The Student Room Group

What are your favourite book → screen adaptions?

Let;s face it a lot of TV series and films are based on books, comics etc. :yep: Sometimes its good, sometimes bad.

Spoiler

Soooo...

What is your favourite film based on a book?

What is your favourite TV series or play that based on a book?

Were there any that didn't live up to your expectations?

Are there any up and coming adaptions we should be aware of?

(you don't have to have read the book/comic :tongue: )

1. (all of the) Harry Potter films
2. The Umbrella Academy
3. Percy Jackson films :sadnod:
4. I believe Netflix are eventually going to release a tv adaption of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Game of Thrones, I believe?
Riverdale I believe are based on the Archie comics...the first few series are pretty decent but once you start adding the vampires I'm not such a fan.

Good ol' Tracy Beaker never hurt anyone :smile:
1. Fight Club, it was just as quirky and weird as the book was.
2. The Umbrella Academy (I literally couldn't fault it)
3. I was actually really disappointed in the Harry Potter movies, they were okay but I just love the imagination the books conveyed.
4. I'm not actually sure?
Original post by yzanne
Riverdale I believe are based on the Archie comics...the first few series are pretty decent but once you start adding the vampires I'm not such a fan.

I remember reading those comics and that show is nowhere close to them :lol: They just took the characters and made it some dark, thriller, high school murder show. :rofl:
Original post by batter mix
I remember reading those comics and that show is nowhere close to them :lol: They just took the characters and made it some dark, thriller, high school murder show. :rofl:

Oh, shame. I suppose they were trying to make it more appealing to the new generation of teens. :frown:
That 'Sea of Monsters' joke :biggrin:

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, always a favourite
2. Sharp Objects, honestly unable to decide whether I prefer the book or series bc of how much I enjoyed it
3. Agreeing with the Percy Jackson films. They just make me sad to think about tbh lmao
4. Artemis Fowl! Apparently the cast is quite disappointing and it's unlikely to follow much of the book, but I've been waiting for this since childhood so I don't care 😂
Original post by yzanne
Oh, shame. I suppose they were trying to make it more appealing to the new generation of teens. :frown:

lol probably. Goes on to say much about our generation then :rofl:
Original post by batter mix
Game of Thrones, I believe?

Yep that's one :yep:

Original post by yzanne

Nice! Forgot about Riverdale
Bit curious about the comics... any idea if there were a lot of them?
Ikr - loved the tv series even though I had to watch it as an older teen bc I wasn't v keen when I was younger)
The Dumping Ground's still going (its on series 7 now)

Original post by MidgetFever
1. Fight Club, it was just as quirky and weird as the book was.
2. The Umbrella Academy (I literally couldn't fault it)
3. I was actually really disappointed in the Harry Potter movies, they were okay but I just love the imagination the books conveyed.
4. I'm not actually sure?

What did you think of the tv series (umbrella academy btw? Even though I'm not really a comic person the Umbrella Academy got me curious about the comics - just need to get hold of them somehow now. :smile:
Game of Thrones.

Marvel films.

Sadly, most adaptations are horrible.
I really like the Anne of Green Gables adaptation (Anne with an e on netflix)
i have the first two books that I want to read, im the type of person that watches the movie and i read the books if i end up liking the story
Original post by Chronoscope
Ikr - loved the tv series even though I had to watch it as an older teen bc I wasn't v keen when I was younger)
The Dumping Ground's still going (its on series 7 now)

Must say, when it comes to guilty pleasures...turns out I'm actually fully aware that there are 7 series...oops :smile:
What did you think of the tv series (umbrella academy btw? Even though I'm not really a comic person the Umbrella Academy got me curious about the comics - just need to get hold of them somehow now. :smile:

I loved it! I'd even go as far as saying it's been my favourite this year. I love that it has a bit of everything - Comedy, romance, action.. not much to hate. I haven't read the comics either but I'd like to, pretty sure they can be bought on amazon.
Fight club. Changed my life it did :yep:
Original post by tanteseo
I really like the Anne of Green Gables adaptation (Anne with an e on netflix)

i have the first two books that I want to read, im the type of person that watches the movie and i read the books if i end up liking the story

Whichever works (that's how I ended up reading the HP series)
How are you finding the Anne of Green Gables books? (admittedly I've only watched halfway through episode one of the netflix series but what I watched was pretty good, will likely watch it at some point) :smile:

Original post by yzanne
Must say, when it comes to guilty pleasures...turns out I'm actually fully aware that there are 7 series...oops :smile:

Hey I'm still watching it :hide: well technically if you add every series from Tracy Beaker, Tracy Beaker, Returns, and The Dumping Ground together it comes to a grand total of approximately 13 series. Which is technically our generations equivalent of Grange Hill if you want to think it that way.

Original post by MidgetFever
I loved it! I'd even go as far as saying it's been my favourite this year. I love that it has a bit of everything - Comedy, romance, action.. not much to hate. I haven't read the comics either but I'd like to, pretty sure they can be bought on amazon.

Ikr - so glad netflix are making a series 2 :woo:
Yeah I had a look but it said it was unavailable (or pretty expensive)
NARNIA! Every single one of them.
Pilgrims Progress
Hey I'm still watching it :hide: well technically if you add every series from Tracy Beaker, Tracy Beaker, Returns, and The Dumping Ground together it comes to a grand total of approximately 13 series. Which is technically our generations equivalent of Grange Hill if you want to think it that way.

excellent. Can you believe Ryan's left now? It's gonna be so weird without him there are so few OG's remaining now :frown:
Original post by yzanne
excellent. Can you believe Ryan's left now? It's gonna be so weird without him there are so few OG's remaining now :frown:

He has? boy I really need to catch up on the last few episodes of series 7 (currently on series 7 ep. 9.)
What did you think of the TDG episode with TB in? (the wedding one)
The Great Gatsby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending