The Student Room Group

In Islam if you love someone sincerely does Allah help you to be with that person?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe sometimes, but more importantly I think; you can think you love someone and they would not be the best match for you. So Allah would prevent you from being with that person because it is not good for you or there's someone else that would be better.
I believe in situations like that it's best to pray esteshara (I butchered the English spelling but: دعاء الاستخارة) and be happy/accept whatever happens.
No, if you love someone you should approach them, whatever the reaction happens to be isn't up to you or anyone else, just the person you've approached.
Original post by Anonymous

In a way yes, because Allah wants you to be happy at the end of the day but not just happy, he wants what will be right for you so if you feel Allahs hindering you from a person do istikhara as mentioned and then see from there. Otherwise approach the person have conversation about how you are feeling, maybe it's a sixth sense of doubt and you may find out what the cause of your doubt is that Allah maybe is signalling to you.
Reply 4

You have it the wrong way round. In Islam, Allah determines who you will love and if you will be with them. You have no say in the matter (even if you feel you do). The outcome of all events is inevitable. You can only do and think what Allah has already decreed you will.
Reply 5
Original post by amazingf
In a way yes, because Allah wants you to be happy at the end of the day

But not everyone is happy and as the outcome of all events is determined by Allah, he must want some people to be unhappy.
Reply 6
Depends on how old they are.
Original post by QE2
You have it the wrong way round. In Islam, Allah determines who you will love and if you will be with them. You have no say in the matter (even if you feel you do). The outcome of all events is inevitable. You can only do and think what Allah has already decreed you will.

It's not inevitable, you can change destiny according to islam too. Ofcourse you have a say, Allah made humans to have free will.
Original post by QE2
But not everyone is happy and as the outcome of all events is determined by Allah, he must want some people to be unhappy.

THeyre not happy because life is a test those who pass the sadness will rewarded
Reply 9
It's not inevitable, you can change destiny according to islam too.

How can you change destiny? It would mean that Allah did not know what was going to happen!

Of course you have a say, Allah made humans to have free will.

We can't have free will if Allah is infallibly omniscient and determines the outcome of all events. Think about it.
Reply 10
Original post by QE2
How can you change destiny? It would mean that Allah did not know what was going to happen!

We can't have free will if Allah is infallibly omniscient and determines the outcome of all events. Think about it.

I dont think you understand the concept of free will. We choose what we do, but God knows what we will do.
Reply 11
THeyre not happy because life is a test those who pass the sadness will rewarded

Therefore Allah wants them to be unhappy in this world. Why do you think Allah wants some people to be unhappy?
And life cannot be a test because Allah already knows all the results because he decreed what they will be.
Original post by QE2

Humans can consciously make decisions, therefore we have free will. Just because Allah knows all and knows what we are going to do doesn't mean we won't chose that decision consciously.
Reply 13
Original post by CaCoon
I dont think you understand the concept of free will. We choose what we do, but God knows what we will do.

1. Allah already knows what we are going to do for every thought and action. He has known since before creation.
2. Allah can never be wrong.
3. Therefore, at any given moment there is only one possible "choice" we can make - the one Allah already knows we are going to make.
4. As every thought and action is inevitable, and it is impossible for us to do any other, we have no free will - even though it may seem that we are freely choosing.

Example:
Allah knows you are going to have chicken chow mein for dinner at the restaurant on Tuesday.
When you read the menu, you feel as if you are able to freely choose anything you like.
However, it is impossible for you to choose anything other than chicken chow mein. Your choice is inevitable, despite it feeling like free-will.
If you chose anything else, you would have proved Allah wrong, and that is impossible.
Simply by having infallible foreknowledge, Allah removes our free will - although we are unaware that it has been removed.
Reply 14
Original post by QE2
1. Allah already knows what we are going to do for every thought and action. He has known since before creation.
2. Allah can never be wrong.
3. Therefore, at any given moment there is only one possible "choice" we can make - the one Allah already knows we are going to make.
4. As every thought and action is inevitable, and it is impossible for us to do any other, we have no free will - even though it may seem that we are freely choosing.

Example:
Allah knows you are going to have chicken chow mein for dinner at the restaurant on Tuesday.
When you read the menu, you feel as if you are able to freely choose anything you like.
However, it is impossible for you to choose anything other than chicken chow mein. Your choice is inevitable, despite it feeling like free-will.
If you chose anything else, you would have proved Allah wrong, and that is impossible.
Simply by having infallible foreknowledge, Allah removes our free will - although we are unaware that it has been removed.

God exists outside of time. Imagine creating a simulation, and you see everything that will happen. Now if you replay that simulation, you never actually cause what happens in it but you know what will happen.

Bad example but the point is God knowing everything does not restrict our free will in any way
Original post by CaCoon
God exists outside of time. Imagine creating a simulation, and you see everything that will happen. Now if you replay that simulation, you never actually cause what happens in it but you know what will happen.

Bad example but the point is God knowing everything does not restrict our free will in any way

Exactly, God is beyond all space and time. We are set upon a path, with our fate ahead of us, as soon as we enter this world. Yet our will and our actions are meaningful and important because, by Allah’s will, this the way we can change our fate. I actually get the point that free will and predestination seem mutually exclusive but really it feels beyond our knowleddge but to sum it up into perspective it makes sense... unlike angels or animals, humans have the free will to choose to do good or evil in this life and that even though God knows people’s ultimate destination, they themselves do not have that knowledge. Therefore, whatever actions people commit are based on their free will, for which they are held accountable.
Reply 16

The muslim should make dua to Allah for guidance and for Allah to bring closer things or people that are good for them, and to distance things or people that are bad for them. The muslim can ask Allah for anything, but although you can do this it may not necessarily be the best thing for you so the muslim should refrain from asking for things in this way.

For example, if I am looking for a job and a job opportunity comes my way I will ask Allah to grant me this job if it is good for me. I will then continue to look in to this job to assess from my perspective and understanding whether this job seems good for me or not, and then I will apply if I feel it is. If I do not get a position then alhamdolillah, if I do get a position then alhamdolillah. I have done my best, done my research, my intention was pure, and I asked Allah to grant me it if only it is good for me.

You can apply the same scenario to your question. Don't let emotional attachment or just looks be the basis of your decision, but rather look at what you really should be looking for in a spouse which is:
- Someone who shows importance to the deen and wants to expand their Islamic knowledge
- Someone with good character
- and then someone who you are attracted to because you should also be attracted to the person you wish to spend the rest of your life.
Reply 17
Humans can consciously make decisions, therefore we have free will.

This is just begging the question. If those "decisions" are inevitable and can only be one possibility, then they are not really "decisions". The "free will" is a result of being able to affect our own destiny, and if Allah determines the outcome of all events, how can we affect our own destiny?

Just because Allah knows all and knows what we are going to do doesn't mean we won't chose that decision consciously.

This is the point. Under Allah's infallible omniscience, you cannot "choose" any other "decision".
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by CaCoon

Can the replay of the simulation be different from the first run? If it can, Allah doesn't know what is going to happen. If not, no free will.
Simple.

Bad example
In which case you will have no trouble in explaining its flaws.

but the point is God knowing everything does not restrict our free will in any way

I have explained in detail how it must do. If Allah's infallible omniscience does not restrict free will, you should be able to explain why. Simple assertion is not sufficient. And you will also have to take predestination into account as well as infallible omniscience. That alone negates free will!
Reply 19
Original post by DrTSR
The muslim should make dua to Allah for guidance and for Allah to bring closer things or people that are good for them, and to distance things or people that are bad for them.

How can this work? Does Allah change his perfect plan if asked?
Firstly, that doesn't seem very likely as I'm sure that, being infallible, Allah's plan will be better than ours. Second, if Allah did change his plan after he had made it, then at some point he couldn't have known what was going to happen. He was seeing his plan unfolding whereas it was actually going to be someone else's.

For example, if I am looking for a job and a job opportunity comes my way I will ask Allah to grant me this job if it is good for me. I will then continue to look in to this job to assess from my perspective and understanding whether this job seems good for me or not, and then I will apply if I feel it is. If I do not get a position then alhamdolillah, if I do get a position then alhamdolillah. I have done my best, done my research, my intention was pure, and I asked Allah to grant me it if only it is good for me.

Either Allah already knew and decreed that you would get the job, in which case all your dua, research, efforts, etc had no effect - or you weren't going to get the job until you asked Allah and he intervened and changed your destiny, which disproves several of the Islamic claims about Allah.

It's an insoluble paradox created by the desire for Allah to be omni-everything and control everything, as well as for man to have free will so heaven and hell make sense. The two are simply mutually exclusive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending