The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

New Msci Nursing Exeter

Been offered a place on the new Msci nursing. Still waiting to hear from Plymouth. As a mature student with 3 children logic would say to wait for Plymouth.....but I loved St Luke's and the course and uni is better. Just worried about the commute for 4 years. Who else commutes from Plymouth daily ?
Original post by Sam.swaby23
Been offered a place on the new Msci nursing. Still waiting to hear from Plymouth. As a mature student with 3 children logic would say to wait for Plymouth.....but I loved St Luke's and the course and uni is better. Just worried about the commute for 4 years. Who else commutes from Plymouth daily ?

Just had a look at course. Looks interesting. My comments are as follows

1. Why are you applying for MSc. Would a BSc not be sufficient

2. Yes you should wait for Plymouth because

3. Commuting 50 miles there and back on the back of shift work is going to kill you. Do not underestimate how much it will take out of you. Ward work on top of essays etc. I did A degree with one small child and I was working full time. 3 is unthinkable. You can probably do it But it will, be tough.

4. At the end of the day nursing is nursing. Doesn't matter which university you attend
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. I applied to Exeter as well as Plymouth because it was the next nearest university if Plymouth was full. I only applied 2 weeks ago (I have been very nervous about applying despite the amazing family support I have). Yes the Bsc is sufficient and I have no issues with Plymouth at all. I totally understand the commitment required, the long shifts when on placement etc hence why the commute is a concern. I think because I have had such a swift reply from Exeter and now know that uni is a possibility my mind has gone into overdrive. Can I make this work if Plymouth do not make me an offer. Just being impatient ! I understand the family implication too I had my first child in my second year at uni the first time round nearly 16 yrs ago !
Thank you for your reply. I applied to Exeter as well as Plymouth because it was the next nearest university if Plymouth was full. I only applied 2 weeks ago (I have been very nervous about applying despite the amazing family support I have). Yes the Bsc is sufficient and I have no issues with Plymouth at all. I totally understand the commitment required, the long shifts when on placement etc hence why the commute is a concern. I think because I have had such a swift reply from Exeter and now know that uni is a possibility my mind has gone into overdrive. Can I make this work if Plymouth do not make me an offer. Just being impatient ! I understand the family implication too I had my first child in my second year at uni the first time round nearly 16 yrs ago !

You don't have to respond yet - wait for Plymouth..

Still don't understand why a 4 year course - lot of time with no money.

And yes of course you can make anything work if you really want to. But I had a look at the distance 50 miles. Sometimes shifts start at 7:30 am. Shifts end at 9pm. Do you really want to be doing all that driving at the end of the day.

I am a senior sister in the NHS - we get a lot of students and the work load is quite heavy - Harvard referencing. I also did a module of a masters as well as part of my job ( nearly killed me! - but I was a long time out of university)

It is easy to get the excited bug about things - rein it in for a short while and think about the implications.
Reply 4
Exeter offer dual registration as an Adult health and Mental health nurse. Which appeals to me. I will be waiting to hear from Plymouth. I was trying trying to find anyone else who may have been offered a place and what their circumstances are. The majority of people at interview were mature students who will need to commute due to family commitments.
Exeter offer dual registration as an Adult health and Mental health nurse. Which appeals to me. I will be waiting to hear from Plymouth. I was trying trying to find anyone else who may have been offered a place and what their circumstances are. The majority of people at interview were mature students who will need to commute due to family commitments.

Yes I saw that dual registration - your problem once qualified is to get the hours necessary to revalidate in both sectors.

I am not trying to put you off by the way - it is easy to get caught up in the excitement - I am merely pointing out what you have to consider.

I trained many years ago - when we trained on the job - and we were attached to a school of nursing at a hospital.

I was offered Lewisham ( SE London ) or Guys ( London) In my haste I picked Lewisham - I would have loved to go to Guys ( better class of potential boyfriend!) but their start date was 6 months later and I was soooooooo desperate to leave home.

Good luck with your decisions
Reply 6
I value your opinion, it's really helpful if someone is honest. You made me chuckle about the boyfriend potential ! I am waiting for Plymouth, Exeter was an insurance plan. Fingers crossed they are in touch. And soon !
I value your opinion, it's really helpful if someone is honest. You made me chuckle about the boyfriend potential ! I am waiting for Plymouth, Exeter was an insurance plan. Fingers crossed they are in touch. And soon !

Let me know what you decide - fingers crossed for you. Never been unemployed as a nurse - but make sure you always do the right thing. Far too many nurses today don't adhere to the NMC guidelines - and just to scare you - have a look at the NMC website - online latest hearings and see the nurses that have been struck off each month and why. All my students - I make them look and I think they are slightly horrified.
Reply 8
I will be in touch. I've been reading the NMC code etc but not looked at latest hearings ..... I will whilst hiding behind a pillow ! Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated
I will be in touch. I've been reading the NMC code etc but not looked at latest hearings ..... I will whilst hiding behind a pillow ! Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated

LOOK at the hearings - it will guide you. Being a nurse is a great career and I have no regrets apart from the Guys thing! Travelled all over the world and am now in a great job which I love

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending