The Student Room Group

Should I go University??

So I'm in a course in college which isn't related to an English degree, but I really want to study it now and have a passion for it. I've gotten offers and it's either with a foundation year or without. Not to say that natural intelligence in a field goes a long way, but I do naturally have a knack for English studies, so should I do it without a foundation year? The uni I would go to has no exams only assignments and projects. I'm planning to work this summer doing personal work for preparation. What do you think?? I got 2 days to make a decision. Ty
If you meet the grade requirements then i dont see why you would need a foundation year, many people go to uni for a subject they didnt do at A-level!
Hi there,

There's nothing wrong with doing a Foundation Year, as it may cover things that you otherwise would not know and may help to stop you feeling out of your depth when you go into the First Year of the Degree. I would choose the University that you like best, whether they have offered you a Foundation Year or not, but perhaps look into the modules of each course and see whether it is covering topics that you'd be able to manage and grasp without the initial year of study. If you feel you need the extra year of study, it's probably the wiser option, but if it covers lots that you already know, it may not be the best option for you. Either way, the universities have given you offers because they think you can do it, so go for whatever feels right!

Hope this helps,
Harriet :smile:
Second Year BA(Hons) Photography Student and Student Ambassador
(edited 4 years ago)
There's not really any harm in doing a foundation year, so I'd suggest discounting that and as above, focusing on seeing which course fits your interests best.

It may still be worth thinking about giving additional consideration to the courses with foundation year, as it can be helpful to have an extra year to adjust not only to the different subject matter, but also the change in moving away from home to go to uni. You'll then be starting the first year of the main degree already being familiar with the area, knowing where you're going and what you're doing to some extent etc.

That can be a big help in making sure you're set up to do as well as possible on your course, even without considering additional time to consolidate and reinforce your background in the main subject area.
Reply 4
Yeah that's what I was thinking, one of the universities had me analyse 2 poems and then accepted me right after. I wouldn't mind the foundation year but I don't really like the university that has offered the foundation year, and the university that I do like has given me a normal offer, with no foundation year because they don't have it
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
Hi there,

There's nothing wrong with doing a Foundation Year, as it may cover things that you otherwise would not know and may help to stop you feeling out of your depth when you go into the First Year of the Degree. I would choose the University that you like best, whether they have offered you a Foundation Year or not, but perhaps look into the modules of each course and see whether it is covering topics that you'd be able to manage and grasp without the initial year of study. If you feel you need the extra year of study, it's probably the wiser option, but if it covers lots that you already know, it may not be the best option for you. Either way, the universities have given you offers because they think you can do it, so go for whatever feels right!

Hope this helps,
Reply 5
Yeah I agree, the foundation year can be a big help but the university which has offered the foundation year isn't really the university that I feel like I would enjoy, whereas the university which has no foundation programme really interests me
Original post by artful_lounger
There's not really any harm in doing a foundation year, so I'd suggest discounting that and as above, focusing on seeing which course fits your interests best.

It may still be worth thinking about giving additional consideration to the courses with foundation year, as it can be helpful to have an extra year to adjust not only to the different subject matter, but also the change in moving away from home to go to uni. You'll then be starting the first year of the main degree already being familiar with the area, knowing where you're going and what you're doing to some extent etc.

That can be a big help in making sure you're set up to do as well as possible on your course, even without considering additional time to consolidate and reinforce your background in the main subject area.
Reply 6
Yeah that's true to be honest, I was just worrying because not only have I not done A-levels which are related, my course doesn't relate in anyway
Original post by nintysixthousand
If you meet the grade requirements then i dont see why you would need a foundation year, many people go to uni for a subject they didnt do at A-level!
I would definitely go with the university that you prefer, regardless of the offer! If they think you're good enough for their course without the Foundation Year, then you are, they wouldn't offer you the place otherwise! Just go with wherever you're going to be the happiest, and where you feel suits you!

Hope this helps,
Reply 8
Good point, seems like that's the plan for me, thank you 😁
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
I would definitely go with the university that you prefer, regardless of the offer! If they think you're good enough for their course without the Foundation Year, then you are, they wouldn't offer you the place otherwise! Just go with wherever you're going to be the happiest, and where you feel suits you!

Hope this helps,
Reply 9
The university with the foundation year is the one I'm not very into, but I was thinking of the outcomes, with the foundation year I can then be fully prepared for the full 3 years but not at a great university, or I can go to a university I enjoy but risk the chance of failing because I may not be prepared enough
Reply 10
Yeah I'm not so sure exactly how the system works, in terms of final grade and which of the years are most crucial, but it seems you've cleared that up, but thank you, I'm going to make a firm decision on the uni that I want to go to. During the summer holidays I'm going to study some time just enough to be able to handle the work I'll be given. I've got a list of things to work on. Ty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending