The Student Room Group

Considering Switching Courses

I am a first year English Language student who is considering switching to English Language and Literature combined. However, I feel like that as I am nearing the end of the first year (and next year module options have already been selected), I am too late. I know the obvious answer is to discuss this with my course tutor to see what the verdict would be, but at the same time I want a second opinion. Has anyone switched courses or considered switching courses, and how did it go? Did you have to repeat first year or did you continue on with your course? How was student finance also affected? Thank you!
Original post by golden_oldie
I am a first year English Language student who is considering switching to English Language and Literature combined. However, I feel like that as I am nearing the end of the first year (and next year module options have already been selected), I am too late. I know the obvious answer is to discuss this with my course tutor to see what the verdict would be, but at the same time I want a second opinion. Has anyone switched courses or considered switching courses, and how did it go? Did you have to repeat first year or did you continue on with your course? How was student finance also affected? Thank you!

This all depends on your university regulations. No one here can say whether it’s too late or not to swap this year.

Everyone gets one gift year of funding to allow for a restart/repeat so there’s no problem with finance
I know at Hallam you can swap to a similar course and go into the second year of that one (a couple of people I know did it). Some people switched from a different course and went into first in the new one. Ultimately do what would make you happiest. Talk to your tutors and so you know what your options are.

Lucy

Hi @golden_oldie

So this is the process of switching courses:

As you've mentioned already here speak to the course leader for the course you would like to switch to, and they will find out the availability for the course. Assuming it is ok for you to switch, you can then speak to student support to get a transfer form which needs to be signed by both course leaders (the course you are already on and the course you want to switch to).

Let me know if you need any help with it, I recommend just asking about it then you'll know if it's possible or not.
Bridget
Original post by hallamstudents
I know at Hallam you can swap to a similar course and go into the second year of that one (a couple of people I know did it). Some people switched from a different course and went into first in the new one. Ultimately do what would make you happiest. Talk to your tutors and so you know what your options are.

Lucy

Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @golden_oldie

So this is the process of switching courses:

As you've mentioned already here speak to the course leader for the course you would like to switch to, and they will find out the availability for the course. Assuming it is ok for you to switch, you can then speak to student support to get a transfer form which needs to be signed by both course leaders (the course you are already on and the course you want to switch to).

Let me know if you need any help with it, I recommend just asking about it then you'll know if it's possible or not.
Bridget

OP hasn't said anything about studying at Hallam :confused:
Original post by PQ

Regardless of the university students can often switch courses! The process might be similar at the OP's university, so it's still relevant :smile:

Lucy
Original post by PQ

Ah sorry! But as Lucy said above, the process may be relevant to their chosen university

Bridget

As you've outlined, its worth speaking with your specific department but in terms of other people with similar experiences, I also transferred. Firstly, I went through Clearing to get to university and the spaces were all filled for my desired course (English Literature and History) but there was spaces for English Literature so I accepted a place on that course and then when I got to university, I managed to transfer to Lit and History shortly after the courses began (the reason in my case for the delay was that I was told that I could take History modules but then when I arrived it turned out that this wasn't possible and so I then pursued changing courses). It was a pretty smooth process (possibly largely to do with the fact that it was early on) and there were no impacts on my student finance beyond just changing my course details on my account. Then I decided I wanted to move universities and so I transferred from the University of Manchester to Newcastle University straight into second year and didn't need to retake. I did continue the same course so this may have made a difference. The one aspect I should mention though is that it meant that my first year grades counted and those were the conditions for my transfer and so it might be that, to be able to change course, you need to achieve certain grades outlined by your university. As has been mentioned above, this process varies by institution and so I would recommend getting in touch with them - but in terms of smoothness of transition and student finance, I didn't have any problems in both situations - hope this helps and feel free to message me if you have any questions!
Original post by Wildean99
As you've outlined, its worth speaking with your specific department but in terms of other people with similar experiences, I also transferred. Firstly, I went through Clearing to get to university and the spaces were all filled for my desired course (English Literature and History) but there was spaces for English Literature so I accepted a place on that course and then when I got to university, I managed to transfer to Lit and History shortly after the courses began (the reason in my case for the delay was that I was told that I could take History modules but then when I arrived it turned out that this wasn't possible and so I then pursued changing courses). It was a pretty smooth process (possibly largely to do with the fact that it was early on) and there were no impacts on my student finance beyond just changing my course details on my account. Then I decided I wanted to move universities and so I transferred from the University of Manchester to Newcastle University straight into second year and didn't need to retake. I did continue the same course so this may have made a difference. The one aspect I should mention though is that it meant that my first year grades counted and those were the conditions for my transfer and so it might be that, to be able to change course, you need to achieve certain grades outlined by your university. As has been mentioned above, this process varies by institution and so I would recommend getting in touch with them - but in terms of smoothness of transition and student finance, I didn't have any problems in both situations - hope this helps and feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Thanks for the advice, that must've taken ages to write out - but I'm in my third year now. Actually, ten days away from finishing my English Language course at the same uni I started at. :smile:
Thanks for the advice, that must've taken ages to write out - but I'm in my third year now. Actually, ten days away from finishing my English Language course at the same uni I started at. :smile:

Ah well congratulations on your degree! I've only just realised that this post was years ago!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending