The Student Room Group

GCSE Music Edexcel - THIS WILL COME UP!

Hi guys, I've basically spent my Easter trawling through all of the sample papers and last years GCSE paper specifically for Edexcel Music and it's looking pretty clear that we are going to be an Area of Study 4 (Fusion) Set Work for Section B and an Area of Study 2 Question for the unfamiliars. For each of the 2 questions these were the only AoS's that haven't come up so it looks pretty likely!

Also if anyone's interested, I've written a Section B Question for Afro-Celt, drop me a DM if you want it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Release wasn’t in last year’s paper either. Also how do you revise for music, I’m horrible at it.
Reply 2
Oo didn't even pick up on that nice however that could be because the unfamiliar was based on it.

My advice for revising is get your anthology and follow the score as you're listening - this means you can internal the score visually as well as aurally.
Something the exam-board picked up on from last year was the lack of knowledge of structures of set works, to help with this edexcel released guides that go through the structure of each piece along with other key points. I would print these off and have them to hand every time your listening.
Finally, the best thing to do is practice question. Just pick a random extracts that last around 90 seconds e.g. the intro to 'Release' and just make up as many questions you can think of and then answer them, mark yourself with the score and see what you could have written. If you're going to do this, I would use the commands words from the spec when you write them - that way you're thinking in the style the examiners want you to.
Original post by ThunderBeard
Release wasn’t in last year’s paper either. Also how do you revise for music, I’m horrible at it.
Reply 3
Original post by Handel1742
Hi guys, I've basically spent my Easter trawling through all of the sample papers and last years GCSE paper specifically for Edexcel Music and it's looking pretty clear that we are going to be an Area of Study 4 (Fusion) Set Work for Section B and an Area of Study 2 Question for the unfamiliars. For each of the 2 questions these were the only AoS's that haven't come up so it looks pretty likely!

Also if anyone's interested, I've written a Section B Question for Afro-Celt, drop me a DM if you want it.

I like the fusions and the vocal music, just hoping area of study 1 doesn't come up as section B, otherwise I'm in trouble :\
Reply 4
Eek ikr, my teacher keeps banging on about a comparison between Brandenburg and a solo concerto and us having to discuss the differences + similarities between the two. but if we got a Beethoven section b i'd be dead; it's my worst set work and although i love the piece i cannot get my head around the theory, absolutely no clue what they'd give for us a essay with that one.

Although the examiners could have a right laugh with an unfamiliar on pathetique because of all the theory related to it, again i'd die lol!
Original post by Rebekah_951
I like the fusions and the vocal music, just hoping area of study 1 doesn't come up as section B, otherwise I'm in trouble :\
Reply 5
Eek ikr, my teacher keeps banging on about a comparison between Brandenburg and a solo concerto and us having to discuss the differences + similarities between the two. but if we got a Beethoven section b i'd be dead; it's my worst set work and although i love the piece i cannot get my head around the theory, absolutely no clue what they'd give for us a essay with that one.

Although the examiners could have a right laugh with an unfamiliar on pathetique because of all the theory related to it, again i'd die lol!

Same, I just can't seem to understand or even vaguely remember the theory for those pieces. If the essay question is on Brandenburg or Beethoven I wouldn't even attempt it, because the examiners would probably have a right laugh reading my answer. Right now i am just perfecting my coursework so it can carry me in the exam
Reply 6
Good plan, I've been in over Easter so I'm pretty much sorted on composition but my performance was literally dreadful, I doubt if I get 20/30 on it.
Same, I just can't seem to understand or even vaguely remember the theory for those pieces. If the essay question is on Brandenburg or Beethoven I wouldn't even attempt it, because the examiners would probably have a right laugh reading my answer. Right now i am just perfecting my coursework so it can carry me in the exam
Reply 7
Good plan, I've been in over Easter so I'm pretty much sorted on composition but my performance was literally dreadful, I doubt if I get 20/30 on it.

I was so nervous for my performance piece, I recorded over 30 times, (I'm not even joking). I legit spent 2 horus after school recording with my teacher likely she is really nice and allowed me to record it so many times. When I go back, I have my piano duet to record, and I am so nervous as its quite hard to play. But oh well hopefully my coursework is like a level 8 standard.
Reply 8
does anyone else absolutely HATE both of the fusion ones?? Release is growing on me a little but samba can leave. the purcell sends me to sleep but it's easy enough to write about :frown:
Reply 9
I was so nervous for my performance piece, I recorded over 30 times, (I'm not even joking). I legit spent 2 hours after school recording with my teacher likely she is really nice and allowed me to record it so many times. When I go back, I have my piano duet to record, and I am so nervous as its quite hard to play. But oh well hopefully my coursework is like a level 8 standard.

Oh man, I don't think I did it 30 times but it was quite a few, at least 15 - on a few takes I start playing and just hit a wrong chord for the first note and all you can hear on the recording is me and my teachers laughing. Good luck for it and I hope you get a 9 :smile:
Lol, did it twice and got a 6.
Oh man, I don't think I did it 30 times but it was quite a few, at least 15 - on a few takes I start playing and just hit a wrong chord for the first note and all you can hear on the recording is me and my teachers laughing. Good luck for it and I hope you get a 9 :smile:

you too!!! not long now to the exam!
Eek ik then holiday!!! Let me know how you thought exam goes afterwards!!
you too!!! not long now to the exam!
I'm absolutely dreading music. I find the samba the simplest piece though, so I'd be pretty glad if it did come up.
My theory is quite weak, bc I only started grade 5 abrsm theory this year and sat the exam last month (I got 84/100- merit) but stil. theory is the biggest headache.
Thats pretty good, I started GCSE with no grades at all, for performance and theory, I managed to get pull off an easy grade 5 piece for my solo but it was really tough.
Original post by meipwrk
I'm absolutely dreading music. I find the samba the simplest piece though, so I'd be pretty glad if it did come up.
My theory is quite weak, bc I only started grade 5 abrsm theory this year and sat the exam last month (I got 84/100- merit) but stil. theory is the biggest headache.
I can't believe I was right !!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending