phoebeioelara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
When I apply for a post-grad loan (starting Sept. 2019) am I able to apply for any other loans, such as maintenance or anything like that? I can only find information for DSA. In my undergrad I was given maintenance and I think a bursary too - unless they're the same thing? I can't remember - was two years ago.
Thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by phoebeioelara)
When I apply for a post-grad loan (starting Sept. 2019) am I able to apply for any other loans, such as maintenance or anything like that? I can only find information for DSA. In my undergrad I was given maintenance and I think a bursary too - unless they're the same thing? I can't remember - was two years ago.
Thanks!
The postgraduate loan is a single non-means tested loan that you can choose to spend as you wish (on fees, living costs or both). You would need to ask your university about any scholarships or bursaries available.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/stu...ts-available-0
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks!
Hi Phoebe,

I can second what PQ advised you of. The Postgraduate Loan is a contributory loan that is paid to you directly. You would decide on how to spend it. Scholarships and bursaries are administered by the university so I would refer you back to them for further details.

Regards,
Nihad
phoebeioelara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi Nihad,

Thanks for your reply! I have been emailing the money support unit at the university but they were unaware of any maintenance grant/loan despite it being on the page from the website they had directed me to. They said it's all done through Student Finance but when I applied for the PG loan there wasn't an option for any grants other than DSA which I wasn't keen on taking as I've only dyspraxia. Will I be told whether I'm entitled to a maintenance loan once my PG loan application is finished/approved? I can't remember what the process is like because it was 2014 the last/first time I applied for finance lol. Otherwise, how do I go about acquiring another form of loan/grant? Will it have to be through the uni instead of SF?

Many thanks,
Phoebe

(Original post by SFE Nihad)
Hi Phoebe,

I can second what PQ advised you of. The Postgraduate Loan is a contributory loan that is paid to you directly. You would decide on how to spend it. Scholarships and bursaries are administered by the university so I would refer you back to them for further details.

Regards,
Nihad
SFE Dean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi Nihad,

Thanks for your reply! I have been emailing the money support unit at the university but they were unaware of any maintenance grant/loan despite it being on the page from the website they had directed me to. They said it's all done through Student Finance but when I applied for the PG loan there wasn't an option for any grants other than DSA which I wasn't keen on taking as I've only dyspraxia. Will I be told whether I'm entitled to a maintenance loan once my PG loan application is finished/approved? I can't remember what the process is like because it was 2014 the last/first time I applied for finance lol. Otherwise, how do I go about acquiring another form of loan/grant? Will it have to be through the uni instead of SF?

Many thanks,
Phoebe

(Original post by SFE Nihad)
Hello Phoebe,

We don’t have any connection with offering any other support apart from a Postgraduate Loan for eligible courses and applicants.

There are exception postgraduate courses that may qualify for undergraduate funding. Do you have a link to your course or can you provide your full course details - course name and qualification, start month of each academic year, course length in years and the name of your university?

Warm Regards, Dean.
phoebeioelara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hiya Dean,

Thanks for the reply!
I recently received an email from the money advice people at the university and they have informed me that there are no other forms of additional postgraduate funding/loans. It's just that the website had said that there are loans available but now because there isn't I'm a bit stumped as I was kinda relying/hoping on being granted one for the sake of affording everything. I am applying for funding/grants from outside SF and uni (the uni has sent me a few links to other support) so I'm hoping something comes through with those.

The course is Law and Criminology MA (full-time one year) Sept 2019 Bangor University.

Many thanks,
Phoebe

(Original post by SFE Dean)
Hello Phoebe,

We don’t have any connection with offering any other support apart from a Postgraduate Loan for eligible courses and applicants.

There are exception postgraduate courses that may qualify for undergraduate funding. Do you have a link to your course or can you provide your full course details - course name and qualification, start month of each academic year, course length in years and the name of your university?

Warm Regards, Dean.
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hiya Dean,

Thanks for the reply!
I recently received an email from the money advice people at the university and they have informed me that there are no other forms of additional postgraduate funding/loans. It's just that the website had said that there are loans available but now because there isn't I'm a bit stumped as I was kinda relying/hoping on being granted one for the sake of affording everything. I am applying for funding/grants from outside SF and uni (the uni has sent me a few links to other support) so I'm hoping something comes through with those.

The course is Law and Criminology MA (full-time one year) Sept 2019 Bangor University.

Many thanks,
Phoebe
Hi Phoebe,

You aren't eligible for any other form of funding apart from the contributory loan of £10906. This is standardised and all eligible students will receive the same amount for a Master's Loan. I'm unsure what you saw on the website as there aren't any other loans and the website is also updated accordingly. Can you please show us what the website says exactly and where can this be found so we can review it?

Regards,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads