1.4 neurophil count? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I had a blood test for something unrelated however my neurophil count was 1.4...
How bad is this? Is this a sign of Leukemia
Apachecow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Without units and a reference range it's meaningless
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Apachecow)
Without units and a reference range it's meaningless
1400 is the ANC I think
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Neutrophillia can be caused by a whole host of things, 99.99% of them less dramatic than leukaemia. Focussing on a single result without looking at the whole picture is unhelpful. Your doctor has the information; he's the person to speak to.
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Isn't leukemia high WBC? If anything it would be a sign of lymphoma, but it's hardly that low. Feeling ill in general, OP?

* Edit: FWIW: my most recent neutrophil count was 2.4 (2-7.5 range) with a 6.1 WBC count (3-10). No issue.
Last edited by sknudson; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
Neutrophillia can be caused by a whole host of things, 99.99% of them less dramatic than leukaemia. Focussing on a single result without looking at the whole picture is unhelpful. Your doctor has the information; he's the person to speak to.
You’re right, thank you! I was just concerned after discovering the normal range is 1.5-8 and my count is really on the low end. I have another test scheduled so hopefully that will paint a better picture
(Original post by sknudson)
Isn't leukemia high WBC? If anything it would be a sign of lymphoma, but it's hardly that low. Feeling ill in general, OP?

* Edit: FWIW: my most recent neutrophil count was 2.4 (2-7.5 range) with a 6.1 WBC count (3-10). No issue.
I remember having a cold about a week prior to the blood test, I don’t know if that’s of any relevance. But in general I would say I probably have a weak immune system as there was a period where I had tonsillitis every couple of months. It lasted about a week each time but I haven’t had it in almost a year
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I remember having a cold about a week prior to the blood test, I don’t know if that’s of any relevance. But in general I would say I probably have a weak immune system as there was a period where I had tonsillitis every couple of months. It lasted about a week each time but I haven’t had it in almost a year
Were your lymphocytes also on the lower side of normal? That would say you're getting over a cold.
Last edited by sknudson; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Were your lymphocytes on the higher side of normal? That would say you're getting over a cold.
I’m not sure as my GP only mentioned my neutrophil count as being low, but she did ask me if I had a cold but I said no as I had forgotten that i did
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m not sure as my GP only mentioned my neutrophil count as being low, but she did ask me if I had a cold but I said no as I had forgotten that i did
It's probably nothing clinically significant then. I'm sure your GP would've said something.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Repeat blood test came back. My neutrophil count is now normal along with everything else apart from my globular count which is 3.7. I know this is just slightly over normal but I can’t help but worry. Have to do another test in a month
Anonymous #1
Repeat blood test came back. My neutrophil count is now normal along with everything else apart from my globular count which is 3.7. I know this is just slightly over normal but I can’t help but worry. Have to do another test in a month
Globulin*
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you had hayfever lately? That'll do it. Were your basophils elevated in range as well?
Anonymous #1
Have you had hayfever lately? That'll do it. Were your basophils elevated in range as well?
I don’t suffer from hay fever, and no I dont think so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.7%
The paper was reasonable (1075)
47.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (503)
22.13%
It was TERRIBLE (270)
11.88%

Watched Threads