The Student Room Group

Can you get STD without sex?

Like if someone had an STD, does that mean they've had sex (unprotected)

Of so then how did it all start?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, you can.
Original post by HighFructose
Silly and morally corrupt generation

Oh **** off :troll:

I agree 😂😂
Yes. e.g. an infant can contract an infection from their mother.
(edited 4 years ago)
How does one light a joint without the use of hands?
Reply 5
With a lot of std's you can get them anally, orally or in youre genitals so someone could give head to someone with clap and get clap in their throat but it won't spread to the rest of the body. you will always have got it off someone whether you shared sex toys or what but you don't need to actually have sex
Original post by Anonymous

Is your question about the methods of how STDs can be spread, or the origins of STD's? :curious:

is it just me or does it seem the more 'sex-ed' schools do, the more ignorant the younger people are becoming regarding sex
Reply 7
I only left school 3 years ago but sex ed was non existent, I just don't think its taught properly or taken seriously
Is your question about the methods of how STDs can be spread, or the origins of STD's? :curious:

is it just me or does it seem the more 'sex-ed' schools do, the more ignorant the younger people are becoming regarding sex
Original post by _roman0f
I only left school 3 years ago but sex ed was non existent, I just don't think its taught properly or taken seriously

fair enough, im 23 so its been a long time since ive done school sex-ed, but i got taught the core biology of it & learnt the rest the old-fashioned way so to speak...

I got the impression this subject was becoming more widely taught and a much more liberal approach to the subject was being taken. Maybe the clips i see on good morning britain are a little exaggerated then, i got it in my mind that it was being taught in primary schools nowadays and more education on LGBT & casual sex, whereas when i was taught it was more about conception etc ...
You can get HPV from just being sexual with someone, not having sexual intercourse.

it all started with a man and an ape.

The origin of STD
Sorry but I've never had sex-ed. Never in my life.
I was 13 when i realised that a baby comes out of the vagina, and 14 when i actually knew what sex was, and that everyone who has kids must have had sex
Believe it or not it was hard to digest.
Sorry my question should have been - can you get STD with ANY contact. If so where did STD originate from? Like there must have been one person who got STD on its own and then it all spread, right?

Didn't expect that from you.
I was asking a genuine question
Original post by sinfonietta
Yes. e.g. an infant can contract an infection from their mother.

Is that if the mother had STD?

Just because it is an STD, doesn't mean that it can only be sexually transmitted.

\Most STDs can be transmitted through the feutus, contaminated blood products, shared needles or contaminated blood/organs

MCV (water warts) and Herpes can be transmitted through sking to skin contact.

Despite the fact that Ebola is not known as an STD, it can be spread though bodiy fluid, so it is transmittable through sex.
(edited 4 years ago)
The origin of STD

Honestly i don't know, but for most STD's i'd assume the same way every other bacteria & viruses evolves (This can be googled/youtube, its too big a topic for a TSR post). This is the vast majority of STD's ie Chlamydia, herpes, HIV, gonorrhea etc etc.

Then there are the likes of crabs and these are small insects like fleas, or headlise. Again i don't know but i'm guessing the same way any other insect has evolved (give it a google).

STD's have been around forever, and even in short time spans modern science has watched their evolution: the well known case is gonorrhea which is evolving increasingly more & more resistant to anti-biotics.

I wouldn't worry about this point, maybe in a few years once you've learnt a bit more biology and if your still curious dig into google & science direct.
Honestly i don't know, but for most STD's i'd assume the same way every other bacteria & viruses evolves (This can be googled/youtube, its too big a topic for a TSR post). This is the vast majority of STD's ie Chlamydia, herpes, HIV, gonorrhea etc etc.

Then there are the likes of crabs and these are small insects like fleas, or headlise. Again i don't know but i'm guessing the same way any other insect has evolved (give it a google).

STD's have been around forever, and even in short time spans modern science has watched their evolution: the well known case is gonorrhea which is evolving increasingly more & more resistant to anti-biotics.

I wouldn't worry about this point, maybe in a few years once you've learnt a bit more biology and if your still curious dig into google & science direct.

Thank you that was very informative. So it was more like a mutation?

Is HIV and STD too?
Original post by stoyfan
Just because it is an STD, doesn't mean that it can only be sexually transmitted.

\Most STDs can be transmitted through the feutus, contaminated blood products, shared needles or contaminated blood/organs

MCV (water warts) and Herpes can be transmitted through sking to skin contact.

I see, so any contact
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending