The Student Room Group

Exeter uni or st andrews!! Help!!

I'm trying to decide between studying Anthropology at Exeter or St Andrews uni, they both want AAB! I'm super indecisive and really need some help, if anyone has any tips on how to decide, or knows anyone who has also decided between them, they'd be appreciated! Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

If you go to Exeter, be mindful about the number of trees...

On a serious note, both Universities are great for anthropology if I am correct.
Look at the youtube video ibz mo " Why do I hate university of exeter" hopefully that changes your mind...
Also so many students have gotten exposed for racism at exeter, possibly the most racist uni in the UK
Reply 3
Original post by rifraf1000
Look at the youtube video ibz mo " Why do I hate university of exeter" hopefully that changes your mind...
Also so many students have gotten exposed for racism at exeter, possibly the most racist uni in the UK

People really need to stop directing people to that video just because one dramatic student had a bad experience there.

People form their opinion based on their fact their favourite YouTuber didn’t like it, without having any experience themselves.

“Possibly the most racist uni in the UK” - have you been to every uni in the UK and judged it’s racism? How do you even define a uni as racist? It’s got a high percentage of white, middle class students, but so does every other RG in the UK.

It’s just a stupid, uninformed comment.
Original post by Arisapo
People really need to stop directing people to that video just because one dramatic student had a bad experience there.

People form their opinion based on their fact their favourite YouTuber didn’t like it, without having any experience themselves.

“Possibly the most racist uni in the UK” - have you been to every uni in the UK and judged it’s racism? How do you even define a uni as racist? It’s got a high percentage of white, middle class students, but so does every other RG in the UK.

Emphasis on dramatic.
FFS here we go, just waiting for the moron to link his crappy exeter article now
Reply 6
Original post by sophiegreen28
I'm trying to decide between studying Anthropology at Exeter or St Andrews uni, they both want AAB! I'm super indecisive and really need some help, if anyone has any tips on how to decide, or knows anyone who has also decided between them, they'd be appreciated! Thanks!!

To answer your question, they’re both very good and I wouldn’t worry about reputation or anything like that because it’s such a negligible difference that it doesn’t really matter.

It’s a personal preference thing - would you rather be in Scotland or in Devon? They’re complete opposite ends of the country.

They’re both similar in terms of having mainly white, middle-class students (a lot of privately educated types etc) and they’re both small. Exeter is like London compared to St. Andrew’s though. St. Andrew’s is tiny and mainly comprised of small golf shops and things. It’s incredibly posh but that might be your thing.

I’d choose Exeter simply because St. Andrew’s is just too small and lifeless, but that’s a personal decision and you might say the opposite.
Reply 7
Original post by Notoriety
Emphasis on dramatic.

Can say that again.

We’ve all seen the video - he had a bad experience with the admissions team or whatever and then holds a grudge against Exeter, deems it racist or whatever in an extremely camp manner. It’s not a serious video.

If you’re stupid enough to base your decision off a YouTuber, then you probably lack the common sense to go to university in the first place.

Still trying to work out what a “racist uni” is as well and how one qualifies.
lol yeah I've heard of the video, but I wasn't going to waste my time watching a 30 min video that won't have an effect on my choice anyway
Original post by Arisapo
Can say that again.

We’ve all seen the video - he had a bad experience with the admissions team or whatever and then holds a grudge against Exeter, deems it racist or whatever in an extremely camp manner. It’s not a serious video.

If you’re stupid enough to base your decision off a YouTuber, then you probably lack the common sense to go to university in the first place.

Still trying to work out what a “racist uni” is as well and how one qualifies.
This is actually really useful. Thank you! I visited both and loved them but they're just so different it's so hard to compare them.
Original post by Arisapo
To answer your question, they’re both very good and I wouldn’t worry about reputation or anything like that because it’s such a negligible difference that it doesn’t really matter.

It’s a personal preference thing - would you rather be in Scotland or in Devon? They’re complete opposite ends of the country.

They’re both similar in terms of having mainly white, middle-class students (a lot of privately educated types etc) and they’re both small. Exeter is like London compared to St. Andrew’s though. St. Andrew’s is tiny and mainly comprised of small golf shops and things. It’s incredibly posh but that might be your thing.

I’d choose Exeter simply because St. Andrew’s is just too small and lifeless, but that’s a personal decision and you might say the opposite.
Original post by sophiegreen28
This is actually really useful. Thank you! I visited both and loved them but they're just so different it's so hard to compare them.

I understand what you’re saying perhaps factor in distance from home considering they’re opposite ends of the country?

I’ve firmed Exeter (for law though) and love the campus, feel it’s an ideal size, nice location etc, so may be slightly biased but St. Andrew’s is certainly too class. It’s just too much on the small side for me.

There isn’t really a wrong choice regardless though as they’re both first rate.
Original post by Arisapo

Did you see the whatsapp group chat, including 10 exeter members saying such RACIST, extreme radical views....
it's disgusting.
NO one should go there unless you're racist.
Did you see the whatsapp group chat, including 10 exeter members saying such RACIST, extreme radical views....
it's disgusting.

It doesn’t surprise me you’re still doing your GCSES - more likely to be impressionable and watch IbzMo.

Going by your logic, is everyone at Warwick a rapist because of the chat that happened there?
no, but a huge majority of EXETER is racist. Don't @ me

Original post by Arisapo
It doesn’t surprise me you’re still doing your GCSES - more likely to be impressionable and watch IbzMo.

Going by your logic, is everyone at Warwick a rapist because of the chat that happened there?
no, but a huge majority of EXETER is racist. Don't @ me

You need to back up your claims if you’re say such big things kiddo.

So you’ve got 10 students in a group chat, who the university dealt with.

Anymore evidence? You’ve probably never been there and watched IbzMo’s video. You’re doing your GCSEs ffs.

Is there something wrong with you?

You’ve linked 2 articles and 1 video on the same isolated incident?

It’s not like it’s 3 different incidences of racism, it’s the same from different sources? You’re looking very stupid here.
it's disgusting.

'extreme radical views', you can't seriously be that thick or naive as to think those were actually their views? They were joking.

Has anyone from your school ever stolen anything? The probability is yes, so by your logic, you are probably a thief.
Original post by Arisapo

PRSOM
Original post by Arisapo
Is there something wrong with you?

You’ve linked 2 articles and 1 video on the same isolated incident?

It’s not like it’s 3 different incidences of racism, it’s the same from different sources? You’re looking very stupid here.

PRSOM
how is that a joke what the f...you're disgusting

exeter is trash.
how is that a joke what the f...you're disgusting

exeter is trash.

You’re possibly the most intellectually malnourished person I’ve seen on this site.

First, you’ve called Exeter trash based on an IbzMo video and an article about an isolated incident. You’re a GCSE student who’s never been to the place in all likelihood.

Secondly, you used the same incident but just reported in 3 different ways to prove your point. Just because ones from the BBC and another is The Guardian, it doesn’t make it an additional incident.

You’ve called Exeter “racist” because of one incident where the students were dealt with. By the same logic, everyone at Warwick is a rapist or everyone who goes to Bristol is suicidal.

Your opinion is useless and contributes nothing. The OP is trying to make a massive decision regarding their future and you just say “don’t go to Exeter, watch IbzMo’s video, it’s racist”. Unhelpful and uninformed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending