The Student Room Group

Help in bio plz on liver tissue and benedicts test

Why is the anser the opposite round i thought the liver would turn the benedicts orange ?
IMG_0355.jpg
Original post by Stormragexox
Why is the anser the opposite round i thought the liver would turn the benedicts orange ?
IMG_0355.jpg

anyone
Hi, the benedict's solution starts off blue and then turns red.
Original post by Jasmine528
Hi, the benedict's solution starts off blue and then turns red.

Hello XD does it gradually turn red because the glycogen is being hydrolysed by enzymes already present in the tissue
Hello XD does it gradually turn red because the glycogen is being hydrolysed by enzymes already present in the tissue

Reducing sugars (like glucose) react with copper ions (Cu2+) ions in the Benedict solution which causes them to gain electrons reducing them to brick red Cu+ ions.
Do you have the mark scheme?
IMG_0355.jpg
Yes. For liver being A it states that it gave a negative test for iodine as it doesn't contain starch and phloem being B it contains sucrose/a non-reducing sugar which was hydrolysed to a reducing sugar/monosacharride.
Yes. For liver being A it states that it gave a negative test for iodine as it doesn't contain starch and phloem being B it contains sucrose/a non-reducing sugar which was hydrolysed to a reducing sugar/monosacharride.

Thx for replying why is the test for starch +ve for B does the phloem also contain starch
Thx for replying why is the test for starch +ve for B does the phloem also contain starch

Yes as plants store carbohydrates as starch.
Reply 10
Yes as plants store carbohydrates as starch.

Hello, could you please help me in this question : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=82918592&highlight=

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending