Do women have a place in football/soccer? Watch

MrMarks
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am researching this question.

Where are you from, and simply what is your opinion?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yes, why not? If they are talented enough and enjoy it.
From the UK
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Well somebody's gotta wash the kit.😁
BLD1001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MrMarks)
I am researching this question.

Where are you from, and simply what is your opinion?
I think women do have a place in Football, just like any other sport, but the F.A. do need more funding for female role models in football, its been spoken of that the Lionesses need to play in large stadiums for their World cup qualifiers and friendlies. The WSL (Womens super league) has shown that there is quality players and talent in the teams, in terms of the actual league, it is quite compressed and small, with only 11 teams. You need a full 20 teams with funding, fair wages and promotion as the mens premier league. The womens game is slower and can get tedious to watch because of the slow pace but i believe the sport is growing for women. I think if the England squad do well in the World cu this summer then that will trigger a massive increase in girls and omen in sport, especially football.
PorkBunFun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I believe they have a big role to play in the games future unfortunately they aren't given the spotlight they deserve. The women's football clubs are kinda swept under the rug when instead they should be celebrated and encouraged just the same. This will take a long time.though
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My own opinion is that football is an inane and pointless sport; rugby is much more interesting. But regardless of your sex you should be allowed the same opportunities to play the sport you want
Lannister043
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by PorkBunFun)
I believe they have a big role to play in the games future unfortunately they aren't given the spotlight they deserve. The women's football clubs are kinda swept under the rug when instead they should be celebrated and encouraged just the same. This will take a long time.though
Women are simply not as good, and people usually want to watch the best.
PorkBunFun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That may be true for now but if they were given the better coaching and funding provided to the main clubs it may be a different story. That's just my opinion though. To be truthful I don't know if it would be the case or not.
(Original post by Lannister043)
Women are simply not as good, and people usually want to watch the best.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sure, too bad no one watches it. Horrible to watch imo.
Lannister043
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That may be true for now but if they were given the better coaching and funding provided to the main clubs it may be a different story. That's just my opinion though. To be truthful I don't know if it would be the case or not.
It won't be a different story. I think a game was played with under 15 boys and a professional woman's team and the latter lost.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Can you name me one reason why they shouldn't?
BLD1001
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I dont think you can say that female footballers are simply not as good as football as men because yeah men are going to be able to run faster, have more strength and power because the body is full of testosterone but that's why they have separate sporting leagues for men and women. I agree women will never be good as men at sport (professionally) because of those factors but in their own gender orientated sport females are better at it than other females.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't mind having a women's club that wears the :arsenal: badge, sometimes when the men fail you can at least comfort yourself with the fact that the women aren't as bad
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Why should they be celebrated the same when the quality is significantly lower? Professional female teams are a lower standard than many amateur male teams.
Last edited by Student-95; 9 months ago
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BLD1001)
I think women do have a place in Football, just like any other sport, but the F.A. do need more funding for female role models in football, its been spoken of that the Lionesses need to play in large stadiums for their World cup qualifiers and friendlies. The WSL (Womens super league) has shown that there is quality players and talent in the teams, in terms of the actual league, it is quite compressed and small, with only 11 teams. You need a full 20 teams with funding, fair wages and promotion as the mens premier league. The womens game is slower and can get tedious to watch because of the slow pace but i believe the sport is growing for women. I think if the England squad do well in the World cu this summer then that will trigger a massive increase in girls and omen in sport, especially football.
Can they sell the stadiums out? The women’s fa cup final the biggest game they have domestically is expected to have 52,000, less than the checkatrade trophy final.

“You need a full 20 teams“ not even all top European leagues have 20 teams

“funding, fair wages” what do you mean by fair? Who decides fair?

“promotion as the mens premier league.” If you mean promotion as in teams it happens if you mean promotion as in advertising it’s up to the league to become financially viable to the same level for that.

A lot of the pushing of women’s football like this post wants to skip the important steps and just go to the end.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
To paraphrase Jess Phillips MP, They can have the pay and coverage parity when their international sides stop losing to schoolboy teams.

Unfortunately they aren't working for the council, they are expected to turn a profit.

So, female players should get more pay and coverage because they are female, not because they've earned it?

This is the sexism of lowered expectations.
As others have pointed out, most decent Sunday league teams would beat top women's teams.
Should sunday league players get equal pay and coverage as premier players?
Football us a business. If you bring money in you get paid more.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 9 months ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I presume you don't follow football that well? The BBC in their football coverage have been heavily pushing the woman's game for a few years now. Its actively part of their mission and its in their equality/diversity reports. They are not just responding to the demand of the public, but they are activly pushing to create more demand by publishing more articles, showing more matches, bringing the woman's game to the same level as the mens.

No other sports publication is doing this at the moment, and that's very telling. All of the private publications, that rely on generating income from the public to survive are still showing predominantly male football coverage with a small amount of female coverage when something major happens. They are your measure of public opinion because you can guarantee that if these publications saw a way of making more money by showing more female coverage, they would in a heart beat. But the BBC being funded and managed differently has much more scope to push things like women's football, without having to worry about whether their new content is gaining enough views or selling enough papers.

So its not that they aren't given a spotlight they deserve, currently they are given (by our largest broadcaster) a spotlight that's bigger then they deserve. That's not really a problem, the BBC are gambling that demand will rise to meet coverage and as demand increases so will quality, but I point it out just to prove that its not as simple as saying 'they should be celebrated' - they are celebrated far more then their achievements or resonance with the public currently deserves.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I presume you don't follow football that well? The BBC in their football coverage have been heavily pushing the woman's game for a few years now. Its actively part of their mission and its in their equality/diversity reports. They are not just responding to the demand of the public, but they are activly pushing to create more demand by publishing more articles, showing more matches, bringing the woman's game to the same level as the mens.

No other sports publication is doing this at the moment, and that's very telling. All of the private publications, that rely on generating income from the public to survive are still showing predominantly male football coverage with a small amount of female coverage when something major happens. They are your measure of public opinion because you can guarantee that if these publications saw a way of making more money by showing more female coverage, they would in a heart beat. But the BBC being funded and managed differently has much more scope to push things like women's football, without having to worry about whether their new content is gaining enough views or selling enough papers.

So its not that they aren't given a spotlight they deserve, currently they are given (by our largest broadcaster) a spotlight that's bigger then they deserve. That's not really a problem, the BBC are gambling that demand will rise to meet coverage and as demand increases so will quality, but I point it out just to prove that its not as simple as saying 'they should be celebrated' - they are celebrated far more then their achievements or resonance with the public currently deserves.
Excellently put.

If the sport can't even interest other women in decent numbers to go along and watch how are they going to progress?
Where are the supporters going to come from for this great demand for another League?
People that currently support a team in men's football invest heavily in both time and money.
Thousands on season tickets, every weekend written off during the season including the cost and time spent travelling to away games.
If you can't convince an army of womeof to invest in women's football how will you convince a time and cash strapped army of people already heavily invested in the pro men's game to go and watch them?
BLD1001
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Can they sell the stadiums out? The women’s fa cup final the biggest game they have domestically is expected to have 52,000, less than the checkatrade trophy final.

“You need a full 20 teams“ not even all top European leagues have 20 teams

“funding, fair wages” what do you mean by fair? Who decides fair?

“promotion as the mens premier league.” If you mean promotion as in teams it happens if you mean promotion as in advertising it’s up to the league to become financially viable to the same level for that.

A lot of the pushing of women’s football like this post wants to skip the important steps and just go to the end.
Not really...I think everybody knows that it will take more than just a year or two to make this work. You probably need 10 years to see any significant improvements. Now that Females are now being identified as sporting role models for younger girls, newer generations will start to follow other Females in the game which will then increase the numbers. If the England women played in a large stadium, for example, wembley, you will have people coming to see the game just to get into the stadium and get the feel of the atmosphere. The WSL has experienced an increase in capacity of people turning up to watch the games, surely that is an improvement? I am not missing the important steps because the important steps is to to get more females into football, the more footballers and the popularity of the sport, the more likely you will get the funding for stadiums and club fundings.
Thebuster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yea but they wont get watched as much as the guys because they aint as good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads