The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What's the best time to book private student halls?

I start my graduate course in September 2019. Was wondering what would be the ideal time to apply for private student halls like Sheffield 3, considering that I need to pay a deposit for my room held at uni accomodation by July.
3 weeks after enrolling when people who are dropping out will pay your first few months rent in order to get out of their contract
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
I don't quite understand. Do you mean in October?
Original post by PQ
3 weeks after enrolling when people who are dropping out will pay your first few months rent in order to get out of their contract
Original post by Anonymous
I don't quite understand. Do you mean in October?

Yes - in October students will pay you to take their room and contract from them.
Hi, our contracts don't start until 15th September 2019, we are nearly booked up.

I wouldn't leave applying to halls much longer as you will find that a lot of the accommodation is already booked up. Be sure to know that you are booking the right accommodation for you prior to signing. PM us if you require any further information or advise.
Original post by PQ
Yes - in October students will pay you to take their room and contract from them.
Reply 5
Where to stay till then though? I'm an international student starting at the uni in September 2019 .

Spoiler

Original post by PQ
Original post by BathLaneLeicester
Hi, our contracts don't start until 15th September 2019, we are nearly booked up.

I wouldn't leave applying to halls much longer as you will find that a lot of the accommodation is already booked up. Be sure to know that you are booking the right accommodation for you prior to signing. PM us if you require any further information or advise.

Why are you pressure selling to someone posting in the University of Sheffield forum?

Leicester to Sheffield is quite the commute!
Where to stay till then though? I'm an international student starting at the uni in September 2019 .

Spoiler

Can't you get a room in university halls?
I start my graduate course in September 2019. Was wondering what would be the ideal time to apply for private student halls like Sheffield 3, considering that I need to pay a deposit for my room held at uni accomodation by July.

I don't understand your situation.

If you have a room in uni accomodation (subject to paying the deposit by July), why do you also need a room in private halls.

Most people only book a room in private halls if they can't get into uni accomodation since private halls are normally more expensive and less convenient.
Reply 9
As far as what I saw online, the private halls seem to be cheaper than uni accom at Sheffield (unless there are hidden charges not disclosed online?). So I have the uni accom reserved without pay for now in case I am not able to secure a room in a private student hall.
Original post by harrysbar
I don't understand your situation.

If you have a room in uni accomodation (subject to paying the deposit by July), why do you also need a room in private halls.

Most people only book a room in private halls if they can't get into uni accomodation since private halls are normally more expensive and less convenient.
As far as what I saw online, the private halls seem to be cheaper than uni accom at Sheffield (unless there are hidden charges not disclosed online?). So I have the uni accom reserved without pay for now in case I am not able to secure a room in a private student hall.

The uni accommodation is more expensive because it comes with the uni halls experience which will almost certainly kick start a lot of good experiences and your friendship groups for the rest of your time at the university. In private halls things won't be like that, most people will be later year students, many will be quieter or cliquey international students, and often people will know each other already, none of which are the most conducive for a good first year experience.
Hey! If you're interested in Sheffield 3, let me know ASAP as I need someone to take over my tenancy. I'm no longer attending the University :frown: but i would have loved to have stayed there....

Here are all the details. Let me know if you're keen and we can chat over email

So, I chose Sheffield 3 because he location is pretty good (I didn't want to be stuck on a busy campus) plus it’s still super close to the Uni of Sheffield campus anyway (10 mins walk) as well a Tesco (5 mins) gym (10 mins), newsagents, pubs and the tram stop Shalesmoore is directly outside the accommodation giving you easy access across Sheffield and direct route to Meadowhall shopping centre and Valley Centertainment.

Here’s a link to the Student Roost website for further details: https://www.studentroost.co.uk/accommodation/sheffield/sheffield-3 (it says it's fully booked, but you wouldn't be on a waiting list as you'll just take over my place).

Move in date: 14th September 2019
End date: 5th September 2020
Contract length: 51 weeks
Room type: Ensuite room (sorry, it’s girls only!)
Total cost for 51 weeks: £5,559.00 (rent is due on the 1st of every month). Works out roughly 99 GBP a week including ALL bills.

Room facilities:
- Single bed with underbed storage
- Wardrobe and chest of drawers provided in room
- Desk and chair with full length mirror
- Ensuite bathroom with toilet, basin and shower
- Communal kitchen and living space.
There’s also free high speed 100Mbps WiFi throughout the building and all utility bills are included, free contents insurance and 24-hour security service.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending