The Student Room Group

My Ultimate GCSE Grade 9 Strategy!

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh! Literally two weeks till exams and I am soooo stressed I haven’t a clue how to revise English literature :frown: :/ help! Please!
Flash cards.
Original post by amrita.xox
ahhh! Literally two weeks till exams and i am soooo stressed i haven’t a clue how to revise english literature :frown: :/ help! Please!
1. Make sure you understand the plays (in terms of what is going on and what the writers message is)
2. Learn key quotations about the characters and analyse them (I'd recommend flash cards)
3. Ask people to test you on either remembering the quotes, how to analyse them, or the different themes in the play.
4. DONT STRESS - this isn't good for health and exam performance on the day. This is how im revising rn, hope it helped 😀
Original post by SchmuckOff
Flash cards.
How are people revising for science for grade 9
Reply 64
Have a look at the comment I made before on this :smile:
Original post by Marlingulf
Does anyone know how I should revise for history. I have the knowledge, I just struggle to find the marks when writing my answer, could it be structure? I don't know what my weakness is, currently on a grade 7.
Reply 65
I agree with everything here, this is good advice!
Original post by Marlingulf
I'd recommend making flash cards containing quotes which can be expanded on with deep analysis, learn them by heart so you are prepared for the test. Try and do at least 2 for each theme for Macbeth, a Christmas carol and an inspector call (or whichever plays you are studying). Also on the flash cards make sure to analyse the quotes you write down.
Reply 66
Check out one of the previous posts I made about this
Original post by faithxox123
how did you revise for the sciences
Reply 67
Who's Mr Salles?
Original post by Hiro2468
Thank you! Mr Salles is making Macbeth quote videos that can answer any question they give you. So should I just learn those?
I am currently working on a grade 8/9 in History and 7's on the rest of my subjects (except maths). Hope to get 7's and 8's in the real thing :smile:
Original post by AntMan200
Who's Mr Salles?

The best English teacher! I prefer him over Mr Bruff eventhough he doesn't do my exam board. I recommend him (^_^ ) I don't know how to use his videos to my advantage though
Reply 70
I don't do all the same subjects as you but i do get 8s and 9s. In my last mocks (out of the 6 subjects we did) i got 3 9s, 1 8+, 1 8 and 1 7. So if you need any help I'd be happy to help but if anyone does geography i need help :frown:
Original post by faithxox123
how were you ableto revise for the science exams

If anyone else has any good revision advice please let me know!!!!
Original post by Fsm1
I don't do all the same subjects as you but i do get 8s and 9s. In my last mocks (out of the 6 subjects we did) i got 3 9s, 1 8+, 1 8 and 1 7. So if you need any help I'd be happy to help but if anyone does geography i need help :frown:

Hey how do you revise for science,English,maths
Sure I've been told that it's never too late to start revising but I really don't feel like it's possible to get a decent grade at this point. I'm in tears because of how much revision I could have done in February.
Reply 73
I’ve got 9s all year with geography so far so I can help
Original post by Fsm1
Reply 74
Original post by IsMo987
Hey how do you revise for science,English,maths

Original post by Heva10

I have a geography exam today and I'm so scared so any advice would be amazing!

Science- watch videos on the topics and make sure you UNDERSTAND the topic and then learn any key information using flashcards. I then do practice questions to test myself

English- for language i found reading really helps
And for literature i get my friends to test me on key quotes by blanking out key words. It really helps to look at grade 9 answers to see the amount and depth of analysis needed

Maths- i bought the Corbett maths flashcards and then the questions on every topic. This was really time consuming so at this point i'd say make a list of all the topics you struggle with in maths and the topics that appear a lot (mean from a table, cumulative frequency, histograms, simultaneous equations, ect) and watch videos on these topics and then do exam questions and mark them

Hope this was helpful
Original post by Heva10

Any advice please?
Does anyone know where I can fine grade 9 science resources
Hello everyone!

Lately I’ve been trying to figure out the best strategy to get a grade 9 in every subject, so I’d like to share what I’ve discovered and the best strategy to boost my grades from 7 and 8s to straight 9s. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments!

Timetables don’t work for everyone including myself, so I’ve started off by making a loose one, with goals rather than strict deadlines. I’ve given myself 2 hours of revision to complete every day until 7pm, and if I fail that then it has to be 3 by the time I go to bed, this gives me motivation to actually study. On weekends, I can choose to study 3 hours on Saturday or 4 hours on Sunday, again to motivate me to get it done earlier.

Once I worked out my basic schedule, I began figuring out my weakest areas in each subject, and came to the conclusion I need to spend most of my time on Maths, Sciences and History. I’m currently working at a grade 7 in all of these, but they are the most important subjects to me so I should be at an 8 or 9 by now.

This is the most important part: I spent countless hours figuring out where I went right and wrong in terms of revision, and everything always ended up at 3 main points. I’ll summarise them below:

1. SAVE TIME: Elon Musk’s recent letter to employees revealed his best strategies to improve work performance, and it could all be summarised to time saving. You don’t need to revise as much if you’re working much more efficiently. Figure out where you’re wasting time, and organise your revision. I’ve been using Revisely to revise lately and its helped my revision so much just by saving my time.

2. REMOVE DISTRACTIONS: You’re not gonna want to hear this, but you gotta delete instagram, snapchat etc. off of your phone for now. You can redownload them at any time of course, but that takes more time and thought as you’re more than 3 seconds away from scrolling through that feed or those stories. Remove all other distractions in your home, on your phone and your computer as well as it should be a huge help.

3. USE GOOD RESOURCES: Choosing a textbook is vitally important and teachers never emphasise this, they just recommend one, which is quite often terrible. I’d go to a library or rent a couple from amazon to figure out which one works best for you before settling down. The internet has also helped me tremendously with websites like bitesize and revisely - make sure you use these along side textbooks!

Thanks for your time and I really hope this helps, for advice about a specific subject, please ask down below and I’ll see if I can help!

this advice is amazing thanks
Reply 78
Original post by Hiro2468
Any advice, please?

Okay, so this is what I do for geography.
Firstly, I start my revision by revising the info without the case study. so I usually time myself for about 6 mins and blurt out everything I know about a topic like e.g. tectonic hazards all the types of hazards and the factors then affect a country's ability to cope with a hazard etc. Then after the 6 minutes of blurting, I open my CGP revision guide and in a different coloured gap, i fill in all the gaps in my knowledge. After, i usually blurt again to make sure the info has gone into my head and then attack exam questions that my teacher has given me in the past or the CGP revision guide workbook. By then, I would have identified which key bits could come up as 6 or 9 markers and I would make a rough plan for them making, sure I cover each point in the briefest from I can.

After knowing the information, revising the case studies become easier as you can usually apply the factors you've learnt earlier and just stick in some facts and figures; like for tectonic hazards, the primary effects and immediate responses for volcanoes and earthquakes are usually the same. the only difference is that they would usually affect a place differently depending on their wealth, location etc. sometimes, the case study isn't easy to remember so in those cases, I would make an A4 poster bullet pointing the main points then adding a diagram, as I find visuals make it easier to revise.

For physical geography, I memorise the landform and processes through flashcards and then I memorise the answers from the mark scheme as they explain the processes sufficiently.
I do AQA geography so its quite easy to get a grade 9 if you use the cgp revsion guide and workbook. Youtube is also a very good place so primrose kitten is good: https://youtu.be/79XTp12K_44 and Lancey are extremely helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysPP4la2KF0.
if anyone has any more questions, feel free to message me.
Anyone have any tips on how to get a 8/9 in french

Quick Reply

Latest