The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies 2018-2019

There isn't one for Modern Studies (somehow), but it's here! You can ask last-minute questions regarding Modern Studies here, and you can discuss how the exam goes. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody had ideas of what questions might come up in the Nat 5 Modern Studies exam on Wed 1st May 2019. My school have chosen to study Democracy in Scotland, Crime and the Law and China so if anyone is studying that too come and discuss what you think might be in the exam
My teacher (who is part of the team that makes the exam) has strongly hinted that there will be a question on committees in the democracy section, as that was only added to the course last year.
Original post by adqwilson
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody had ideas of what questions might come up in the Nat 5 Modern Studies exam on Wed 1st May 2019. My school have chosen to study Democracy in Scotland, Crime and the Law and China so if anyone is studying that too come and discuss what you think might be in the exam
Hi, Thank you so much that's incredibly helpful!!! :smile:
Anything else?!
Original post by mrobertson03
My teacher (who is part of the team that makes the exam) has strongly hinted that there will be a question on committees in the democracy section, as that was only added to the course last year.
Anything else?!

That’s all I know really. Although I guess it’s more likely that questions that haven’t appeared for a while (e.g. from 2014 or 2015) will come up, possibly with slightly different wording.
Aw okay, yeah I suppose that makes sense, thanks again :smile:
That’s all I know really. Although I guess it’s more likely that questions that haven’t appeared for a while (e.g. from 2014 or 2015) will come up, possibly with slightly different wording.
Original post by MajorKong
There isn't one for Modern Studies (somehow), but it's here! You can ask last-minute questions regarding Modern Studies here, and you can discuss how the exam goes. Thank you.

Giving this a :bump: to see if there's anyone else preparing for the exam on Wednesday :smile: How are you all feeling about it? Any topics you're worried about?
I think that for democracy in Scotland the ethnic minorities question or the women’s representation questions are likely to come up as they were only added to the course this year, also committees!
Hi, I was kind of thinking that too since it hasn't been in any of the past papers yet! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous.pupil
I think that for democracy in Scotland the ethnic minorities question or the women’s representation questions are likely to come up as they were only added to the course this year, also committees!

Hope you don't mind that I've merged this into the main Nat 5 modern studies thread for you :smile: Hope the exam goes well on Wednesday :smile:
I’ve just been thinking again about the topics that haven’t come up before, so the most likely topics for democracy seem to be: committees, under-representation, disadvantages of the AMS (they have asked advantages a couple of times, but never disadvantages), ways MSPs represent constituents within their constituency, and possibly something to do with responsibilities or rights.

For crime: consequences of crime for the victim, the nature of crime in Scotland, types of crimes committed by young people, disadvantages of prisons, describing the courts in Scotland, and possibly describing alternatives to prison sentences.

For world powers: possibly why people don’t in vote elections, and last year they specifically asked about the economic influence of a world power, so this year they might ask about its military or political influence, but other than that every question they could ask has come up before.
Anything else?!
I don’t understand modern studies at all and I can’t do past papers because i never know how to start the question. I have my biology exam tomorrow (30/04/19) but I can’t concentrate on studying for it because I’m really stressed about the modern studies exam. I would really appreciate any help or advice i can get to tackle this problem. My school is doing Crime and Law, Democracy in Scotland and International Terrorism
Thank You
Reply 12
Original post by Qwert007
I don’t understand modern studies at all and I can’t do past papers because i never know how to start the question. I have my biology exam tomorrow (30/04/19) but I can’t concentrate on studying for it because I’m really stressed about the modern studies exam. I would really appreciate any help or advice i can get to tackle this problem. My school is doing Crime and Law, Democracy in Scotland and International Terrorism
Thank You

I'm sure you'll do fine. Did you mock exam go well? What did you get?
Reply 13

Hiya, what do you mean as in committees? For Scottish or UK democracy?
Reply 14
I also think that there may be a question about the HoL, adv and disadv for UK democracy as it hasn't come up yet.
Original post by plsA
Hiya, what do you mean as in committees? For Scottish or UK democracy?

It’s part of democracy in Scotland
How long should I be spending on questions eg. 4 markers, 6,8 and source questions??? Any help appreciated
Reply 17
Hiya, my teacher told me that it is worth doing approx.
s2.PNG

But it doesn't really matter, as long as you can do the KU questions quick enough you will have plenty of time for the ES questions or the other way round.
Original post by NinaBella2003
How long should I be spending on questions eg. 4 markers, 6,8 and source questions??? Any help appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you so much, that’s really helpful!
I spent literally half the prelim using the PEEL structure and linking back was useless as it doesn’t gain you any marks in the KU questions :frown: So I’m stressed about timing as well.
How much time should you have to spare at the end for checking over answers?

Quick Reply

Latest