The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Practise Paper Question

The depth, h metres, of water in a harbour on any particular day can be modelled by the formula, h = 5+3sin (30t) where t is the time in hours after midday.

a) find the maximum depth of water in the harbour using this model (1 mark)

b) The ship can enter the harbour when the depth of water is at least 6.5 metres.
Find the times after mid-day during which the ship can enter the harbour
Reply 1
Original post by mumtaz15
The depth, h metres, of water in a harbour on any particular day can be modelled by the formula, h = 5+3sin (30t) where t is the time in hours after midday.

b) The ship can enter the harbour when the depth of water is at least 6.5 metres.

What have you tried? Please post your working.
Reply 2
I haven't known what to do with part a but for part b I substituted h in as 6.5, so 6.5 = 5+3sin(30t), then took the 5 away so 1.5 = 3sin(30t) and divided by 3sin(30) and I got t=1

Original post by Notnek
What have you tried? Please post your working.
Reply 3
I haven't known what to do with part a but for part b I substituted h in as 6.5, so 6.5 = 5+3sin(30t), then took the 5 away so 1.5 = 3sin(30t) and divided by 3sin(30) and I got t=1

Starting with a):

You need to find the maximum value that h can be. First what's the maximum that sin(30t) can be?
Reply 4
I don't understand your question, how would I work out the maximum
Original post by Notnek
Starting with a):

You need to find the maximum value that h can be. First what's the maximum that sin(30t) can be?
Reply 5
I don't understand your question, how would I work out the maximum

You should know from GCSE what the maximum value that sin(x) can be. Think about the graph.

The maximum of sin(30t) is the same as the maximum of the sin(x) graph since t can be any positive value.
Reply 6
Ohh is it 1?
Original post by Notnek
You should know from GCSE what the maximum value that sin(x) can be. Think about the graph.

The maximum of sin(30t) is the same as the maximum of the sin(x) graph since t can be any positive value.
Reply 7
Ohh is it 1?

That's right. So what's the maximum of 3sin(30t)? Then what's the maximum of 5 + 3sin(30t)?
Reply 8
so h = 5 +3sin(30x1)
h= 6.5 metres

Your working is confusing. You know that the maximum of sin(30t) is 1 so what's the maximum of 3sin(30t)? You shouldn't be setting t = 1.
Reply 9
Omg of course h=8, right?

Original post by Notnek
Your working is confusing. You know that the maximum of sin(30t) is 1 so what's the maximum of 3sin(30t)? You shouldn't be setting t = 1.
Reply 10
Omg of course h=8, right?

Correct :smile: Are you happy with b) or do you need any help?
Reply 11
I'd like some help as it says 'times' not 'time' and my working out is giving me 1 answer so I don't think it's right
Original post by Notnek
Correct Are you happy with b) or do you need any help?
Reply 12
I'd like some help as it says 'times' not 'time' and my working out is giving me 1 answer so I don't think it's right

1.5=3sin(30t)1.5 = 3\sin (30t)

Dividing by 3 gives

sin(30t)=0.5\sin (30t) = 0.5

When you solve this there will be multiple solutions. I'm sure you've done something like this before.
Reply 13
when I inverse sin then divide by 30 my answer is 1

Original post by Notnek
1.5=3sin(30t)1.5 = 3\sin (30t)

Dividing by 3 gives

sin(30t)=0.5\sin (30t) = 0.5

When you solve this there will be multiple solutions. I'm sure you've done something like this before.
Reply 14
when I inverse sin then divide by 30 my answer is 1

sinx=0.5\sin x = 0.5. At GCSE there would have been 1 solution to this but at A Level you will have learnt that there are many solutions. t = 1 is only one solution.
Reply 15
yep, to find other solutions, you would've learnt how to use the graph of sine or the CAST diagram if that rings a bell?
Original post by Notnek
sinx=0.5\sin x = 0.5. At GCSE there would have been 1 solution to this but at A Level you will have learnt that there are many solutions. t = 1 is only one solution.

do you have the link to this practice paper please?

Pls can you tell me the name of the paper you found this?
Reply 18
Original post by Aliyu345426

Please check the dates of threads before you resurrect them - this thread is 2 years old and the OP hasn't logged on for nearly 2 years!

If you're stuck on a particular problem then the best thing to do is to start a new thread of your own with details of any working that you've done :smile:
Original post by Aliyu345426

sorry it's late this is AQA AS Maths Practice Paper1 Set 2 question 5

Quick Reply

Latest