The Student Room Group

How capable is Elon Musk?

I know Musk was a computer programmer and (if i recall) had a background in engineering, but in terms of his projects such as Space X or Tesla, how much of an understanding does he have of the production of the space rockets and cars? Does he know the process of hows its created, or does he simply focus on strategy and increasing profits?
Original post by That'sGreat
I know Musk was a computer programmer and (if i recall) had a background in engineering, but in terms of his projects such as Space X or Tesla, how much of an understanding does he have of the production of the space rockets and cars? Does he know the process of hows its created, or does he simply focus on strategy and increasing profits?

I think he's the Lead Designer at SpaceX? So he must know about the inner workings of rockets on a high-level at the very least.
He is probably quite capable from both a strategic point of view with a degree in economics and from a technical perspective I'm sure he was able to pick things up quickly with a second degree in physics. Although realistically for SpaceX and Tesla he may understand how it works but he ultimately relies on his advisors.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think his key strength is one of self publisism. Like Richard Branson he is very good at getting others to give him money and like Richard Branson doesn't necessarily run successful businesses. Both Tesla and Space X are yet to return a profit and most of Bransons successful ventures are not run by him but merely use his brand for a price. Most of Bransons businesses went bust e.g virgin cola and a bunch of European airlines.
Not sure anymore.
Recently Musk has started behaving rather strangely; attracting the worst type of publicity, lawsuits and a massive fine from the SEC.
Over the years he's had a lot of success, maybe power has gone to his head leading to a midlife crisis and left him a billionaire weirdo like Howard Hughes.
Genius.
He can hold meme reviews and that's enough intelligence to be famous.
Reply 7
I suspect he is like a lot of other innovators but on a grander scale.

That is to say that he will have a technical and strategic grasp but primarily he comes up with an idea and loose concept of how to achieve it but has an expert do the math and contemplate the exact mechanics.

He's a brilliant man who has changed his fields and one of the few people on this planet worthy of my admiration (unrestrained ambition).

Note that Tesla would be profitable if all he wished to make was expensive niche sport cars. It makes a loss because he is attempting to rival the largest automotive firms on the planet and that's incredibly costly.

I think SpaceX puts every penny into R&D and has smashed its rivals.
Original post by Blue_Cow
I think he's the Lead Designer at SpaceX? So he must know about the inner workings of rockets on a high-level at the very least.

Hmm... no? There were several high military commanders who only signed battle plans that were prepared by someone else, and many historians gave them credits for winning those battles even though a few other managed to dug into that those did nothing but signed it, and got a mental breakdown during the battle.

You can call yourself even 'The Supreme Archangel' in your company.

He's a very good businessman, that is to be sure, but once you have a good amount of money you'll find people who will be willing to do the hard work for you, and even claim it was all done by you, only if you provide them with working conditions good enough.
I'm not saying that he's a fraud, I'm only saying the party here doesn't have any evidence of his capability.
Original post by PTMalewski
Hmm... no? There were several high military commanders who only signed battle plans that were prepared by someone else, and many historians gave them credits for winning those battles even though a few other managed to dug into that those did nothing but signed it, and got a mental breakdown during the battle.

You can call yourself even 'The Supreme Archangel' in your company.

He's a very good businessman, that is to be sure, but once you have a good amount of money you'll find people who will be willing to do the hard work for you, and even claim it was all done by you, only if you provide them with working conditions good enough.
I'm not saying that he's a fraud, I'm only saying the party here doesn't have any evidence of his capability.

I'm not here to defend Elon Musk. I have no positive or negative views on him. I'm merely making an assumption based on his academic credentials. I don't expect him to have a detailed understanding of everything either, hence why I said on a high-level.

No idea why you've decided to bring in examples of military history either, or a facetious make-belief title.

Furthermore, why is it surprising to you that historians credit the generals/commanders, rather than individual people who drew up the plans? It's the same for any organisation... you seldom hear about the R&D staff when it comes to a new product/invention... it doesn't mean the "leader" (or in this case, the Lead Designer) has no idea what's going on....
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Both Tesla and Space X are yet to return a profit

False:

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2018/05/24/7-things-we-learned-about-spacex-from-coo-shotwell.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/30/18203886/tesla-earnings-q1-revenue-profit-record-model-3 [NB. granted still a loss for the entire year, but two successive quarters of profit is nothing to be sniffed at]

No idea why you've decided to bring in examples of military history either, or a facetious make-belief title.

Because I like challenging wrong arguments, especially when those receive high rating.

I brough military history because that is a perfect example that having a title or a rank, doesn't necessarily mean you're competent.

And in fact, preparing a battle plan is similar to desigining a rocket or car, in terms that it requires a lot of work, knowledge, analysis and advanced skill.
This doesn't mean, for many reasons, that people who put their signatures on those plans, prepared them or that they had the right skills. They could have become and often they did become high commanders for reasons very different to being competent, and when somebody brings millions of dollars from one company, and uses this money to make himself a leader of a company from a completely different field, it's not an indicator that this person has any knowledge in the field. The only thing that is certain, the higher amount of money this person has, the more incompetence can be covered up, and the more holes repaired.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
Because I like challenging wrong arguments, especially when those receive high rating.

I brough military history because that is a perfect example that having a title or the rank, doesn't necessarily mean you're competent.
And in fact, preparing a battle plan is similar to desigining a rocket or car, in terms that it requires a lot of work, knowledge, analysis and advanced skill. This doesn't mean, for many reasons, that people put their signatures on those plans, prepared them or that they had the right skills. They could have become and often they did become high commanders for reasons very different to being competent, and when somebody brings millions of dollars from one company, and uses this money to make himself a leader of a company from a completely different field, it's not an indicator that this person has any knowledge in the field. The only thing that is certain, the higher amount of money this person has, the more incompetence can be covered up, and the more holes repaired.

Christ, you're making it sound like I'm claiming Elon has intricate knowledge on every. single. detail.

He has a degree in physics and began a doctoral degree in physics (albeit NOT in rocketry, but materials science) - I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he has a high level understanding of what his company is launching. Furthermore, he has co-authored a couple of papers on the topic of space exploration, although I'm going to assume you'll throw the blanket money argument at me again.

I have no doubt most of the work, design, and engineering is done by his R&D staff at SpaceX, and that his money which provided him with the capital to start the whole project in the first place has secured him a high position in the company, but to dispute the fact he has at the very least, a high level understanding of what's being done because he has money is absurd.

Is he overrated/overhyped? Yes.
Is he a clueless buffoon who only signs off the papers without having any understanding of rocketry? I highly doubt it.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Those links don't tell us anything. Space X appears to be worth $28 billion because the COO says they make a profit. Show me the accounts then!

And a profit in one quarter against a $1 billion yearly loss is called good PR. My point exactly. All smoke and mirrors and suckers like you appear to buy into it.

Take my advice and don't your money to Musk if you to see it again!
Christ, you're making it sound like I'm claiming Elon has intricate knowledge on every. single. detail.

No, I said what I said. If I say 'moonlight', and somebody hears 'transcendental enlightenment flowing from heaven' it's this person's problem, not mine.

He has a degree in physics and began a doctoral degree in physics (albeit NOT in rocketry, but materials science) - I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he has a high level understanding of what his company is launching. Furthermore, he has co-authored a couple of papers on the topic of space exploration, although I'm going to assume you'll throw the blanket money argument at me again.

No. This is a piece of factual information. The earlier post was an invalid argument.

I have no doubt most of the work, design, and engineering is done by his R&D staff at SpaceX, and that his money which provided him with the capital to start the whole project in the first place has secured him a high position in the company, but to dispute the fact he has at the very least, a high level understanding of what's being done because he has money is absurd.

I didn't say either that he has or has not sufficient knowledge. I only said that the fact that somebody has a certain title in his own company doesn't tell us anything of this person's skills related to the title, and I just proved it to avoid giving further answers.
If you wanted to avoid such a discussion, you should have mentioned his education instead of how he calls himself at his own house.

I'd love to talk about this further, but I'm going to assume it'll just be circular. You'll mention the fact he has money again, and I'll probably bring up his academic credentials.

No, that's not the case.

P.S. I don't look at rep ratings. I had no idea my first post got 6 reps, and nor do I care.

Different people read and participate in internet forums. Maybe I wouldn't care if we didn't have democracy, but we have, and I feel obliged to correct flawed argumentation especially if it's popular because I was trained to do so.

We agree to disagree, and fair enough.

I do not disagree with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending