The Student Room Group

difference bewteen electrophoresis and dna profiling and sequencing

ok so what i have gathered from my spec there is:
PCR- which amplies a sample
and then there are 3 methods of analysis:
* electrophoresis
* dna profiling
* dna sequencing

what are the differences between the them 3?
Reply 1
Original post by ra1500
ok so what i have gathered from my spec there is:
PCR- which amplies a sample
and then there are 3 methods of analysis:
* electrophoresis
* dna profiling
* dna sequencing

what are the differences between the them 3?

Electrophoresis is a process where you cut the DNA up into fragments, place them in a well in agarose gel and then you apply a current to it. DNA is negatively charged and so moved from the cathode (negative) to the anode (positive). Longer fragments of DNA to not move as far along the gel in a given time compared to smaller fragments.

DNA profiling is an application of electrophoresis. Essentially, DNA is from specific points - these are usually places within the genome where there are repeating sequences of DNA (e.g. CAG repeats) known as microsatellites. The number of repeats is highly variable and therefore the number of repeats across multiple places within the genome is very unique to an individual.

DNA sequencing is actually looking at the sequence of nucleotides within the DNA.
Original post by Jpw1097
Electrophoresis is a process where you cut the DNA up into fragments, place them in a well in agarose gel and then you apply a current to it. DNA is negatively charged and so moved from the cathode (negative) to the anode (positive). Longer fragments of DNA to not move as far along the gel in a given time compared to smaller fragments.

DNA profiling is an application of electrophoresis. Essentially, DNA is from specific points - these are usually places within the genome where there are repeating sequences of DNA (e.g. CAG repeats) known as microsatellites. The number of repeats is highly variable and therefore the number of repeats across multiple places within the genome is very unique to an individual.

DNA sequencing is actually looking at the sequence of nucleotides within the DNA.

May I ask a question on this please ?
I was asked to describe how PCR is carried out, a process I am familiar with, only 2 marking points were new this time.
Screenshot (63).png
Mp3 and Mp7
What is the purpose of the Mg2+ or the buffer ?
And do you know the "appropriate" times for each step ?

Thank you in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending