The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AspiringAccount
So i'm doing twelfth night for English lit but am in a dilemma. I spent so much time getting my head around the books of the other components that I got no time for twelfth night (I'm doing a mock at some point today). Do you have anything that can get me that A grade (or B grade)?

You have to distribute your time more wisely. If you're comfortable with at least one other text that you're studying, switch to Twelfth Night now.

I have no resources that can help you. I'm sorry. If I did, I would try and give them.
Original post by Tolgarda
You have to distribute your time more wisely. If you're comfortable with at least one other text that you're studying, switch to Twelfth Night now.

I have no resources that can help you. I'm sorry. If I did, I would try and give them.

Understood. Thank you regardless.
Is anyone else doing Romeo and Juliet? Do we need to know both themes and characters for the 20mark whole text essay or is it just themes?? Thanks guys :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by jojobear27
Is anyone else doing Romeo and Juliet? Do we need to know both themes and characters for the 20mark whole text essay or is it just themes?? Thanks guys :wink:

I did Romeo and Juliet. You're better off preparing for both, just in case.
Paper reference: 1ET0 01
Paper title: Paper 1: Shakespeare and Post-1914 Literature
Duration: 1h 45m
Maximum mark available: 80 (50% of GCSE)
Date of paper: Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 (p.m.)
Paper 2 discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5896242

Some literary devices that constitute 'language' (AO2):

Spoiler

Some points that constitute 'form' AO2):

Spoiler

Some structural features that constitute 'structure' (AO2):

Spoiler

Guide through the paper
Section A (Shakespeare), part a (20 marks):

Analyse how the language, form and structure used by Shakespeare to create meanings and dramatic effects relate to the question (AO2).

Always quote as evidence to support your opinion. You have no excuse as the extract is in front of you.

Only focus on the extract given.

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Section A (Shakespeare), part b (20 marks):

Discuss your critical opinion (AO1) on how different events or characters in the play are related to the topic of the questions (either a theme or, on the rare occasion, a character, which will relate to the extract in part a).

Try to link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try to use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Try to include a pithy conclusion.

DO NOT discuss language, form or structure at all.

Try to avoid using quotes from the extract at all costs.

Section B (post-1914 literature; 40 marks):

Play to your strengths. You have a choice from two questions.

Use three main points (or however many you think is required) that are events from the text to support your critical opinion that relates to the question (AO1). Use pertinent quotes to support all of your points.

Use context to support all of your points (AO3). It is worth a lot of credit here.

Try to conclude with a pithy conclusion that is infused with some modern context that is relevant to the play and the question. You'll want to leaven an impression on the examiner.

Pay attention to SPaG! Eight of the marks (twenty per cent) in this question are for the accuracy of your spelling, grammar and punctuation. They are easy to gain, but also so easy to lose.

(If any of you want help, I scored 78/80 on this paper last year. I am free to help, so just DM me!)

May the odds be ever in your favour for all taking the exam!

Hey have you got any example to show of part a or b question. In my mocks I didn't get the grades I wanted so do you have an example of you answering these questions. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you sooo much for the advice above.
Reply 25
Original post by Zarin_176
Hey have you got any example to show of part a or b question. In my mocks I didn't get the grades I wanted so do you have an example of you answering these questions. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you sooo much for the advice above.

You can find examples of my responses here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5904442

You'll have to PM me for anything else (e.g. revision materials, further advice on essay structure etc.).
heyyy
This is a life saver
Hey, i was wondering how many quotes we will need to learn about and how to get top marks.
How can you impress the examiner?
Reply 28
Original post by Educationforlife
Hey, i was wondering how many quotes we will need to learn about and how to get top marks.
How can you impress the examiner?

One quote per point is good enough for part b and Section B. You must quote as much as you have to when you support your po9ints in part a because the text is in front of you.

The examiner is impressed by an understanding of the text, along with a perceptive perspective on it. You should also be able to have a strong focus on the question, with all of your points (and context, if there is any) being pertinent.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guide through the paper

Analyse how the language, form and structure used by Shakespeare to create meanings and dramatic effects relate to the question (AO2).

Always quote as evidence to support your opinion. You have no excuse as the extract is in front of you.

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Discuss your critical opinion (AO1) on how different events or characters in the play are related to the topic of the questions (either a theme or, on the rare occasion, a character, which will relate to the extract in part a).

Try to link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try to use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Use three main points (or however many you think is required) that are events from the text to support your critical opinion that relates to the question (AO1). Use pertinent quotes to support all of your points.

Use context to support all of your points (AO3). It is worth a lot of credit here.

Try to conclude with a pithy conclusion that is infused with some modern context that is relevant to the play and the question. You'll want to leaven an impression on the examiner.

Pay attention to SPaG! Eight of the marks (twenty per cent) in this question are for the accuracy of your spelling, grammar and punctuation. They are easy to gain, but also so easy to lose.

(If any of you want help, I scored 78/80 on this paper last year. I am free to help, so just DM me!)

For clarification, I don't talk about language, form and structure in section A. Right?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guide through the paper

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

has anyone got any notes or example answers on questions and how to form answers? thanks x
Reply 31
Original post by AspiringAccount
For clarification, I don't talk about language, form and structure in section A. Right?

In Section A, part b. You should definitely discuss the effects of language, form and structure in Section A, part a.
Original post by Lilli2003
has anyone got any notes or example answers on questions and how to form answers? thanks x

You should have been taught this. There is no one way to approach the questions. A very simple yet effective structure is the one outlined in the post for Section B in paper one, with Section A for both papers featuring three paragraphs, with one paragraph per point (for part a, each paragraph should discuss some element of AO2, usually one for language, one for structure and one for both with the form weaved in), and finally Section B on the second paper featuring three paragraphs (one for form, language and structure each) that compares the two poems. Here are exemplar answers from last year that I posted:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5904442&p=83043070&page=2#post83043070
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi - I am aiming for an 8 or 9 and I started revision months ago planning out mindmaps for each character and theme with quotes and their analysis. However I now have 5/6 days until the exam and I have only just finished! Therefore, I now only have those days to learn the quotes and analysis and dont have time to do any essays etc. I am studying Romeo and Juliet, A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls in addition to the Conflict Poetry. To top this all off my english teacher has been suspended. What can I do to learn the quotes and analysis? This is my only exam this year as we are entered for early entry in Year 10, so I am still in school everyday.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33
i need help on how to revise
How would you go about structuring the answers for each part of the exams? And how would you add your context in? Examples would be much appreciated
Reply 35
Original post by Koalaing
How would you go about structuring the answers for each part of the exams? And how would you add your context in? Examples would be much appreciated

You should have been taught a structure. I mention a possible structure in another one of my comments on the thread, with exemplars that could be used as examples dammit!
Anyone got a list of short quotes for Merchant of Venice?
Did anyone study Woman in Black? Im struggling, does anyone has any tips? Especially on Spider and Samuel Daily
Any predictions for animal farm on Wednesday?
Reply 39
whats a pithy conclusion?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guide through the paper

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Latest

Trending

Trending