The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies 2018-2019

Scroll to see replies

I don’t think people normally have time spare but some will have about 10 to 15 mins depending on the difficulty of the questions.
Original post by petsfurrypaws
I spent literally half the prelim using the PEEL structure and linking back was useless as it doesn’t gain you any marks in the KU questions :frown: So I’m stressed about timing as well.
How much time should you have to spare at the end for checking over answers?
Reply 21
Hi for the PEE structure when you give an example does it have to be a real example that has actually happened? like do you have to remember certain dates or certain policies/events and link them to the question? because in class we were just told we could make up an expample !
I wouldn’t recommend making up examples because we were told they get checked! I have been remembering some basic statistics and dates for my examples of things that are true or surveys that have taken place.
Original post by iqeas
Hi for the PEE structure when you give an example does it have to be a real example that has actually happened? like do you have to remember certain dates or certain policies/events and link them to the question? because in class we were just told we could make up an expample !
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
okay thank you! our teacher never told us this and I always struggled with writing something different for explain and example, it sucks that I just found that out now. Gonna have to remember a bunch of statistics yay.....
also is anyone else doing development in africa for world issues? thanks
Original post by NinaBella2003
I wouldn’t recommend making up examples because we were told they get checked! I have been remember some basic statistics and dates for my examples of things that are true or surveys that have taken place.
No problem. Try writing out flash cards with little bits of info on the specific topic on one side eg a social cause of crime and on the other side write out a statistic like (this is made up) 60% of people who were in jail in 2016/17 lived in deprived areas! Something like that!
Original post by iqeas
okay thank you! our teacher never told us this and I always struggled with writing something different for explain and example, it sucks that I just found that out now. Gonna have to remember a bunch of statistics yay.....
also is anyone else doing development in africa for world issues? thanks
Reply 25
Hi, my teacher who marks for Modern studies SQA said they don't get checked, she said you can make some things up as long as it makes sense and it its logical not something ridiculous like ''95% of Glasgow is deprived of poverty.''
I wouldn’t recommend making up examples because we were told they get checked! I have been remembering some basic statistics and dates for my examples of things that are true or surveys that have taken place.
Reply 26
okay thank you!!

Original post by plsA
Hi, my teacher who marks for Modern studies SQA said they don't get checked, she said you can make some things up as long as it makes sense and it its logical not something ridiculous like ''95% of Glasgow is deprived of poverty.''
Well that makes life slightly easier, thank you!
Original post by plsA

Original post by iqeas
okay thank you!!
Yeah we were told that for the examples its difficult to give exact figures for every single answer just try ensure you know what your talking about. You don't need to necessarily make up random exact figures just use common sense and try and write something down that supports your answer
Well that makes life slightly easier, thank you!
Original post by MajorKong
I'm sure you'll do fine. Did you mock exam go well? What did you get?

I managed to pass and get a B but that’s only because my friends teacher told her what to focus on for the prelims, and we practiced the source questions that come up in the prelim quite a lot in class
Reply 30
Lets hope the KU questions are good tomorrow!!!!!
Reply 31
Original post by mrobertson03
My teacher (who is part of the team that makes the exam) has strongly hinted that there will be a question on committees in the democracy section, as that was only added to the course last year.

is that or scottish democracy or uk democracy
Reply 32
Scottish democracy
Original post by iqeas
Scottish, sorry for not making that clear.
Original post by iqeas
Reply 34
Well done in getting a B! At least you're getting a good pass! I'd say practise some more source questions, and listen to advice here and at school. And with that, you'll do great tomorrow. Good luck!
Original post by Qwert007
I managed to pass and get a B but that’s only because my friends teacher told her what to focus on for the prelims, and we practiced the source questions that come up in the prelim quite a lot in class
Reply 35
idk if i should worry so much because I winged the prelim and got a B, I know I'm well capable of an A but its just such a log exam and so much to remember ://
Does anyone have any last minute tips for the exam tomorrow?? I’m drained from doing the bio exam today and need all the help i can get
Reply 37
I know this is last minute but is anyone willing to swap notes on, democracy in scotland, crime and law or development in africa? thanksss
Original post by Qwert007
Does anyone have any last minute tips for the exam tomorrow?? I’m drained from doing the bio exam today and need all the help i can get

Can't really offer any tips having never picked modern studies when I was at school, but make sure that you get a decent rest tonight! If you really want to do some revision, focus on a couple of key areas and don't spend too long on it, and then make sure you relax for a bit- exams are hard work! Hope the exam goes well for you tomorrow :smile:
Reply 39
Exam basically tests how fast you can write stuff haha not on knowledge and understanding...

Takes ages doing an ES question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending