The Student Room Group

Local Government Elections - 2nd May: Are you voting?

Are you registered to vote in the Local Government Elections? If so - voting is today!

Here's some info for you on what's happening and when you can vote :smile:

Elections are being held for 248 English councils, six mayors and all 11 councils in Northern Ireland. This is your chance to have your say on what's happening in your local area!

Councillors have an important say in decisions that affect your day to day life. This includes things like how services such as schools, community centers, parks and rubbish collection are run.

The political party with the highest number of Councillors elected usually gets to control the council.

Firstly, can I vote?

If you are over 18, registered to vote and you are either a British citizen, qualifying Commonwealth citizen or an EU resident in the UK, you can vote.

What time can I vote?

Polls open at 7am and close at 10pm. Check on your polling card to see where your nearest polling station is, or use this website.

How many councils are taking part?

This is the biggest set of local elections in England's four-year electoral cycle, with more than 8,400 seats being contested. A further 462 seats are up for grabs in Northern Ireland.

When will we find out the results?

Votes will be counted overnight, with many votes expected in the early hours of the morning - the earliest could be midnight.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Am I voting? Nope, cannot be bothered.
Yes I am, heading out to do so now in fact.
Reply 3
Yes! Once I finish work at 7 tonight :blow:
Voted earlier this morning, they've changed all the boundaries round so was strange to vote for 3 people on one ballot for the first time.
I did a postal vote last week.
No, I don't care about this area and cba to walk two miles just to go and vote. Am only here for another year for uni then can make a quick escape hopefully
Original post by CoolCavy
No, I don't care about this area and cba to walk two miles just to go and vote. Am only here for another year for uni then can make a quick escape hopefully

That's the right mentality :smile:
Original post by Andrew97
Yes I am, heading out to do so now in fact.

Conservatives?
will head out to vote shortly after I get some revision done :yy:
Original post by thestudent33
Conservatives?

Yep. For a number of reasons.

1) they will smash it anyway
2) they are doing a decent job, don’t change what works
3) they are the only ones who tired to get my vote (door knocking)
Cos I live on the edge of a forest up a big hill.
Labour councillor is gonna win by 2k votes. Would win by 1.999k votes had I voted.
Voting has now closed.

Voted Tory as ever.
First wards are declaring now, no change.
Tories have defeated Labour’s Westminster candidate in Swindon, a Westminster marginal.

Lab are down 14% in Sunderland so far.

Tories will still do badly but Corbyn might not be smiling in the morning.
Labour obviously. My old biology teacher as well.
Reply 17
Voted for one Independent guy, who I liked.

Gave the other votes to two Conservatives because they were the only ones who'd made any kind of effort to engage with people, or do any campaigning. Didn't even know there were Labour or Lib Dem candidates until I was given the ballot paper...
Comments from Curtice were interesting, so far he can’t see much of a swing to Lab and both parties dropping vote share.

Turnout near average so Tories seem to have turned out.
It's early but it doesn't look like a bad night for the Tories

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending