The Student Room Group

Local election results - rejection of Brexit?

The only parties to have gained seats in the elections are parties that are expressly anti-Brexit.
Coincidence?

Scroll to see replies

I think it is more to do with the atrocious handling a Brexit by the ruling government and the supposed "opposition".

Once you rule out voting Tory or Labour you aren't left with many other credible options.
I don't know, the Lib Dems seem to be a very good local party, so maybe it was a victory on local issues rather than a rejection of Brexit?
Yes.

Sure, the Lib Dems have picked up vote in Leave areas, as well as Remain. Doesn't that show how the tide is turning? Leavers have changed their minds and see the error of their ways?

I put it to you that this is a classic protest vote against the two main parties. Both of them have lost seats because they are letting the country down and miring us in chaos. We aren't leaving and we haven't revoked Article 50. Why should anyone vote for either of them?

Plus these are local elections, they matter. I am as passionate about Brexit as anyone here on TSR and more than most. I completely despise the Tory Party, and this Government. But my local council is very well run. We have good services,the bin collection is first class, they are improving the town. Above all the Council Tax is very low. I have a beach house in Wales and the local authority there is Labour controlled. The rubbish collection is pitiable (in fact I always bring it home which is a total pain), local services are far worse, and although my main house is worth more than three times my second home the council tax is still appreciably higher for the latter.

So I voted for the two Tories in my local ward, holding my nose, and despite Brexit.
Reply 4
It makes no sense to punish local councillors for what the muppets in Westminster are up to, my council is fairly well run and it would be a shot in the foot to have such good people slung out because of Brexit. It's nonsense to vote that way if you're happy with your local authority.

As for the MEPs round... that's the one where we're free to let it all hang out at no cost to anything. Definitely voting Brexit at that one before reverting to form to prevent the loony left from taking over this country.
Original post by QE2
The only parties to have gained seats in the elections are parties that are expressly anti-Brexit.
Coincidence?

I don't think its easy to make a full case against brexit out of the results. I mean if you just take party stances its:

1236 - for parties that fully support brexit (con + UkIP)
894 - for parties that support brexit but are open to a referendum(labor)
611 - for parties that fully support remaining (lib + green)
370 - ?? independants, who knows.

Just from the numbers so far, if we were to make it entirely about brexit it doesn't look like you could make a case for remaining, but you could make a case for the public wanting a second referendum. And you can definetly make the case that remainers are far more passionate and motivated currently then leavers.

But its all pretty pointless - the EU elections will be more interesting for gauging how people feel about brexit.
Deciding on who you want to make the bin collection schedule has no bearing on Brexit in any way.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming Peterborough by-election and EU elections. Or will those results not count if a Brexit supporting party does well? :wink:
Original post by QE2
Coincidence?

Hard to say. I think there’s a strong case to make that there is a rejection of the main parties approach to brexit (both in terms of Tory’s being ineffective in government and labour being ineffective as opposition)
Reply 9
Original post by QE2
Coincidence?

They won those seats because so many frustrated Brexiteers voted either with their feet or as a means of protest at the sabotaging behind the scenes. When the Brexit party win the MEP election, that will be no coincidence either. What was the turnout again?
Reply 10
Does anyone know what the turnout was?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48142181

It doesn't say.
The Eu-elections will be a better indication than local council elections barely anybody knows about.
Reply 12
The people of Hull stayed away from the polling stations with a Brexit backlash blamed for voter apathy.

There was a fear turnout figures could dip below the dreaded 10 per cent mark in some wards.

While that never materialised, areas like Marfleet in East Hull only managed a 13 per cent turnout and in total the turnout across Hull stood at 22.2 per cent.

This number was lower than last year's turnout, which saw 25 per cent of the electorate cast their votes.

and...

The election also saw a record number of spoiled ballot papers, a sign that many people vented their anger with a pencil once they reached the poling station.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/turnout-local-council-elections-2019-2827144
Reply 13
Original post by generallee
Yes.

Sure, the Lib Dems have picked up vote in Leave areas, as well as Remain. Doesn't that show how the tide is turning? Leavers have changed their minds and see the error of their ways?

I put it to you that this is a classic protest vote against the two main parties. Both of them have lost seats because they are letting the country down and miring us in chaos. We aren't leaving and we haven't revoked Article 50. Why should anyone vote for either of them?

Plus these are local elections, they matter. I am as passionate about Brexit as anyone here on TSR and more than most. I completely despise the Tory Party, and this Government. But my local council is very well run. We have good services,the bin collection is first class, they are improving the town. Above all the Council Tax is very low. I have a beach house in Wales and the local authority there is Labour controlled. The rubbish collection is pitiable (in fact I always bring it home which is a total pain), local services are far worse, and although my main house is worth more than three times my second home the council tax is still appreciably higher for the latter.

So I voted for the two Tories in my local ward, holding my nose, and despite Brexit.

Oh wow how you've come to eat your own words :lol:
It was only yesterday you were predicting the English would rise up and piss all over anything that even sniffed of Europe in the elections. Brexit party indeed.
Reply 14
Original post by Andrew97
The Eu-elections will be a better indication than local council elections barely anybody knows about.

Debatable, theyre almost as unknown about as the local ones :L
Original post by DarthRoar
Deciding on who you want to make the bin collection schedule has no bearing on Brexit in any way.

It does when the bin lorry is flying the same flag as local government. I try to be objective in my local votes but could never bring myself to vote Tory or UKIP on ideological grounds, regardless of their local policies.
Glad to see the smoking remnant of UKIP without Farage has lost seats :smile:
Gosh there were some intelligent people spoiling their ballot papers.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/SpoilYourBallot?src=hash
This video is pretty hilarious

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-48146485/election-results-mp-vicky-ford-upset-as-tories-lose-council

Not because of the crying - in fact she comes across as passionate about local council which is great - but because she (and the wider conservative party) seem fixated that this was because we want Brexit quicker. What planet are they on?!

She effectively says in the video 'look you idiot voters you've now put a party in power who doesn't even want Brexit'. Erm... yeah!

And to round it all off, their theory is completely put to bed when we see UKIP dying its presumably final death. If the people wanted to use this election to show frustrations at lack of Brexit, surely we'd have seen a sharp rise in UKIP votes. We didn't.

Not pretending that this is in any shape or form equivalent to a national Brexit poll. Its the tories that are doing that. Then somehow reaching the conculsion that its lack of Brexit that's caused their wipeout...?!

Original post by Decahedron
I think it is more to do with the atrocious handling a Brexit by the ruling government and the supposed "opposition".

Once you rule out voting Tory or Labour you aren't left with many other credible options.

If you're wanting to send a message about Brexit its pretty obvious what people would have done.

Voted UKIP.
Original post by nexttime
This video is pretty hilarious

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-48146485/election-results-mp-vicky-ford-upset-as-tories-lose-council

Not because of the crying - in fact she comes across as passionate about local council which is great - but because she (and the wider conservative party) seem fixated that this was because we want Brexit quicker. What planet are they on?!

She effectively says in the video 'look you idiot voters you've now put a party in power who doesn't even want Brexit'. Erm... yeah!

And to round it all off, their theory is completely put to bed when we see UKIP dying its presumably final death. If the people wanted to use this election to show frustrations at lack of Brexit, surely we'd have seen a sharp rise in UKIP votes. We didn't.

Not pretending that this is in any shape or form equivalent to a national Brexit poll. Its the tories that are doing that. Then somehow reaching the conculsion that its lack of Brexit that's caused their wipeout...?!

If you're wanting to send a message about Brexit its pretty obvious what people would have done.

Voted UKIP.

Not really because UKIP aren't relevant anymore, Lib Dems are still polling less than in 2010 when they were at their peak, and even then they were easily the 3rd party so these results are nothing to shout about.
The big test will be on 23rd of May when the brexit party enter the fray.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending