The Student Room Group

Laptop for simple tasks under £200.

I require a laptop for simple tasks such as making notes for my A-Levels, browsing, internet shopping, Skype, storage for a lot of photos and relatively light to carry around.

I'm not looking for anything fancy.

Any recommendations, preferably from people who have actually used the recommended laptop would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

that's quite a low price limit, perfect for a decent Chromebook from PC World (ASUS or ACER for ex.) but in the Chromebook system all documents are stored in Google documents cloud. Does work quite well, pretty sure there's no skype - might be a Google equivalent?, or use your phone video service.

so a cheapo PC, (avoiding supermarket melters - cheap no-names that don't work after 6 months) could be the Windows Cloud equivalent of a Chromebook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Stream-11-ah005na-11-6-Laptop/dp/B07F6CD958/ £199 reduced to £145 (AMZN used just for example, I don't recommend them over any other outlet) This has a tiny processor, just enough RAM to load webpages and a tiny 32GB memory card, with annual RENTAL of 1TB cloud and Office 365 (maybe there's a student deal for these somewhere)

at least this is a starting point, I'd say that Chromebook cloud based is more reliable than Windows Cloud, as MS did lose user data earlier this year and Win10 is evolving without that much beta-testing. ChromeOS based on Linux, is a lot more resilient.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I require a laptop for simple tasks such as making notes for my A-Levels, browsing, internet shopping, Skype, storage for a lot of photos and relatively light to carry around.

Any recommendations, preferably from people who have actually used the recommended laptop would be greatly appreciated.

Probably a Chromebook, any Windows options in the price range will be pretty terrible.
or can help :smile:
Reply 4
I don't totally agree you with you on this Acsel, old hardware, circa 2014/2015 Gen CPU and hardware is still very capable of running todays software.
For doing simple tasks, social, entertainment using old hardware from those years is still more than capable. Yes, there is a minimum spec it would have to be i.e. 4GB RAM preferably 8GB, 64GB/128GB SSD and a Core i5 would be enough for what it would asked to do.

For example a used Dell Latitude E7240 12.5" Core i5 4th Gen with 8GB running windows 10 can be had for £200, and be much better than a Chromebook around the same price.

I would certainly avoid getting a HP Stream even brand new one's. Slow CPU's, awful screen, limited RAM
TheNamesBond. Check out what I've written on this subject in post #7 in this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5920486

From what you've said, something like a Lenovo T450 or T460 off ebay for £150ish would be great for your needs.

I cannot stress highly enough how easy a task it is for the computer hardware to run browsing (including Internet shopping), Skype, photo storage applications. Even 8 year old laptops give instantaneous response for these tasks. A Lenovo T450 is overkill for these tasks.

I have extensive experience of Lenovo T450's as well as a number of other laptops from Lenovo, Dell and HP.

The T450's are midway in weight and portability between a 15" laptop and a Lenovo x1 Carbon. If you hold a T450 with the 9 cell battery and then hold an X1 Carbon (or Dell XPS 13), you will notice that the Carbon is lighter. But the difference isn't so great that it'd be a bid deal for any young fit able bodied person. Especially when you add in the weight of the power supply and rucksack or laptop bag. If you were a 90 year old 7 stone grandmother, I'd suggest an x1 Carbon.

If the laptop comes with a 256 GB SSD hard drive, see how you go for storage space for your photos. If it comes with a mechanical hard drive or a 128 GB hard drive, it'd be a good idea to buy a 480 GB SSD for £50.

Do not buy a Chromebook, as westty has already quite rightly pointed out. They are tragically feeble computing devices.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
TheNamesBond. Check out what I've written on this subject in post #7 in this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5920486

From what you've said, something like a Lenovo T450 or T460 off ebay for £150ish would be great for your needs.

I cannot stress highly enough how easy a task it is for the computer hardware to run browsing (including Internet shopping), Skype, photo storage applications. Even 8 year old laptops give instantaneous response for these tasks. A Lenovo T450 is overkill for these tasks.

I have extensive experience of Lenovo T450's as well as a number of other laptops from Lenovo, Dell and HP.

The T450's are midway in weight and portability between a 15" laptop and a Lenovo x1 Carbon. If you hold a T450 with the 9 cell battery and then hold an X1 Carbon (or Dell XPS 13), you will notice that the Carbon is lighter. But the difference isn't so great that it'd be a bid deal for any young fit able bodied person. Especially when you add in the weight of the power supply and rucksack or laptop bag. If you were a 90 year old 7 stone grandmother, I'd suggest an x1 Carbon.

If the laptop comes with a 256 GB SSD hard drive, see how you go for storage space for your photos. If it comes with a mechanical hard drive or a 128 GB hard drive, it'd be a good idea to buy a 480 GB SSD for £50.

Do not buy a Chromebook, as westty has already quite rightly pointed out. They are tragically feeble computing devices.

I'd be willing to spring an extra 150.

What about this.

Lenovo IdeaPad 320 15.6" HD Notebook - (Platinum Grey) (Intel Pentium Gold 2.3GHz (4415U), 4GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Windows 10 Home) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792TCTFL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tavZCbN3EDTS0

What about this.

Lenovo IdeaPad 320 15.6" HD Notebook - (Platinum Grey) (Intel Pentium Gold 2.3GHz (4415U), 4GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Windows 10 Home) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792TCTFL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tavZCbN3EDTS0

For £350 you should be looking for a Core i3 8130U or Ryzen 3 2200U processor, both for improved day to day performance and the overall longevity of the laptop. This one is pretty great for the top end of your budget, thin and light with a full HD display, but you can find cheaper options for £300-£320 you can find options with more conventional "768p" displays or chunkier bodies.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-cm0597sa-14-amd-ryzen-3-laptop-128-gb-ssd-grey-10188774-pdt.html

What about this.

Compared to a Lenovo T450, it has a bigger screen, which is good and bad. Good for having a larger screen to look at. Bad for portability.

The battery only has 40 whr, compared to a T450 with the 9 cell battery option having 95 whr.

Some T450's come with 4GB RAM, many come with 8 GB.
The CPU is a bit slower than what you'd get in a T450.
The hard drive has more capacity but is much slower for booting up and loading large applications than the corporate standard 256 GB SSD in the T450. You could always take the 2TB drive out of the Ideapad 320 and replace it with an SSD for about £40.

Windows 10 Home. I'd take that off straight away and put Windows 10 Pro on. But then I'd instantly rebuild any laptop I bought as I've not come across any sellers so far that do the sort of lean and fast software builds that I like.

With that Ideapad 320 you're paying more money for a worse laptop. It therefore makes no sense whatsoever to me to buy one.

For the sort of spec you get with that Ideapad 320, it would be OK for your very simple and easy (from the computer's point of view) requirements. However, that's the sort of specifcation you could get in a free laptop, give or take a bit.
Compared to a Lenovo T450, it has a bigger screen, which is good and bad. Good for having a larger screen to look at. Bad for portability.

The battery only has 40 whr, compared to a T450 with the 9 cell battery option having 95 whr.

Some T450's come with 4GB RAM, many come with 8 GB.
The CPU is a bit slower than what you'd get in a T450.
The hard drive has more capacity but is much slower for booting up and loading large applications than the corporate standard 256 GB SSD in the T450. You could always take the 2TB drive out of the Ideapad 320 and replace it with an SSD for about £40.

Windows 10 Home. I'd take that off straight away and put Windows 10 Pro on. But then I'd instantly rebuild any laptop I bought as I've not come across any sellers so far that do the sort of lean and fast software builds that I like.

With that Ideapad 320 you're paying more money for a worse laptop. It therefore makes no sense whatsoever to me to buy one.

For the sort of spec you get with that Ideapad 320, it would be OK for your very simple and easy (from the computer's point of view) requirements. However, that's the sort of specifcation you could get in a free laptop, give or take a bit.

Ok so just so I'm sure, you're talking about this laptop, correct?

Lenovo Thinkpad T450 Laptop, I5-5300U, 2.3GHZ, 500GB SATA Drive, 8GB RAM, With Windows 10 Professional (Renewed) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N6MZ6RX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kTyZCbK4GMGPF
Right laptop, wrong price and wrong place to buy it.

This, if it sells for the right amount. BTW allow about £30 to upgrade this example to the 9 cell option
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T450-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-5300U-2-30GHz-8GB-240-SSD-2Xbattery/254217120364?hash=item3b30856a6c:g:WlMAAOSwhW5cninj&frcectupt=true

Or this, and again allow £30 for a the battery upgrade.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T450-Core-i5-5300U-2-30GHz-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Win-10-Pro/173890065526?hash=item287ca7d476:g:s-smilie:4UAAOSwJzpcyXb~

Or this IF it sells for the right price (another one to allow £30 for the battery upgrade)
[url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460-Laptop-New-NO-RESERVE/303141976486?epid=4014104853&hash=item4694ab79a6:g[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]ssAAOSw83ZcyyDd&frcectupt=true]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460-Laptop-New-NO-RESERVE/303141976486?epid=4014104853&hash=item4694ab79a6:g:h:ssAAOSw83ZcyyDd&frcectupt=true
Right laptop, wrong price and wrong place to buy it.

This, if it sells for the right amount. BTW allow about £30 to upgrade this example to the 9 cell option
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T450-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-5300U-2-30GHz-8GB-240-SSD-2Xbattery/254217120364?hash=item3b30856a6c:g:WlMAAOSwhW5cninj&frcectupt=true

Or this, and again allow £30 for a the battery upgrade.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T450-Core-i5-5300U-2-30GHz-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Win-10-Pro/173890065526?hash=item287ca7d476:g:s-smilie:4UAAOSwJzpcyXb~

Or this IF it sells for the right price (another one to allow £30 for the battery upgrade)
[url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460-Laptop-New-NO-RESERVE/303141976486?epid=4014104853&hash=item4694ab79a6:g[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]ssAAOSw83ZcyyDd&frcectupt=true]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460-Laptop-New-NO-RESERVE/303141976486?epid=4014104853&hash=item4694ab79a6:g:h:ssAAOSw83ZcyyDd&frcectupt=true

Why so cheap? Seems insane that Amazon would sell near 400 when I could get it for less than 100.

Btw what does 'renewed' and 'seller refurbished' mean?

I get the idea of what the latter means but I want to be sure.
(edited 4 years ago)
Is there an option of a laptop without an OS which you can install Linux on?
Why so cheap? Seems insane that Amazon would sell near 400 when I could get it for less than 100.

Btw what does 'renewed' and 'seller refurbished' mean?

I get the idea of what the latter means but I want to be sure.

It's an ebay auction. I suspect the final selling price will be more than £100. You can use the advanced search feature in ebay to see what any particular make and model of laptop has been selling for.

But yeah, you're right about the Amazon seller at £350 and the ebay buy it now seller at £170. The insane bit is anyone buying off Amazon when they can buy off ebay. As I said, buy used business laptops off ebay. Or possibly, even better, get some contacts in IT departments, supporting large organisations and see what they're prepared to supply you with.

Renewed and seller refurbished are no big deal. They may just mean that the seller has run the built in diagnostics, which the laptop has passed, and that they used a vacuum cleaner on it, wiped the case with some furniture polish and the screen with some screen cleaner. And removed any user applied stickers from it, such as asset barcode stickers. All of which you could do yourself in a few minutes with any laptop that you acquire.

Business laptops are commodity items. They are bought by the hundreds or by the thousands. And disposed of by the hundreds or thousands.

Corporate buyers were paying Lenovo about £500 per T450 laptop with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 9 cell high capacity batteries when they were brand new. Lenovo were very price competitive with this model. It's only fair that this price competitiveness should be reflected in what they sell for used on ebay.
Original post by CuriosityYay
Is there an option of a laptop without an OS which you can install Linux on?

Every PC and laptop that I've ever seen can have Linux installed on it.

I recently bought a used HP 800 G2 business desktop for £140 off ebay. It came with nothing installed on it. I fitted a spare SSD inside it and installed a Server version of Linux on it with a few minutes of my time. If it had come with Windoze on it, it would have made no difference.

Linux is great for techie type users.

Think of any laptop hardware as a great big sandpit, in which you can draw any patterns that you want on it. You can even have giant sandpit sized stamps that put an instant pattern onto it. And if the pattern goes wrong you just rake over it and create a new pattern, or use your stamp to obliterate everything and recreate your original pattern.
It's an ebay auction. I suspect the final selling price will be more than £100. You can use the advanced search feature in ebay to see what any particular make and model of laptop has been selling for.

But yeah, you're right about the Amazon seller at £350 and the ebay buy it now seller at £170. The insane bit is anyone buying off Amazon when they can buy off ebay. As I said, buy used business laptops off ebay. Or possibly, even better, get some contacts in IT departments, supporting large organisations and see what they're prepared to supply you with.

Renewed and seller refurbished are no big deal. They may just mean that the seller has run the built in diagnostics, which the laptop has passed, and that they used a vacuum cleaner on it, wiped the case with some furniture polish and the screen with some screen cleaner. And removed any user applied stickers from it, such as asset barcode stickers. All of which you could do yourself in a few minutes with any laptop that you acquire.

Business laptops are commodity items. They are bought by the hundreds or by the thousands. And disposed of by the hundreds or thousands.

Corporate buyers were paying Lenovo about £500 per T450 laptop with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 9 cell high capacity batteries when they were brand new. Lenovo were very price competitive with this model. It's only fair that this price competitiveness should be reflected in what they sell for used on ebay.

Thanks for the input, what do you think of what has recommend compared to what you recommend, I hear it's a better option for a bit more money, curious to hear your side.

Thanks for the recommendation and the info, very helpful :borat:
(edited 4 years ago)

Because you want to make notes I recommend a lenovo thinkpad because the typing experience is like no other laptop, and a decent second hand should come in under £200.
Every PC and laptop that I've ever seen can have Linux installed on it.

I recently bought a used HP 800 G2 business desktop for £140 off ebay. It came with nothing installed on it. I fitted a spare SSD inside it and installed a Server version of Linux on it with a few minutes of my time. If it had come with Windoze on it, it would have made no difference.

Linux is great for techie type users.

Think of any laptop hardware as a great big sandpit, in which you can draw any patterns that you want on it. You can even have giant sandpit sized stamps that put an instant pattern onto it. And if the pattern goes wrong you just rake over it and create a new pattern, or use your stamp to obliterate everything and recreate your original pattern.

The point is that it is cheaper without windows and Linux is free.

I am not asking for myself, it is a suggestion for the OP
Original post by CuriosityYay
The point is that it is cheaper without windows and Linux is free.

I am not asking for myself, it is a suggestion for the OP

Lenovo T450's, as business laptops came with Windows 10 preloaded. The Windows 10 Pro license is embedded in the Bios of the laptop.
Therefore Windows 10 Pro is free with Lenovo T450's.

Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro is easy on Lenovo T450's, as well as every other business laptop that came with Windows 10 pre-loaded. When you're running the Windows 10 Pro install off your USB stick, it automatically detects the license in the Bios.

Look for the Windows sticker on the laptop. Use Google to find out what the sticker looks like. If it has that it has the license in the Bios.

BTW, I consider Windows 10 Home as a bit of a joke. It's a gimped version of Windows 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Pro has enough annoying or disappointing features as it is, without adding the additional ones that you get with Windows 10 Home.

There are other highly valid reasons apart from price why someone might want to install Linux, even if their PC comes with Windows 10 bundled in for "free".
These reasons are probably best discussed in a separate thread, to avoid taking this one too far off topic.
(edited 4 years ago)
There are other highly valid reasons apart from price why someone might want to install Linux, even if their PC comes with Windows 10 bundled in for "free".

That is the point the price for the laptop is actual laptop price + windows 10 license

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending