The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Siaa
I think a silly question, but may I please know if we can try for clearing if we achieved AAB on the redult day ( with no WAMS/scholar eligibility) ?

You can try but I think your chances are 0 considering how many people will be calling up with AAA and above. I doubt they’d consider someone who doesn’t meet the application criteria
Original post by Siaa
I think a silly question, but may I please know if we can try for clearing if we achieved AAB on the redult day ( with no WAMS/scholar eligibility) ?

There’s no harm in trying. Sometimes in results day the uni you firmed might accept you even if you didn’t get your offer. I know people who achieved AAB and were accepted by their uni
Hey just wanted to know where you found out about Lancaster :smile:
Original post by San 5789
Thanks @ med dad for all your info.

My son asked his teachers at school who has said on similar lines-
For clearing - if you accept bio med offer and then withdraw on the day of your results, it will take some time to appear on track for clearing may be couple of days as well. So not sure for medicine clearing if this works as it goes like hot cakes.

For Lancaster, it is called ucas extra .
I think they will accept the applications only till April 30th. Later in May there will be interviews.
medicine courses will be not be in adjustment after the results day This is what our school said .
Sorry for late reply, i don’t follow this thread.
It was through Medic portal
Original post by student0299
Hey just wanted to know where you found out about Lancaster :smile:
Hello , (I can now say i am a current first year medic)
Some may remember my thread back in summer 2018, I have recieved quite a few DMs regarding this.
So to clear it all up and let the people know this is how you should prepare for medicine in clearing in any cycle. (also procrastinating so thought id do something beneficial for others)

First of all, dont rely on UCAS search for medicine courses in clearing, go directly on University websites, if I didnt do this I wouldnt be at University today. (Ucas search definitely doesnt include everything)
Secondly, you can start looking for courses in clearing after mid July, around the 15th and do the usual email/call to each University asking if Medicine is going into clearing. Or just to be safe have a quick skim through in the start of July on every university website on their medicine page to make sure.

Thirdly, yes all offers are given after interview, it is still just as intense competition if not even more competitive to get a place. Otherwise this will be hugely unfair.
The criteria to get an interview in clearing at each respective university is also the same as it was during that application cycle or in some cases higher.
You still need a current UKCAT score for medicine in clearing.
When it comes to the point where the University confirms that medicine is in clearing for their course, each university may have a different application process, for example some uses a form that you fill in and email back to them, and some may have a direct online application form, but in all cases you can call afterwards if you want to confirm if they got your details.
Interviews are given usually quite promptly after submitting your details e.g. a few days (but obviously this will always vary)
Offers are given in my experience around a week after (again will always vary)
And also they rank your interview score etc.. as they usually would in the normal application cycle and give offers to those with the highest scores.

FAQ:
What do you mean by boosted UKCAT?
I sat ukcat again for the next years entry but used that score for clearing too. Which happened to be higher than my original sitting for the current cycle.
How exactly do you apply for clearing?
I just said you do it via form / email or online form ...read the FAQ lol
Where on the website can you find out about clearing medicine?
The clearing page :s-smilie:
Is it a telephone interview?
NOOO It is an actual MMI get ready to travel to the University. (again that would be soo unfair if they randomly gave people telephone interviews, everything is the same, just later in the year.)
How many places are there?
Not a huge amount for example at Leicester there was 10 places for 64 interviews (data from FOI Request)
Can I sit my ukcat in the summer for clearing?
Yes, thats what I done to boost my score.
Can I apply to the same university I got rejected from in clearing?
You can give it a go but I think they will reject you again and look for someone else but I also know someone who managed to do that for keele after impressing at interview after previously being rejected so in any case always give it a go.
Can I get in with AAB?
Now.. most Universities are still looking for standard requirements of either AAA or A*AA etc.
Can I use clearing as a backup incase I miss my grades on results day?
No, refer to above.
What are your grades?
AAA Biol Chem Maths
2610 Band 2 (SGUL cut off 2590)
10A 1D* 1B
Where did you have interviews at?
St Georges
Leicester
When are interviews held?
I did them last year one on 30th July one on 3rd August 2018
Where did you get offers from?
Both
Where you now?
Leics
How should I prepare for my clearing interviews?
Use past interview questions for respective Universities,
Use Marian Colls book ( i used it and it was helpful - not advertising hehe)
Be confident in the fact you got an interview and another chance to make it.

And if that isnt enough to reassure you, heres how my Leicester interview experience was.
Night before we booked into Victoria hotel, that was our greatest mistake, yes it was near the University. But it smelt mouldy, the beds were covered in filth, the mattresses spring was gone on one side, the windows were so old and wouldnt open enough to get adequate air in. It was a very hot night and so I couldnt sleep and I was up from 12 to 7 am struggling to sleep. Regardless I got my suit on and left as soon as possible in the morning. It was fair to say I felt like I have already failed my interview as I was sleep deprived bearing in mind my family stayed over too at this hotel! Was feeling sorry for them.
During the interview I felt like I said so many things that werent right. And after the interview i thought i failed and so I sat and googled medicine in europe e.g. bulgaria as I felt like the UK is too competitive for me.
1 week later - a life changing offer.
A few days after that. Another offer!
You can do this !

Also for anyone who did get AAA and was unlucky during clearing, consider this; (copy and paste from Uni Of Leicester selection process PDF)
3.2 Candidates with achieved A levels / IB
Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs,AND have a total UKCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you tointerview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.
(edited 3 years ago)
Wow man thanks for that! Dont worry I had a pretty bad experience myself when I went for my interview in Plymouth :tongue:
Reply 46
Re read their post and they’ve already answered all of your questions.

In terms of how you apply, they may have online forms, but I called every uni and gave my UKCAT score, grades, and UCAS ID to them over the phone and they said they’d get in touch if I had an interview.
Reply 47
Will having a degree make unis more lenient with my A level grades if I apply through clearing?
Original post by Ar2202
Will having a degree make unis more lenient with my A level grades if I apply through clearing?

Mmm I think this depends.... The fact I had a degree made up for having no A level chemistry (Mol and Cell bio with 2 years uni-level chem) but I did have DDD at BTEC. I suppose the justification for your grades may have to be considered - some unis will, some won;t and again I iterate what has been said about a very high competition rate at clearing.
Reply 49
Can I please ask, anyone achieving A*AB or AAB on the result day should not try going through the ordeal of calling unis with clearing?
Do you think its not worth it, as there will be hundreds of other applicant with achieved AAA already in the queue?
Reply 50
Potentially with A*AB, but I think it’s highly unlikely that you’ll be considered if you don’t meet their basic entry requirements and I’m sure they have a huge number of applicants for a very small number of spaces.
Original post by Siaa
Can I please ask, anyone achieving A*AB or AAB on the result day should not try going through the ordeal of calling unis with clearing?
Do you think its not worth it, as there will be hundreds of other applicant with achieved AAA already in the queue?
Original post by Siaa

I would say if you got AAB it is very unlikely to get an interview through clearing.
With A*AB there is a possibility. I remember seeing on another forum a while back that someone got through clearing with that, I think.
thank you for the help, I want to ask when did you apply for clearing?
Leicester is in extra
Original post by MEQuesta
Leicester is in extra

Are you sure? I know Lancaster is?
Have a look!!
Are you sure? I know Lancaster is?
Yes just saw. They don’t accept applicants with predicted grades.

Original post by MEQuesta
Have a look!!
Ah shame
Yes just saw. They don’t accept applicants with predicted grades.
Original post by hashir123
thank you for the help, I want to ask when did you apply for clearing?

No problem.
I applied i think around 25th july.
Reply 59
Original post by Siaa

Definitely not a waste of time. One of my students last year missed their offer (AAA) with AAB but secured an MMI at Anglia Ruskin on results day and is currently a happy first year.

Latest

Trending

Trending