The Student Room Group

40 new Tory members shared or 'liked' racist Facebook posts

Scroll to see replies

No I meant you are saying that evil is not a generic feature but one that requires humanity (hence your "individuals are evil not words"). I did not mean to say that you said all of humanity.

Yes, it can, you can use it to teach people about evil. And since evil texts exist, you either ban them, or you need to teach people not to be influenced by them. Because no matter how you want to profess that it is all about individual responsibility, that is not how human psychology works. People are very much influenced by texts.
Reply 41
Original post by londonmyst
I believe in personal responsibility.
Not the fashionable victim centric blame culture where everyone portrays themselves as a victim and desperately seeks to blame someone/anyone/anything else for their own bad choices.
Adults are responsible for their actions- thus they should accept responsibility for their choices and mistakes.
Not seek to evade all responsibility by blaming their poor decision making on: the big bad book, music, computer games, their parents, the government or a particular politician (alive or dead) that they have never met.

Manufactured victhimhood has become a commodity but not by accident, it is traded by some people as a tool to extract some material gain from. There is a new breed of politicians with us nowadays, the talentless ones who have no scruples in setting out to manufacture a crisis of any type in order to pose as saviours of the world from it. The most common way is to divide society in groups and pit them against each other, don't they say the best way to conquer is just by doing that? Personal responsibility doesn't help them identify victims to extract votes from.

ps, i'd rep you and some others more often if I could but every time I rep someone once it becomes impossible to do it ever again. No idea of how some people manage to rep me a few times, they must be going round doing that to everyone. It is annoying.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by z-hog
Manufactured victhimhood has become a commodity but not by accident, it is traded by some people as a tool to extract some material gain from. There is a new breed of politicians with us nowadays, the talentless ones who have no scruples in setting out to manufacture a crisis of any type in order to pose as saviours of the world from it. The most common way is to divide society in groups and pit them against each other, don't they say the best way to conquer is just by doing that? Personal responsibility doesn't help them identify victims to extract votes from.

I know.
I grew up surrounded by it.
Doesn't a frowny face constitute a "like"? Can we have a look if these likes were frowny faces or smiley faces.
Original post by Notoriety
Doesn't a frowny face constitute a "like"? Can we have a look if these likes were frowny faces or smiley faces.

Wouldn't that just be a thumbs up?
Reply 45
Maybe but its going to make for rather amusing news coverage in the elections of the future when we discover that candidate X called women/men/ethnics/etc. something abusive as a teenager.
Then again, it still baffles me that people are particularly shocked when these "scandals" appear in the papers. People say dumb ****, particularly in their youth..
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Two Conservative local election candidates and a woman honoured with an MBE are among 40 new self-professed Tory members who have shared or endorsed racist and inflammatory Facebook posts including Islamophobic material, the Guardian has learned.

The torrent of racist posts include references to Muslims as “bin bag wearing individuals”, calls for the “cult” of Islam to be banned and the Qur’an being branded an “evil book”.

One female Tory supporter even called for a boycott of Muslim-owned shops and endorsed another comment labelling the religion’s followers “sub-human” and “cockroaches”.

Both of the council candidates one of them claimed “Islamophobia was not surprising” in a rant about Muslims and said he would celebrate the death of the anti-Brexit campaigner Gina Miller have now been suspended.

It comes as the Conservative party faces mounting pressure over its handling of Islamophobia. The Conservative peer Sayeeda Warsi has said Theresa May is “burying her head in the sand” over the issue and has led calls for a party inquiry.

Mohammed Amin, chairman of the Conservative Muslim Forum, is also calling for party chiefs to hold an inquiry into Islamophobia. He told the Guardian: “The serious question the Conservative party has to ask itself is: what is it about the image that it is projecting that causes people with these views to think they belong in the Conservative party?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/25/tory-candidates-suspended-over-racist-and-inflammatory-posts

Anti-semitism from Labour, islamophobia from the Tories... Who exactly do I vote for in the upcoming elections?

Whoever you like but if you are choosing one over the other I think the choice is obvious
Reply 47
Original post by Napp
Then again, it still baffles me that people are particularly shocked when these "scandals" appear in the papers. People say dumb ****, particularly in their youth..

There's nothing baffling about it, it's political warfare and the outrage is fake and manufactured. It's a way of sabotaging political adversaries and the Left are the leading lights at it because they have no scruples of any kind when it comes to attaining power. Nothing new, perfectly within character.
I mam, if something is funny, it's funny. You might be giving meaning to something that has none.
Reply 49
Original post by Napp
People say dumb ****, particularly in their youth..

Hold on while I attach the heavy-duty spring to by Acme Irony-o-Meter™.
Agree with you about the inappropriate phobia term.
Bigots usually make their reasoning very obvious to all- because they are vile bigots, brutal racists or vicious hate criminals.
Nothing to do with an irrational fear, pure hate and criminal thuggery.

Have you ever stopped to ask why they "hate them so much"? Either bothered to ask why you disagree with them so much, because I've noticed that people like you who are dismissive like this indirectly stimulate people into becoming even more radical than they may already be. Reminds me of situations where a kid is being bullied or is depressed, their concerns are dismissed, causing them to become more depressed and mentally isolated and seemingly devalued to the point of suicide to achieve some attention and then people begin to ask where things went wrong, like with that girl who suicided in China after peer pressure to jump and die for entertainment from those below.
Original post by Qup
Have you ever stopped to ask why they "hate them so much"? Either bothered to ask why you disagree with them so much, because I've noticed that people like you who are dismissive like this indirectly stimulate people into becoming even more radical than they may already be. Reminds me of situations where a kid is being bullied or is depressed, their concerns are dismissed, causing them to become more depressed and mentally isolated and seemingly devalued to the point of suicide to achieve some attention and then people begin to ask where things went wrong, like with that girl who suicided in China after peer pressure to jump and die for entertainment from those below.

Yes.
I have asked them, heard many answers and had even more bigotry fueled yelling in my face about their favourite topic.

I've spoken with vicious weirdos from all over the political spectrum ranging from trotsky supporting marxists to britain first and everything in between.
I grew up around a lot of class war revolutionaries, conspiracy theorists, antisemitic jew hating racists and religious cranks.
Your rhetoric is depressingly familiar, embraced by those who champion the cause of bigoted thugs and hate criminals.
It has recently been adopted by paedophile advocates and nomap lobbying groups too.
School bullies made my life miserable at multiple schools; over the years I've acquired plenty of experience with them, know most of the tactics they use and the reason why they select specific tactics/ what they hope to achieve.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by QE2

?
Original post by QE2

Come again?
Reply 53
Original post by z-hog
There's nothing baffling about it, it's political warfare and the outrage is fake and manufactured. It's a way of sabotaging political adversaries and the Left are the leading lights at it because they have no scruples of any kind when it comes to attaining power. Nothing new, perfectly within character.

I’ll happily agree to the first half of your comment but to say the left are the leading culprits is seriously pushing the boundaries of credulity. They’re both as bad as each other.
Original post by yudothis
The Bible is also an evil book. I do not discriminate in my condemnation of ancient ideologies.

The Bible or Koran or Torah or Guru Granit Sahib aren't evil; it's what people do with them. A 4" knife from our Foot Technology class isn't evil - stabbing someone is.
Yes.
I have asked them, heard many answers and had even more bigotry fueled yelling in my face about their favourite topic.

I've spoken with vicious weirdos from all over the political spectrum ranging from trotsky supporting marxists to britain first and everything in between.
I grew up around a lot of class war revolutionaries, conspiracy theorists, antisemitic jew hating racists and religious cranks.
Your rhetoric is depressingly familiar, embraced by those who champion the cause of bigoted thugs and hate criminals.
It has recently been adopted by paedophile advocates and nomap lobbying groups too.
School bullies made my life miserable at multiple schools; over the years I've acquired plenty of experience with them, know most of the tactics they use and the reason why they select specific tactics/ what they hope to achieve.

Interesting response, I don't sense there as having been a rationalisation attempt on your part, but interesting.

But even with that said, what rhetoric?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending