The Student Room Group

Lack of interest in two of my A-levels

I am currently studying maths, physics and history
I am in year 13 and I dont know what to do with my current situation. I picked maths due to an interest in physics, however shortly after choosing I realized i had little interest in those subjects. Tried changing maths but they did not let me. I am receiving bad grades on both of them and I dont think i can retake them next year. Is it possible to chose different a level subjects instead of taking the same ones? Or are there other options for me to take?
I also received an unconditional offer from royal holloway. Southampton is deemed to be better but im almost certain i wont get the grades required. Should I take the unconditional? Im worried royal holloway isnt good...
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by Misterplatypus
I am currently studying maths, physics and history
I am in year 13 and I dont know what to do with my current situation. I picked maths due to an interest in physics, however shortly after choosing I realized i had little interest in those subjects. Tried changing maths but they did not let me. I am receiving bad grades on both of them and I dont think i can retake them next year. Is it possible to chose different a level subjects instead of taking the same ones? Or are there other options for me to take?
I also received an unconditional offer from royal holloway. Southampton is deemed to be better but im almost certain i wont get the grades required. Should I take the unconditional? Im worried royal holloway isnt good...
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

If you are in Year 13 you have little choice but to stick with these subjects since the exams are coming up soon, but it concerns me that you may have applied to a maths or physics related course but have now lost all interest in those subjects? If that is the case, I don't think you should carry on with the applications since you won't enjoy the subject at uni and it's not too late to switch to a different degree subject.
Hi! So I had offers from both royal Holloway and Southampton. I went for royal Holloway in the end just because of personal preference. For me at least, there wasn’t much difference between the uni’s, (perhaps only that Southampton has a more, ‘prestigious,’ name. It all depends what you want from a uni. Do you want to be in a quieter area? What about social scene? Which course looks best for you? I don’t know where this idea that royal Holloway is bad has come from, but I can assure you it’s far from that :smile:
Original post by katie091000
Hi! So I had offers from both royal Holloway and Southampton. I went for royal Holloway in the end just because of personal preference. For me at least, there wasn’t much difference between the uni’s, (perhaps only that Southampton has a more, ‘prestigious,’ name. It all depends what you want from a uni. Do you want to be in a quieter area? What about social scene? Which course looks best for you? I don’t know where this idea that royal Holloway is bad has come from, but I can assure you it’s far from that :smile:

Hi
I decided to select holloway; it looked nicer to me than southampton(the quiet area really seems ideal)The course spec also seemed to interest me more.
thanks for the reply :smile:
What course did you apply to (as in, what subject)?
Hi
I decided to select holloway; it looked nicer to me than southampton(the quiet area really seems ideal)The course spec also seemed to interest me more.
thanks for the reply :smile:

What course did you apply for?I also hate 2/3 of my a levels.I think nothing really prepares you for a levels it is a whole new different ball game.You only really have an opinion whether you enjoy a subject or not what it is too late to change unfortunately.
Original post by harrysbar
If you are in Year 13 you have little choice but to stick with these subjects since the exams are coming up soon, but it concerns me that you may have applied to a maths or physics related course but have now lost all interest in those subjects? If that is the case, I don't think you should carry on with the applications since you won't enjoy the subject at uni and it's not too late to switch to a different degree subject.

Hi
I decided to take a joint degree of film with philosophy in Holloway, which seems to align with my interests far more than maths and physics!
Thank you for your concern :smile:
I
Original post by GreenCub
What course did you apply to (as in, what subject)?

Original post by Anonymous1502
What course did you apply for?I also hate 2/3 of my a levels.I think nothing really prepares you for a levels it is a whole new different ball game.You only really have an opinion whether you enjoy a subject or not what it is too late to change unfortunately.

I decided to chose film with philosophy
(edited 4 years ago)

A-levels really are a blind jump. Have you checked to see if you could change sixth form? Sticking to 2 subjects which you do not enjoy is too stressfull...
A-levels really are a blind jump. Have you checked to see if you could change sixth form? Sticking to 2 subjects which you do not enjoy is too stressfull...

I am also in year 13 a bit too late now.
I

I decided to chose film with philosophy

I'm fairly confused. You're in year 13 so your exams must be coming up, so what do you mean when you talk about switching subjects?
I am also in year 13 a bit too late now.

I managed to take an extra A-level on my first language- maybe you can do something similar?
I managed to take an extra A-level on my first language- maybe you can do something similar?

No way I speak my mother tongue on the level of a 7 year old.
By switching subjects I meant if i could choose another subject after I had done my exams in the following year instead of retaking the same A-levels
I'm fairly confused. You're in year 13 so your exams must be coming up, so what do you mean when you talk about switching subjects?
By switching subjects I meant if i could choose another subject after I had done my exams in the following year instead of retaking the same A-levels

So you're already planning to retake your A levels next year? What other subjects do you have in mind?
no- I decided to take a film with philosophy degree instead of doing retakes on another subject, as my head of sixth form told that it would'nt be possible -_-
So you're already planning to retake your A levels next year? What other subjects do you have in mind?
the language a-level tests at a fairly basic level-maybe there is still a slight chance...
Other than that its a leap of faith. A-Levels are not the end of the world and exams will soon be over! :biggrin:
No way I speak my mother tongue on the level of a 7 year old.

Quick Reply

Latest