The Student Room Group

My insurance is higher in the league tables than my firm

My firm is KCL which I need AAB for and have applied for European (& International) Studies (French Pathway) and my insurance is Bath ABB for European Studies with French and Italian ab initio. The new league tables for 2020 have come out and Bath has gone up two places, 9th, whilst KCL is still not even in the top 20 unis in the UK. I don't know if I've made a mistake choosing KCL over Bath.

My reasons for why I chose KCL is because of London and that I think they'll be way more opportunities for me out there and I love the diversity of London. However it is ridiculously expensive. Also the degree includes international studies as well as European, meaning that I'm able to explore the politics of the Middle East if I wanted to and I can't do that with Bath, which was one of the main reasons why I preferred King's degree. Though Bath includes two languages in the degree which I think is a massive benefit for when I'm looking for a job, also Bath is way cheaper.

But I don't know anymore, should I stop taking league tables into account? Will Bath be a better career decision for me in terms of university reputation?

Please help:/
Original post by RoseRouge
My firm is KCL which I need AAB for and have applied for European (& International) Studies (French Pathway) and my insurance is Bath ABB for European Studies with French and Italian ab initio. The new league tables for 2020 have come out and Bath has gone up two places, 9th, whilst KCL is still not even in the top 20 unis in the UK. I don't know if I've made a mistake choosing KCL over Bath.

My reasons for why I chose KCL is because of London and that I think they'll be way more opportunities for me out there and I love the diversity of London. However it is ridiculously expensive. Also the degree includes international studies as well as European, meaning that I'm able to explore the politics of the Middle East if I wanted to and I can't do that with Bath, which was one of the main reasons why I preferred King's degree. Though Bath includes two languages in the degree which I think is a massive benefit for when I'm looking for a job, also Bath is way cheaper.

But I don't know anymore, should I stop taking league tables into account? Will Bath be a better career decision for me in terms of university reputation?

I don't think prestige/reputation will matter so much for a language based career, your reasons for originally choosing kcl sound like good logic to me.

You need to stop obsessing over league tables because you won't go far wrong with Kings or Bath and the position of particular unis varies from year to year (and from one league table to another). The city of Bath is so different to London, just pick whichever environment appeals to you the most (they'll both be expensive btw).

I would just Firm the Uni you prefer as that is the one that you are most likely to end up at, and not base your choice on league tables.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
I don't think prestige/reputation will matter so much for a language based career, your reasons for originally choosing kcl sound like good logic to me.

True! Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
You need to stop obsessing over league tables because you won't go far wrong with Kings or Bath and the position of particular unis varies from year to year (and from one league table to another). The city of Bath is so different to London, just pick whichever environment appeals to you the most (they'll both be expensive btw).

I would just Firm the Uni you prefer as that is the one that you are most likely to end up at, and not base your choice on league tables.

Thank you!!
Reply 5

That's the problem with league tables - people read too much into them and make their choices based off a few differences in ranking. In reality, it barely makes a difference as they're two very good, reputable universities.

Your reasons for choosing Kings over Bath make sense and are logical in terms of why you'd choose it. Don't be swayed by league tables.
Here are four words I always use as guidance: the course is king. Very little else matters as this is what you will be spending your time and money on over the next few years. I was loved languages but hated the literature. However because I had no careers advisor I ended up at Manchester doing a traditional literature degree when there were pure languages degrees to choose from. Unfortunately there was no internet around in those days either. I was perfectly miserable on my course and even tried to leave part way through. Do not heed the league tables as next year the rankings may be different again. Trust your original instincts and stick with your firm choice
Reply 7
Original post by Arisapo
That's the problem with league tables - people read too much into them and make their choices based off a few differences in ranking. In reality, it barely makes a difference as they're two very good, reputable universities.

Your reasons for choosing Kings over Bath make sense and are logical in terms of why you'd choose it. Don't be swayed by league tables.

Yeah I guess it's because school puts so much emphasis on them:/ Thank you!!
Reply 8
Original post by Oxford Mum
Here are four words I always use as guidance: the course is king. Very little else matters as this is what you will be spending your time and money on over the next few years. I was loved languages but hated the literature. However because I had no careers advisor I ended up at Manchester doing a traditional literature degree when there were pure languages degrees to choose from. Unfortunately there was no internet around in those days either. I was perfectly miserable on my course and even tried to leave part way through. Do not heed the league tables as next year the rankings may be different again. Trust your original instincts and stick with your firm choice

That's so true! Course is king! I'm the same as you, I'm not too into the literature part either! Thank you so much for your advice! I will stick to King's :smile:
Wise girl xx
Original post by claireestelle

Being higher in the league table does not make the course more prestigious or have a better rep, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending