The Student Room Group

Instagram to trial 'hiding' likes on posts

Instagram are trialing hiding the number of likes visible on everyone's posts other than your own, in a new experiment due to research that claims that social media 'likes' and engagement can be bad for mental health.

Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri said it was hoped the change would make the platform a "less pressurised environment".

What do you think? Do you think the pressure of how many likes you get on platforms such as Instagram is real?

What do you think the effect will be on influencers who use Instagram as a way to earn money based on engagement (i.e. likes) if this is rolled out? Would this be the death of the 'social media influencer?'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't have Instagram as its owned by Facebook, but this can only be beneficial. People can become way too obsessive over what is essentially meaningless numbers on a screen. It warps your view of what is real and meaningful in life
Original post by StrawberryDreams

Instagram are trialing hiding the number of likes visible on everyone's posts other than your own, in a new experiment due to research that claims that social media 'likes' and engagement can be bad for mental health.

Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri said it was hoped the change would make the platform a "less pressurised environment".

What do you think? Do you think the pressure of how many likes you get on platforms such as Instagram is real?

What do you think the effect will be on influencers who use Instagram as a way to earn money based on engagement (i.e. likes) if this is rolled out? Would this be the death of the 'social media influencer?'

Doesn't that the defeat the point of having social media
Reply 3
Hell no.
Personally I don't see much benefit to this, even assuming the basis behind it is substantial - by being able to see your own likes, surely you'd still have a potential impact on mental health? For instance, you may compare a post you made a few days/weeks/months ago to a current one, and see that it has fewer likes. It's not just others that people compare themselves to, after all.
Reply 5
(cosplay community screaming in hellish fury in the distance for multiple reasons)
Celebrities, instagram influencers, digital marketeers and the world's selfie addicted attention seekers are not going to like this at all.
Reply 7
Sucks to be a narcissist...
sure, don't see the problem. May be helpful to some people out there...
It doesn't change anything right? You'll still be able to see your own, and compare numbers of followers.
Original post by londonmyst
Celebrities, instagram influencers, digital marketeers and the world's selfie addicted attention seekers are not going to like this at all.
Kardashians/Jenners will hate this.
Original post by DerivativeName
It doesn't change anything right? You'll still be able to see your own, and compare numbers of followers.

I doubt the kardashians or other selfie addicts suffering from obsessive compulsive likes envy will see it that way.

Yet we will not know.
Original post by Notoriety
Yet we will not know.

An army of paparazzi's make it their mission in life to tell the world whenever a volatile celeb is having a meltdown, relationship problems or has a secret.
The gossip columns will be full of unstable celebrity exhibitionists with anger management issues throwing a hissy fit or worse, based on the fact that they don't know how their instagram selfie likes compares with that of their biggest rival, worst frenemy or ex's new partner.
An army of paparazzi's make it their mission in life to tell the world whenever a volatile celeb is having a meltdown, relationship problems or has a secret.
The gossip columns will be full of unstable celebrity exhibitionists with anger management issues throwing a hissy fit or worse, based on the fact that they don't know how their instagram selfie likes compares with that of their biggest rival, worst frenemy or ex's new partner.

You have a macabre perspective on life, has anyone ever told you that?
Original post by Notoriety
You have a macabre perspective on life, has anyone ever told you that?

Yes, the bad tempered rottweiller I'm looking after did- 5 mins ago.
She wanted to attack my leg but a cat got there first.
She is deeply insulted.
I'd like them to ditch likes altogether.

It's nothing but a digital penis waving contest.
Reply 17
Seems a mixture of 'too little too late' and 'duh' here..
well someone is gonna have to feed ma ego
I don't use instagram as a lot of it just seems vacous self absorbed nonsense. The only time I've ever had the slight desire to make an account is to post my art as it is easier than making a website.
If it is stressing people out they could just not use it :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending