The Student Room Group

Should I apply for BSc or BA for geography teaching?

Hi all.
I’m currently in Year 12 and starting UCAS next week and my homework is to finalise my 5 choices for 2020 which is tedious.

I’m wanting to get into geography teaching. I’m currently studying a levels in English Literature, Sociology and of course Geography.

Should I apply for BSc (this attracts me due to lower entry requirements and it’s still geography)

I’m stressing as both courses are not with hons meaning I might not be qualified to do a PGCE😃😕😕
Original post by MrXtra
Hi all.
I’m currently in Year 12 and starting UCAS next week and my homework is to finalise my 5 choices for 2020 which is tedious.

I’m wanting to get into geography teaching. I’m currently studying a levels in English Literature, Sociology and of course Geography.

Should I apply for BSc (this attracts me due to lower entry requirements and it’s still geography)

I’m stressing as both courses are not with hons meaning I might not be qualified to do a PGCE😃😕😕

It doesn't make a difference for the pgce as long as it's a geography degree that's what matters.
Reply 2
Usually, BSc would be more physical geography, BA would be more human geography. Either would be fine for teaching, so just go with the side you prefer.
Hey there!

I am a final year student at Oxford Brookes will graduate next month with a BSc (Honours) Geography. I choose to do a BSc due to preferring physical geography over human geography. BSc stands for Bachelor of Science which suggests you have focused more on science whereas BA stands for Bachelor of Arts which suggests a focus on arts - in geography this could be there development, political or even economic geography.

With regards to gaining a PGCE afterwards, I know of people who have gone on to do this with both BSc or BA Geography; so I do not feel that should affect your decision. However, if you wanted some more information, the 'PGCE Get Into Teaching' website has plenty of pathways into teaching.

Where have you looked at if neither of the courses have the 'Honours' component? Our courses at Oxford Brookes have this component and when I was looking round other universities making my decisions their courses did too. If this is what you feel will affect your ability to get onto a PGCE course, then I would suggest looking for the 'Honours' part of the degree as well!!

I hope this is helpful. As I said I have just completed my degree in BSc Geography, so please let me know if I can help or offer advice in any way!!

Issy
Original post by MrXtra
Hi all.

Original post by MrXtra
Hi all.

Which courses are you looking at that don't have honours?
Reply 5
Try to get one with hons if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending