The Student Room Group

MSc Computing vs MSc Computer Science

Hey guys,

Bit of a weird one for you here, but I'm a BA graduate, looking into converting to a career in either Computing or CS.
Without having studied Comp Sci or Computing prior, my options seem pretty limited, but I've noticed that a few universities offer an online MSc in Computer Science. I've also noticed that these are not the same as most university's Advanced Computer Science masters, which are obviously aimed at Comp Sci/Computing BSc graduates. There is a Comp Sci MSc at Birmingham that is a taught programme, but the course overview seems the same as the online degree programme at York, basically just CS but without the AI elements. Both contain Machine Learning modules however.

So my question is this, what are the advantages of MSc Comp Sci over MSc Computing, and by taking an MSc in Comp Sci instead of MSc Advanced Comp Sci am I preemptively blackballing myself from employers? The same would stand for the online MSc offered by York, would I be at a disadvantage in the job market with an online degree, even if that degree is an MSc from the University of York?

Sorry if I kind of prattled on a bit too much, but thanks for any help you can offer. :smile:
Reply 1
I am, but at the same time querying online MSc CS degrees vs taught MSc Comp Sci degrees.
And also Advanced CompSci vs CompSci
I think it depends mostly on the actual course, which ones are you considering?
Reply 3
Original post by olafgarten
I think it depends mostly on the actual course, which ones are you considering?

I had seen a CompSci MSc at York, which is purely online
There is a taught MSc in Computing at MMU
But also a taught CompSci at Birmingham

All 3 universities offer "Advanced CompSci" as an MSc which is only available to those with a BSc in Computing/CS
Computing MSc Student at MMU here:I started studying at MMU in 2018. Come from a bio-science background. Liked the idea of a 1 year conversion course so went for it.The MSc Computing I would not consider soft. It gives you exposure to software development fundamentals, with a focus on JAVA as the core language. Optional modules to learn more data science / machine learning or enterprise applications.I think a Computer Science degree will probably contain more theory based aspects, but if your overall goal is to become a front-end / back-end developer the MSc Computing is a fine choice. In addition, people do go on to do PhDs after studying MSc Computing.Many people on my course this year have secured jobs before the course has finished, including myself. Employers care less about the degree title and more the fact you have chosen a IT course and took the time and energy to go to uni to learn - Shows good intent. From here it is all about selling yourself at interview.
Reply 5
Original post by Rehnskjold
Hey guys,

Bit of a weird one for you here, but I'm a BA graduate, looking into converting to a career in either Computing or CS.
Without having studied Comp Sci or Computing prior, my options seem pretty limited, but I've noticed that a few universities offer an online MSc in Computer Science. I've also noticed that these are not the same as most university's Advanced Computer Science masters, which are obviously aimed at Comp Sci/Computing BSc graduates. There is a Comp Sci MSc at Birmingham that is a taught programme, but the course overview seems the same as the online degree programme at York, basically just CS but without the AI elements. Both contain Machine Learning modules however.

So my question is this, what are the advantages of MSc Comp Sci over MSc Computing, and by taking an MSc in Comp Sci instead of MSc Advanced Comp Sci am I preemptively blackballing myself from employers? The same would stand for the online MSc offered by York, would I be at a disadvantage in the job market with an online degree, even if that degree is an MSc from the University of York?

Sorry if I kind of prattled on a bit too much, but thanks for any help you can offer. :smile:

Listen Computing is more like networking, databse, cybersecurity, etc, Computer science is more like programming, algorithms, AI, Software developing Web Developing.
Would you like to check my Computer Science University comparison, which is essentially developed upon conversion courses?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=89990130#post89990130

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending