Reply 1
Change it to degrees
Reply 2
but I need the answer in radians in terms of pi
Original post by Cov3rt
Change it to degrees
Original post by emiuk
but I need the answer in radians in terms of pi

How are you obtaining the radians on your calculator??

Some fairly simple rational coefficients of π\pi can be obtained and shown; i.e. 7π2+4π3=29π6\dfrac{7\pi}{2} + \dfrac{4\pi}{3} = \dfrac{29\pi}{6}

but others might be too much for a calculator; i.e. 11π59+28π13=7.35222...\dfrac{11\pi}{59} + \dfrac{28\pi}{13} = 7.35222.... But this is not that much of a problem. Just ignore pi and do "11/59 + 28/13" first and that will give you the fraction. Then include pi alongside it, job done.

Also when doing something like inverse cosine of a number, you're not always going to get a multiple of pi for your calculator to show, so don't expect it every time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm getting the radians because it's in the radians mode. Thanks for this, but I was more specifically looking to see if there was another mode I could change it to since this one for some reason suddenly stopped working (for example tan-1(45) will come up as 1.54857.... instead of pi/2 as it used to)
Original post by RDKGames
How are you obtaining the radians on your calculator??

Some fairly simple rational coefficients of π\pi can be obtained and shown; i.e. 7π2+4π3=29π6\dfrac{7\pi}{2} + \dfrac{4\pi}{3} = \dfrac{29\pi}{6}

but others might be too much for a calculator; i.e. 11π59+28π13=7.35222...\dfrac{11\pi}{59} + \dfrac{28\pi}{13} = 7.35222.... But this is not that much of a problem. Just ignore pi and do "11/59 + 28/13" first and that will give you the fraction. Then include pi alongside it, job done.

Also when doing something like inverse cosine of a number, you're not always going to get a multiple of pi for your calculator to show, so don't expect it every time.
just divide the answer by pi. if you get 0.3 then the answer was 0.3pi
Original post by emiuk
I'm getting the radians because it's in the radians mode. Thanks for this, but I was more specifically looking to see if there was another mode I could change it to since this one for some reason suddenly stopped working (for example tan-1(45) will come up as 1.54857.... instead of pi/2 as it used to)

But arctan(45)\arctan(45) is not π2\dfrac{\pi}{2}. Why would it come up as that?
Reply 7
in radians it is
But arctan(45)\arctan(45) is not π2\dfrac{\pi}{2}. Why would it come up as that?
Original post by emiuk
in radians it is

But it's not...

The answer is something 'close' to pi/2, but it's not exactly pi/2
Reply 9
thanks !!
Original post by the bear
just divide the answer by pi. if you get 0.3 then the answer was 0.3pi
Reply 10
ok but for the questions on my exam when it asks to find an angle giving the the answer in pi i need the pi form
But it's not...

The answer is something 'close' to pi/2, but it's not exactly pi/2
Original post by emiuk

Try resetting your calculator completely:

*shift, 9, 3, =, AC*

and then change back to the radians mode via your setup, if there is any problem, this should hopefully fix it if it is displaying unexpected results.
Original post by emiuk
ok but for the questions on my exam when it asks to find an angle giving the the answer in pi i need the pi form

Then those angles will be simple ones, definitely not something where you need to know or write arctan(45).
Reply 13
yeah I tried it but it didn't work :frown:
Original post by Strelzo
Try resetting your calculator completely:

*shift, 9, 3, =, AC*

and then change back to the radians mode via your setup, if there is any problem, this should hopefully fix it if it is displaying unexpected results.
Original post by emiuk
yeah I tried it but it didn't work :frown:

Hmm, perhaps look online to see if there's another solution to your problem?I thought for sure that'd work, as it works for me whenever I have a calculator problem.
Then those angles will be simple ones, definitely not something where you need to know or write arctan(45).

i expect that the original problem involved arctan(1)
Reply 16
but I do need it.... for example a question is:
solve the equation of cot^2 x + cosec^2 x=7 giving all the solutions in the interval 0 x 2pi in terms of pi

and that comes to √1/3 =tanx I have worked out so far...

Reply 17
ive been looking for the past half an hour but found nothing useful :/
this happened to me with a different calculator a few days ago as well and after an hour or so it went back to showing pi. it's really reassuring to go into an exam knowing my calculator could f me over :smile:
Original post by Strelzo
Hmm, perhaps look online to see if there's another solution to your problem?I thought for sure that'd work, as it works for me whenever I have a calculator problem.
a) It does not reduce to 13=tanx\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}} = \tan x entirely.

b) Still not sure where you are pulling arctan(45) from, unless I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to say.
Reply 19
1) I used decimals to see if I was going in the right direction using 1/√3= tan x and I got all the angles right (I checked by converting the answer into decimals). I did this to check that I was doing the right method, but I still cant get the answers in pi form

2) it was just an example because it's what I used for one of the last ones where my calculator showed the answer in pi

(Original post by RDKGames)
a) It does not reduce to 13=tanx\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}} = \tan x entirely.

b) Still not sure where you are pulling arctan(45) from, unless I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to say.

Latest