The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

uwe bristol or derby uni

hi there ive got offers from university of the west of england bristol and derby to study psychology at uwe and psychotherapy and psychology joint honours at derby. how is life like at both the places as i would like a balance of a vibrant city life as well as a cozy countryside. how are the work placement opportunities like in derby uni? will i get to do psychology related placements? thank you
Hi @wildflower_ ,

We think Derby offers the best of both worlds great city life, and nearby countryside, including the Peak District. You can find out more about our location here: www.derby.ac.uk/life/city-countryside/.

In the second year of our Psychology course you currently have the opportunity to take a module called ‘Skills and Careers’. This module provides you with academic, careers, and employability support, and focuses on your career goals and personal development.

You also have the option of doing a placement year in which our Careers and Employment Service can help you find a suitable placement that ties in with your career goals.

~Marizel
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Don't go to Derby.

Whislt I studied BA Accounting and Finance at the University of Derby, I was very shy and quiet and I didn't like being made to speak in front of the whole class, and I had trouble joining a group for group work, so I sent an email explaining about my situation to the programme leader. She then thought it would be a good idea to forward my email to all the students and other tutors without my permission, because she thought it would help. I acted like I didn't know since she was only trying to help.

I then transferred to the University of Exeter to study a masters degree and I asked her to write me a reference. After she did that, she contacted the Exeter programme director of MSc Accounting and Taxation directly and forwarded that email to her. She also asked other tutors at Exeter to show my email to all the students (again she did it without notifying or conseting me first as she though it would help). However this time, it led to nasty consequnces as the studetns at Exeter all started making fun about me behind my back, so I decided to make a complaint.

I made a complaint to the Exeter Business School student services staff. The reception staff who I complained to had been very rude when I raised my concerns. She rolled her eyes and spoke in a sarcastic tone. I also spoke to one of the Information Governance Officers which didn't help.

After I made the complaints, I received insults and sneaky comments from my other tutors in class, both directly and indirectly, as a consequence of me reporting them. My year in Exeter has been appalling, thanks to the tutors at Derby for sending my email over there without my permission.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Don't go to Derby.

Whislt I studied BA Accounting and Finance at the University of Derby, I was very shy and quiet and I didn't like being made to speak in front of the whole class, and I had trouble joining a group for group work, so I sent an email explaining about my situation to the programme leader. She then thought it would be a good idea to forward my email to all the students and other tutors without my permission, because she thought it would help. I acted like I didn't know since she was only trying to help.

I then transferred to the University of Exeter to study a masters degree and I asked her to write me a reference. After she did that, she contacted the Exeter programme director of MSc Accounting and Taxation directly and forwarded that email to her. She also asked other tutors at Exeter to show my email to all the students (again she did it without notifying or conseting me first as she though it would help). However this time, it led to nasty consequnces as the studetns at Exeter all started making fun about me behind my back, so I decided to make a complaint.

I made a complaint to the Exeter Business School student services staff. The reception staff who I complained to had been very rude when I raised my concerns. She rolled her eyes and spoke in a sarcastic tone. I also spoke to one of the Information Governance Officers which didn't help.

After I made the complaints, I received insults and sneaky comments from my other tutors in class, both directly and indirectly, as a consequence of me reporting them. My year in Exeter has been appalling, thanks to the tutors at Derby for sending my email over there without my permission.

im so sorry they put you through this😔 this hurts me cause ive been there before too. having the entire class going against you and having zero support from even the tutors. i wish the best for you and hope good things come your way.
Hello, We are very sorry to hear about your experience here and we would like to look into this. Please could we ask that you email the Student and Graduate Experience Team at [email protected] providing as much details as possible. We will then look into this and come back to you as soon as possible. ^Callum
Original post by Anonymous
Don't go to Derby.

Original post by University of Derby
Hello, We are very sorry to hear about your experience here and we would like to look into this. Please could we ask that you email the Student and Graduate Experience Team at [email protected] providing as much details as possible. We will then look into this and come back to you as soon as possible. ^Callum

Hi Callum,
I've already made a complaint at Exeter but the tutors over there have refused to admit that they had received communications from the tutors at Derby.
The Exeter student services staff won't even believe me at all because:
1) In general it's unlikely that the tutors would have breached my data.
2) I have not been able to provide physical prove.

But if you want more details you can look at the following thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5309500

or type in 'Tutor shared my information with students but won't admit it?'

Quick Reply

Latest