The Student Room Group

Got the degree? yes? A Levels? yes?experience?no! job?maybe/probably no

I think if the universities have tripled the fees , every student should be guaranteed some work experience. Also, more high quality apprenticeships should be introduced.

A lot of jobs want great A levels, good degree ,maybe a masters and 6 months experience for an entry level job with little pay.. or worse, for unpaid internships that you may have to pay to get to...

also.. i don't like the self-service machines in supermarkets , particularly, when you scan the item wrong and it says ,' please wait for assistance'.

Scroll to see replies

okay
How can you guarantee (relevant) work experience when there are more grads than jobs?
Original post by tjblonks
I think if the universities have tripled the fees , every student should be guaranteed some work experience.

No... You can find work experience yourself. Plenty of companies offer fantastic internships with some fantastic pay packages with benefits...

Many of which will pay well above the actual London living wage/the actual UK living wage

If a student is proactive and good enough, they will find something that pays over the summer.

or worse, for unpaid internships that you may have to pay to get to...

Those are disgusting, yes. No one should have to do an unpaid internship/pay to get one. There are plenty of paid ones going around.

If you can provide some form of value to a company or if your degree and relevant skills are in demand, you will find a paid summer placement.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Ok, granted , guarantee is a strong word.What i mean to say is , the universities should at least provide a bit more value. Even secondary schools provided some. I was at uni when the fees were £3000 or less . In 2012/13 ,many universities increased then haven't increased the value of what students would get , (A lot , not all).

At the cost they are charging and requirements for a lot of graduate work, i think for many courses , it might not be worth the money. Loads of people are gonna end up in mcdonalds or doing something not related to what they studied:dontknow:. I think uni's should do a lot more
Original post by Student-95
How can you guarantee (relevant) work experience when there are more grads than jobs?
Reply 5
First point. I just think universities should have greater responsibility because of what they charge. It's not that easy or fair , depending on your profession/graduate path. There are some great places to work but getting your foot in the door can be impossible or easy. Nursing ,for example is a shortage occupation and you could get a job very easily. Engineering, some IT jobs,Law,History, Medicine , not so much.

What scared me is that a lot of good city jobs i applied for had e.g. 2000 applications for 80 jobs. The hiring managers said, at times ,95% of the applicants had the grades required i.e AAA and high 2.1. I don't know how many jobs i applied for and many employers sometimes do not respond (assume ,you have been unsuccessful). The only work experience i got was through a family friend and this is not uncommon i.e it's not what you know it's who you know:dontknow:. I am lucky and grateful but i think we need to recognise that the system doesn't work for a lot of students, not just me.

In a lot of ways ,it's better to get an apprenticeship

Original post by Blue_Cow
No... You can find work experience yourself. Plenty of companies offer fantastic internships with some fantastic pay packages with benefits...

Many of which will pay well above the actual London living wage/the actual UK living wage

If a student is proactive and good enough, they will find something that pays over the summer.

Those are disgusting, yes. No one should have to do an unpaid internship/pay to get one. There are plenty of paid ones going around.

If you can provide some form of value to a company or if your degree and relevant skills are in demand, you will find a paid summer placement.
First point. I just think universities should have greater responsibility because of what they charge. It's not that easy or fair , depending on your profession/graduate path. There are some great places to work but getting your foot in the door can be impossible or easy. Nursing ,for example is a shortage occupation and you could get a job very easily. Engineering, some IT jobs,Law,History, Medicine , not so much.

What scared me is that a lot of good city jobs i applied for had e.g. 2000 applications for 80 jobs. The hiring managers said, at times ,95% of the applicants had the grades required i.e AAA and high 2.1. I don't know how many jobs i applied for and many employers sometimes do not respond (assume ,you have been unsuccessful). The only work experience i got was through a family friend and this is not uncommon i.e it's not what you know it's who you know:dontknow:. I am lucky and grateful but i think we need to recognise that the system doesn't work for a lot of students, not just me.

In a lot of ways ,it's better to get an apprenticeship

I completely agree - apprenticeships are so appealing these days.

I wish I knew more about them whilst I was applying for uni, because the idea of being able to get a degree, get professional experience, and get paid is just the perfect package.

I think universities are just going to charge the maximum they can forever tbh. The thing is, some people will and think

Oh, Uni of X is cheaper than Uni of Y. That must mean Uni of Y is better than Uni of X!

:dontknow:

Yeah, some employers won't respond, that's just unfortunate :frown:
There has been a new body set up to oversee apprenticeships and many level 4-7 are being created. Just it isn't getting much publicity.

I agree now that the standard route is what you said in the opening post, a very scary place.
Ok, granted , guarantee is a strong word.What i mean to say is , the universities should at least provide a bit more value. Even secondary schools provided some. I was at uni when the fees were £3000 or less . In 2012/13 ,many universities increased then haven't increased the value of what students would get , (A lot , not all).

At the cost they are charging and requirements for a lot of graduate work, i think for many courses , it might not be worth the money. Loads of people are gonna end up in mcdonalds or doing something not related to what they studied:dontknow:. I think uni's should do a lot more

But again, the employment issue is to do with supply and demand. No matter how amazing the unis are, if there are more grads than jobs, some people will end up at mcdonalds. You could significantly limit the intake but is it really better to deny students the opportunity to study altogether?
I think if the universities have tripled the fees , every student should be guaranteed some work experience. Also, more high quality apprenticeships should be introduced.

A lot of jobs want great A levels, good degree ,maybe a masters and 6 months experience for an entry level job with little pay.. or worse, for unpaid internships that you may have to pay to get to...

also.. i don't like the self-service machines in supermarkets , particularly, when you scan the item wrong and it says ,' please wait for assistance'.

If you're getting entry level jobs with a masters and 6 months work experience, that's more to do with you as opposed to your uni education. That is, unless, you've decided to do a masters in something ridiculous like eSports...
Reply 10
Yeah , a lot of people probably do now.

I think if uni's charge £9,000 and are pushing to charge more , it's getting to the point that probably not worth the money to go in the majority of cases , unless you can get a job that is worth it.

Education is good and that but we are being taken for a ride :zomg:.

Original post by Blue_Cow
I completely agree - apprenticeships are so appealing these days.

I wish I knew more about them whilst I was applying for uni, because the idea of being able to get a degree, get professional experience, and get paid is just the perfect package.

I think universities are just going to charge the maximum they can forever tbh. The thing is, some people will and think

Oh, Uni of X is cheaper than Uni of Y. That must mean Uni of Y is better than Uni of X!

:dontknow:

Yeah, some employers won't respond, that's just unfortunate :frown:
Reply 11
Oh ok cool , i didn't know about that. Thanks
Original post by marinade
There has been a new body set up to oversee apprenticeships and many level 4-7 are being created. Just it isn't getting much publicity.

I agree now that the standard route is what you said in the opening post, a very scary place.
Reply 12
Point 1. I disagree , i think universitie have some influence in what happens , even though it may not be a great deal. Many uni's work in partnership with employers. Even if not guaranteeing work , they could do a lot more considering that they will jump at the price of charging a bucket load. £9200 to £27,000 is a big jump up in price my friend.

Point 2. What some industries do is look at A levels because a lot of students are getting 2.1's. In the more difficult industries to get into , it is not the same as it used to be. Degrees have less value these days Eg if an employer advertises 30 jobs and they need 2.1 and 200 people apply , and 195 people have a 2.1 degree, they need other ways to differentiate. Look at the video for the movie 21 below, although , that was for a scholarship , i think it illustrates my point about how difficult it could be to get a good job.
a good film btw:borat:.

Point 3.Lol , it is an unrelated problem. I just have had many experiences where the machine does not work or is very annoying. I would rather talk to people:dontknow:

Yeah , uni's do provide value but it depends on the uni. My gripe is that ,because of the amount of money they now charge , it is not the same value. If you go back to 2009 , many uni's provided the same value they did now. Degrees are not as valuable as they used to be and i believe that if they charge 3x as much ,they should provide 3x the value. I do understand and respect your points though.
Reply 13
Original post by That'sGreat
If you're getting entry level jobs with a masters and 6 months work experience, that's more to do with you as opposed to your uni education. That is, unless, you've decided to do a masters in something ridiculous like eSports...

Depends with the job and field though init. :dontknow:
Reply 14
It is a bit deep though. Would you rather deny someone their dream or let them chase it if there is a high chance of failure? I think perhaps ,at the very least , universities and colleges should be upfront about the realities of the world of work.
Original post by Student-95
But again, the employment issue is to do with supply and demand. No matter how amazing the unis are, if there are more grads than jobs, some people will end up at mcdonalds. You could significantly limit the intake but is it really better to deny students the opportunity to study altogether?
Reply 15
Yeah , true dat. There used to be a ' you need to go to uni to be success' culture , soo i think a lot of people fell into that trap and went without having a plan.

I think in some industries it is sometimes unescapable. Like the other guy said , there is supply and demand soo if companies have options , they could take the piss. Look at that guy who went to the UNhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33893384. And how wealthy is the UN?
Depends with the job and field though init. :dontknow:

No. I said it's to do with the person 'init'.
Reply 17
i don't know how to quote:dontknow:, how do you do this please?

I wouldn't say to get all of them jobs , just to do more to get experience. I take your point though.

Oh yeah , i think they want the best they can get. Someone who is academically good but also has a decent life and handle themselves in social situations and professional environments ,i.e someone who is rounded. You can have all the smarts but you need a lot more to make it and to fit in with whatever company you will apply for ,right? What i am saying in regards to the A levels is that, for example , when i was applying for work , i had a 2.1 , a commendation and other things but what precluded me from even getting to the next stage of the application is my A levels were not great.
I have heard that so many people meet the 'criteria' eg Degree ,experience and everything else, the only other thing they use to funnel out applicants is A levels.

I remember the heyday of Windows XP , the good old days of msn messenger. Some kids these days will never know how sick the OS was.

I didn't know this about what unis get so i can't really comment about this until i have looked into it a bit more. I am still of the opinion that students shouldn't have to pay that much for an education :dontknow:Thanks though.
The answer is to stop going to Uni, go to college (which is free) and get a job that is linked to your course.
It is a bit deep though. Would you rather deny someone their dream or let them chase it if there is a high chance of failure? I think perhaps ,at the very least , universities and colleges should be upfront about the realities of the world of work.

The odds of failure aren't that high for most fields and students who put some effort in should be fine. It's the ones that coast who tend to struggle. I agree there should be more transparency over job prospects, although if you're going to be spending thousands of pounds on something you'd hope the student could afford to spend half an hour on Google doing research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending