The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry's been my worst average this year in tests so I'm kind of nervous. I did well in my prelim but I did a lot of past paper practice and the prelim was made up almost entirely of past paper questions so I feel like it isn't a representative mark since I had seen a lot of the questions before. I'm planning on doing nothing but chemistry revision this week though and hopefully that'll pay off. Good luck to everyone!
Original post by 536458
How's everyone feeling about the exam next week?

Chemistry isn't my best subject, so I'll be studying loads this week... hopefully I will do alright!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by WestDragon
One week of hard work then never touching them again sounds very motivating though!

Haha, me too... I quite enjoyed chemistry at N5 and CfE but this year, it's not been the most interesting/enjoyable for me. I'll be happy when I'm done with them for good! 😂
Reply 22
Original post by sbneelu
Chemistry's been my worst average this year in tests so I'm kind of nervous. I did well in my prelim but I did a lot of past paper practice and the prelim was made up almost entirely of past paper questions so I feel like it isn't a representative mark since I had seen a lot of the questions before. I'm planning on doing nothing but chemistry revision this week though and hopefully that'll pay off. Good luck to everyone!

Exactly the same here, I've been doing ~alright~ in tests and past papers, but not as well as I'd like to be... not sure how I'll do in the exam. Hopefully this week of hard revision will pay off for both of us! 🤞🏼
Original post by 536458
How's everyone feeling about the exam next week?

Chemistry isn't my best subject, so I'll be studying loads this week... hopefully I will do alright!

I'm feeling ok. Chemistry is my best and favourite subject (I know I'm weird) considering thr fact I decided to crash it this year (I'm S6) I hope I do well.
wait, what level are you guys studying at? GCSE, A level or Uni. I am doing GCSE and I am really scared. Can someone help me with naming formulas and compounds so like suffixes because I struggle.
Reply 25
Original post by bmarciel
wait, what level are you guys studying at? GCSE, A level or Uni. I am doing GCSE and I am really scared. Can someone help me with naming formulas and compounds so like suffixes because I struggle.

We're studying as Scottish Higher level, which is equivalent to A Level. Have you tried BBC Bitesize?

If you have any specific questions then ask them here and hopefully I (or someone else) can help answer them.
I can post a short note about naming and formulae later on.
(edited 4 years ago)
We're doing Scottish Higher Chemistry, which is about equivalent to AS Level.

By compound naming I'm assuming you mean organic chemistry? If so, I find that the best way is to just practise naming them because it's something you've got to memorise.

There are some rules that would help because it's very systematic. -an- means all single bonds, -en- means at least one double bond (-yn- means at least one triple bond but that's not in the Higher course and I'm assuming it's not in GCSE/AS level either, it may be in Advanced Higher (equivalent to A2 Level)).

The number of carbons is indicated by meth-, eth-, prop-, but-, pent-, etc. The number prefixes are di, tri, etc. Those apply to alkyl groups (branches in a chain), as well as bonds. So two methyl groups would be indicated with something like 2,2-dimethyl and a hydrocarbon with two double bonds would have -di- to show two and -ene- to show double bonds, so it'd end in -diene.

There are also suffixes for other functional groups, like -ol for alcohols, -al for aldehydes, -oic acid for carboxylic acids, -one for ketones and so on. They tend to bear resemblance to their group. Alcohol ends in -ol. Aldehyde starts with al-, ketone ends in -one, carboxylic acids are acids, and so on.

If you just practise naming them you'll get used to how they work. It's really systematic and it'll make sense with practice.

(Also sorry, I feel like that explanation was kind of rambly, I'm not the best at explaining things but there are loads of good resources online that could be quite helpful.)
Original post by bmarciel
So the Higher chemistry exam is in a few days and I am so the most unprepared for it and plus I hate it, especially the calculations unit.
How do you revise chemistry?
I need some tips to revise chemistry otherwise I’m failing..
any comment will be helpful
Thanks
Original post by katherine340
So the Higher chemistry exam is in a few days and I am so the most unprepared for it and plus I hate it, especially the calculations unit.
Thanks

I found this website even though it’s not my school, the exam level questions are past paper questions and really handy since they have mark schemes too. Since they are organised by topic it lets me get to grips with the course one bit at a time. I would recommend working through some of the exam questions, even if you just do questions for the areas you feel you need to work on the most.

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/er/mchchemistrydepartmentblog/sample-page/higher/
Thank you, I’ll try to memorise them.
Original post by sbneelu
We're doing Scottish Higher Chemistry, which is about equivalent to AS Level.

By compound naming I'm assuming you mean organic chemistry? If so, I find that the best way is to just practise naming them because it's something you've got to memorise.

There are some rules that would help because it's very systematic. -an- means all single bonds, -en- means at least one double bond (-yn- means at least one triple bond but that's not in the Higher course and I'm assuming it's not in GCSE/AS level either, it may be in Advanced Higher (equivalent to A2 Level)).

The number of carbons is indicated by meth-, eth-, prop-, but-, pent-, etc. The number prefixes are di, tri, etc. Those apply to alkyl groups (branches in a chain), as well as bonds. So two methyl groups would be indicated with something like 2,2-dimethyl and a hydrocarbon with two double bonds would have -di- to show two and -ene- to show double bonds, so it'd end in -diene.

There are also suffixes for other functional groups, like -ol for alcohols, -al for aldehydes, -oic acid for carboxylic acids, -one for ketones and so on. They tend to bear resemblance to their group. Alcohol ends in -ol. Aldehyde starts with al-, ketone ends in -one, carboxylic acids are acids, and so on.

If you just practise naming them you'll get used to how they work. It's really systematic and it'll make sense with practice.

(Also sorry, I feel like that explanation was kind of rambly, I'm not the best at explaining things but there are loads of good resources online that could be quite helpful.)
Original post by ailsa.02
I found this website even though it’s not my school, the exam level questions are past paper questions and really handy since they have mark schemes too. Since they are organised by topic it lets me get to grips with the course one bit at a time. I would recommend working through some of the exam questions, even if you just do questions for the areas you feel you need to work on the most.

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/er/mchchemistrydepartmentblog/sample-page/higher/

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

No problem!! Good luck for next week, I’m kinda freaking out about it! I have an English exam on the 8th so finding it hard to split my revision.
No problem!! Good luck for next week, I’m kinda freaking out about it! I have an English exam on the 8th so finding it hard to split my revision.

Good luck in English!
I’m really freaking out for chemistry as I got 50% in my prelim and I really struggle with it. In Nat 5 I was finding it so easy and got an A but this year I barely manage higher which makes me hate it.
Thanks

Have merged this into the main Higher Chemistry thread for you :smile:
Are antioxidants oxidising agents ?? Also I don’t understand any of the enthaply stuff ?!
Original post by Ali$hah
Are antioxidants oxidising agents ?? Also I don’t understand any of the enthaply stuff ?!

I don’t think we need to know about antioxidants and I also don’t have anything about them in my notes however they are reducing agents.
What about enthalpy do you not understand? Calculations? enthalpy change in potential energy diagrams?
Can anyone help with this multiple choice question? The answer is C but I have no idea why... :frown:
Attachment not found
(edited 4 years ago)
Hmm it says attachment not found... Could you send the question again please?

Can anyone help with this multiple choice question? The answer is C but I have no idea why... :frown:
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Here is my working hope it helps!! This is a comparing volumes of gases calculation by the wayE13FE56C-C51A-4940-8268-60A25A91F79C.jpg.jpeg
Antioxidants get oxidised themselves and therefore prevent other things from getting oxidised, so they're strong reducing agents since they get oxidised. What about enthalpy don't you understand?
Original post by Ali$hah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending