as a whole on a consensus level but possibly within some Islamic communities as being LGBT is highly frowned upon.

Honestly, that protest was honestly stupid. Tolerance is a two-way street. It cannot be one-sided.

btw this isn't an attack on Islam I 100% respect the religion but just disagree with certain principles.

There has been one relatively minor incident involving the school which has been whipped up to a storm in a tea cup.

Most importantly there is no wider movement trying to enforce a narrow minded view on the rest of the city. Gay Village is thriving with some serious investment going in.

Even with a growing population many of those being born are the 3rd generation immigrants who typically integrate far quicker.

A good example of this would be the Irish immigrants that settled in Birmingham post war. They used to occupy the all the areas the Muslim population now occupy. They diluted themselves into the rest of the population, for the most part.

The reason I know all this is because I am a 3rd gen Irish immigrant. It wasn't always easy for the Irish given the whole "Troubles" going on in Ireland and the genuine threat of IRA attacks on the city.

But given time they will dilute into the population and a new set of people will move in.
this isn't an attack on Islam I 100% respect the religion but just disagree with certain principles.

How you respect an ideology that is so frankly barbaric? You know it's okay not to, right?

Original post by looloo2134
ethnic minorities are ... not homophobia in any way

Hah, as if.

Quick Reply