The Student Room Group

Gcse german speaking

Okay so my gcse german speaking test is next Tuesday (7th) and I’m not exactly sure how to revise. For most of year 10 my german teacher was ill so we didn’t really have her (but we got a new teacher in January of this year), so I’d not done a mock speaking test before he had us do one in February. I winged it and honestly I did awfully. So, any tips/ anything I should know? And what’s the best way to learn my conversation answers?

Side note: I can actually do german quite well, over reading, writing and listening I managed to get a band 7, but my last speaking test dragged my overall grade down to a 6.
Original post by yasmin03
Okay so my gcse german speaking test is next Tuesday (7th) and I’m not exactly sure how to revise. For most of year 10 my german teacher was ill so we didn’t really have her (but we got a new teacher in January of this year), so I’d not done a mock speaking test before he had us do one in February. I winged it and honestly I did awfully. So, any tips/ anything I should know? And what’s the best way to learn my conversation answers?

Side note: I can actually do german quite well, over reading, writing and listening I managed to get a band 7, but my last speaking test dragged my overall grade down to a 6.

Honestly I didn't revise for my GCSE speaking exams, but now I'm doing a language at uni so this is how I revise for speaking exams. Usually, I split my revision into topics and make mind maps of the kind of vocab and verbs I'd need for each one of those topics. Then I highlight and make flashcards of the words I don't know that well. Then I'll randomly pick a topic and write down as many words as I can think of within a time limit (2-3mins is how long I give myself) so that when I'm asked a specific topic I know I'll be able to think of the words I'll need. If you're trying to learn set answers, flashcards are probably the best way to go. Write a question on one side and an answer on the other, then just keep going through them until you know them all. My biggest tip is to be as relaxed as possible! If you can chill out and enjoy the exam then you'll be able to give your best answers.
Reply 2
Original post by umbrellala
Honestly I didn't revise for my GCSE speaking exams, but now I'm doing a language at uni so this is how I revise for speaking exams. Usually, I split my revision into topics and make mind maps of the kind of vocab and verbs I'd need for each one of those topics. Then I highlight and make flashcards of the words I don't know that well. Then I'll randomly pick a topic and write down as many words as I can think of within a time limit (2-3mins is how long I give myself) so that when I'm asked a specific topic I know I'll be able to think of the words I'll need. If you're trying to learn set answers, flashcards are probably the best way to go. Write a question on one side and an answer on the other, then just keep going through them until you know them all. My biggest tip is to be as relaxed as possible! If you can chill out and enjoy the exam then you'll be able to give your best answers.

Thank you, I’ll try this out :smile:
Reply 3
@umbrellala I tried this out and it really helped, thank you! My speaking test went really well and my teacher even commented on how well-prepared I was. Thank you!
Original post by yasmin03
@umbrellala I tried this out and it really helped, thank you! My speaking test went really well and my teacher even commented on how well-prepared I was. Thank you!

No problem, I'm glad it went well!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending